Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Open Source DIY Model 3 Console Wrap Template

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
would black matrix or satin go better for a black model 3?
That’s up to you, most people would go with Satin but my favorite is Matrix. For some reason Matrix does not photograph that well it looks better in person, it has a way of defusing the light and gives a very Matte look from 3+ feet away.

I agree with K on the matrix. It doesn't show as well or come out in photos, but IMO it looks incredibly high quality in person. The pattern adds thickness / durability and really conforms well to sharp edges and corners.

To K's point, while the pattern really isn't visible from a few+ ft. away and more matte in appearance, it's also is a bit more on the dark grey than black (which I personally think would accent a black 3 well).

Anyway, about 1 week in and I couldn't be happier with how matrix on blue turned out. More people need to post their install pics and observations!

Installed the chrome delete kit yesterday.

I spent considerable time on the first mirror, around 3 hrs. [with a lunch break] getting it perfect. The larger upper piece was especially difficult but I was very pleased with the outcome. The next mirror was 40 minutes, so while my learning curve was initially steep, it started going quicker.

I must of accidentally grabbed the wrong tube as I incorrectly installed the Passenger T2 wrap on the Drivers side. Everything was going great until that piece, then suddenly it was bubbled a lot more than usual (yeah, because it’s cut for the other side, dummy!). Not until I got to the Passengers side did I realize. I ended up just flipping the remaining Driver’s T2 upside down and installing it on the Passenger side. The tabs at the end didn’t fit properly, so a bit of Xacto/heat fixed it all up.

I’m not happy with the turn signal wraps. It was like they didn’t fit at all, and I actually went through both wraps on both sides. The video is frustrating because “line the top up, and boom, everything is perfect”. In reality, the top line on the turn signal is straight, the wrap isn’t. When you fold/wrap around and down, the vinyl doesn’t line up with the edge of the light. I even tried starting from the turn signal interior curve and wrapping out - didn’t work either. A ton of heating, pulling, and swearing, then ultimately the Xacto to make it all work. I may email to have a replacement sent, as I’m not totally happy with the finish.

Otherwise, the kit is very well put together and well thought out. If I have any criticism, it’s that some of the install videos are out of frame/out of focus/lack detail, especially with the initial line up of each piece. It can be frustrating to watch a video that makes it look easy/perfect, meanwhile you’re struggling. Oh well, not a big deal.

Ultimately, I made it work and the car looks great. Highly recommend if you’re going to do the delete.

Reactions: FreddDS

I spent considerable time on the first mirror, around 3 hrs. [with a lunch break] getting it perfect. The larger upper piece was especially difficult but I was very pleased with the outcome. The next mirror was 40 minutes, so while my learning curve was initially steep, it started going quicker.

I must of accidentally grabbed the wrong tube as I incorrectly installed the Passenger T2 wrap on the Drivers side. Everything was going great until that piece, then suddenly it was bubbled a lot more than usual (yeah, because it’s cut for the other side, dummy!). Not until I got to the Passengers side did I realize. I ended up just flipping the remaining Driver’s T2 upside down and installing it on the Passenger side. The tabs at the end didn’t fit properly, so a bit of Xacto/heat fixed it all up.

I’m not happy with the turn signal wraps. It was like they didn’t fit at all, and I actually went through both wraps on both sides. The video is frustrating because “line the top up, and boom, everything is perfect”. In reality, the top line on the turn signal is straight, the wrap isn’t. When you fold/wrap around and down, the vinyl doesn’t line up with the edge of the light. I even tried starting from the turn signal interior curve and wrapping out - didn’t work either. A ton of heating, pulling, and swearing, then ultimately the Xacto to make it all work. I may email to have a replacement sent, as I’m not totally happy with the finish.

Otherwise, the kit is very well put together and well thought out. If I have any criticism, it’s that some of the install videos are out of frame/out of focus/lack detail, especially with the initial line up of each piece. It can be frustrating to watch a video that makes it look easy/perfect, meanwhile you’re struggling. Oh well, not a big deal.

Ultimately, I made it work and the car looks great. Highly recommend if you’re going to do the delete.

I do think he should have a freeze frame of a picture of how each part looks installed, especially for the mirrors since theres so many overlaps in pieces. One side, I see some chrome after my mirror folds in since it wasnt 100% clear what the applied piece should look like. I might reapply it again later, good enough for me for now

T2 is tricky since both sides look similar, the easiest way to make sure you have it right is the side with the thicker triangle (Pacman with an overbite) should be facing the front and the thicker part on the bottom.

Fill out the form here and I'll send you the extra pieces you need: www.kenriko.com/pages/1up

Reactions: Rev-777 and ranova
I would probably go
would black matrix or satin go better for a black model 3?
with the matrix. I think satin would be too much in the middle ground on a black car. I have a chrome delete on my black car and the tint shop doing it talked me out of a satin/matte black vinyl. He said when it was done it would end up just looking grey and sort of like a faded black. He talked me into gloss black to match the car’s paint.

So I think matrix would be best bc it would look like a grey from a distance but have that texture look up close.

...The video is frustrating because “line the top up, and boom, everything is perfect”.

Sorry you had troubles with your install (really) but yeah, that is a pretty inaccurate summary. Kenriko gives a lot of detail on the indicators if you actually watched the video.

"The alignment is on the top edge... there should be a bit of overlap in the back... you don't want overlap in the front, it's better in the back... the side should line up.... what we'll have to work on is the triangle section... use a small amount of force.... it's very hard to get the front edge... too much material it will bunch up... bring in the heat gun... don't stretch too much...".

Seems quite detailed to me. Also the vinyl isn't going to 'line up' anywhere but the first alignment edge since the indicators are a sharp curve. Vinyl requires heat and moderate stretching to conform to curved surfaces like this. That's just how the stuff works, but this probably is the most challenging piece in the kit to get to look "just right" for sure.

Again, I don't mean to criticize your feedback... but I personally don't think the videos could have been more well detailed or presented.

Sorry you had troubles with your install (really) but yeah, that is a pretty inaccurate summary. Kenriko gives a lot of detail on the indicators if you actually watched the video.

"The alignment is on the top edge... there should be a bit of overlap in the back... you don't want overlap in the front, it's better in the back... the side should line up.... what we'll have to work on is the triangle section... use a small amount of force.... it's very hard to get the front edge... too much material it will bunch up... bring in the heat gun... don't stretch too much...".

Seems quite detailed to me. Also the vinyl isn't going to 'line up' anywhere but the first alignment edge since the indicators are a sharp curve. Vinyl requires heat and moderate stretching to conform to curved surfaces like this. That's just how the stuff works, but this probably is the most challenging piece in the kit to get to look "just right" for sure.

Again, I don't mean to criticize your feedback... but I personally don't think the videos could have been more well detailed or presented.

It certainly is a tough piece, I literally went through 100+ iterations before I got it to be a repeatable install.

That's really the crux of what a kit is afterall, not just the material but the install instructions that go along with the design decisions that allow for it to be repeatable. There's always room for improvement and if my filming conditions had been better (temps were much too high in my warehouse) I could have filmed more angles for each piece. I'll likely revisit the install video and tweak it when conditions improve and I get more feedback from installs.

Reactions: Rev-777
I’m partially through the install, side cameras and one mirror. The mirror requires a lot of attention but seemed to have worked well (I played/froze the video about 100 times). The side cameras were brutal. I went through both sets and had to trim them as well. I hope they hold up. I found the alignment very difficult to nail. The reflection in the chrome threw me whether I was lined up properly, the alignment to the curved section to the right of the Tesla logo is very hard to nail (on 2nd attempt I aligned further forward and then heated to stretch back to align properly in that spot). My suggestion would be creating some sort of template for that install; a piece of cardboard that surrounds the side marker with a couple of arrows to mark alignment points (front and back) for the wrap. There’s a good size slot behind the marker where you could slide the cardboard into.

My suggestion to other first time installers is leave the side cameras to the end (I started there). You’ll have a better feel for the material, how it stretches, how to use heat, etc.

Will update one I finish the rest.

Props to kenriko for creating a very well put together kit. Very professional, packaging is stellar, and quality is nice so far. Plus he’s super responsive if you need help.

Reactions: Rev-777
Funny, I found wrapping the repeaters to be one of the more satisfying parts of the install so far. I did my delete in this order: handles, passenger door trim, driver door trim, cameras. I haven't had time to do the mirrors just yet.

I used the inside curve of the repeaters as my alignment points. I figured that it would be easier to start there and stretch to reach the edges as needed, since you can tuck (or trim in the worst case) excess material on the outside but if you miss that inside line there aren't many options.

The repeaters really show how forgiving the material is. The front triangle part creates so many fingers as you start to press it down that it looks impossible. It's a bit magic how some heat and pulling can smooth everything out.

I must have been a little too quick when laying down the driver side T1 piece because while it all lined up perfectly, I ended up with an inch+ of stretch at the end. See attached picture. Nothing that some trimming and heat didn't fix up. Be gentle with that stretching!

Attachments

• IMG_20190825_211428.jpg
    IMG_20190825_211428.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 133
I must have been a little too quick when laying down the driver side T1 piece because while it all lined up perfectly, I ended up with an inch+ of stretch at the end. See attached picture. Nothing that some trimming and heat didn't fix up. Be gentle with that stretching!

The funny thing is that the material is cut 1/4th inch short for that piece to account for some stretch. It's very important that it's not too hot out when applying those pieces since they stretch really easily when warm.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
Batch 2 - Shipping Update. We continue to ship orders from batch two, many are being sent out today and we're still on track to have all batch two orders out by 8/30/19.

Batch 3! More will be made available starting 8/30/19 at 4PM Central (5PM Eastern and 2PM Pacific) Arizona can do their own time math since they like being contrarian.
Labor Day weekend Friday Rush hour - madlad

Ordered the chrome delete kit just now in from the Netherlands. I had the choice 3m*2.53m of 3m 108p S12 for 180$ or this kit for 220$.
Figured that although i get a lot more material with the first option this will be way faster and cleaner looking.
Looking forward to receive the kit and installing it on my white model 3.
Thanks.