Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open Vehicle Monitor System (OVMS) - Technical Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just checking if anyone else is having issues with OVMS at the moment. Mine has worked flawlessly, but now all of a sudden I'm just getting two green blinks and my app can't contact the car.

First thing to check would be SIM card account balance. If less than US$10, top it up.

If that is not the issue, then here is a checklist to work from:

Support FAQ | Open Vehicles

Yup I just checked the account right before you posted this reply. It had expired, which is weird since it shouldn't have hit the expiration date and still had a few bucks in it just a few days ago. I'll have to keep an eye on it I guess.

It varies by provider, but you typically need to have at least US$10 on the account to be able to establish a GPRS session.

I tried doing a search and looking at the list of codes in the Github list but don't see it. Any idea what this alert from the OVMS to my iPhone app is? Thanks.

open vehicle alert TR2N/1173 (00002000)

I tried doing a search and looking at the list of codes in the Github list but don't see it. Any idea what this alert from the OVMS to my iPhone app is? Thanks.

open vehicle alert TR2N/1173 (00002000)

I've been getting that error once a day now as well. I'm very curious what it is.
e218739794b38243cec952a876a93338.jpg

I found this in the manual:

CHARGEMODE <mode> <current>

Sets the Charging Mode to one of: STANDARD, STORAGE, RANGE, or PERFORMANCE and sets the maximum charging current to <current>, an integer. This command can only be issued by the registered Phone.

I can change the charge mode successfully:

CHARGEMODE RANGE
CHARGEMODE STANDARD

But nothing happens if I add an integer :(

Firmware version: 2.6.5/TR/V2

samehere, integer is not taken into account e.g.
chargemode standard 13

Help! How can I get the OVMS to stop fighting against me when I want to change the charging settings from the car?

I have location based charging set for cool down and to open my garage door. But, sometimes I want to set range or performance mode charging. The OVMS often doesn't have service in my garage, so I have to change the charging settings manually. However, when I push the buttons on the display to change the charging settings, the OVMS just keeps changing them back to standard mode charge.

Help! How can I get the OVMS to stop fighting against me when I want to change the charging settings from the car?

I have location based charging set for cool down and to open my garage door. But, sometimes I want to set range or performance mode charging. The OVMS often doesn't have service in my garage, so I have to change the charging settings manually. However, when I push the buttons on the display to change the charging settings, the OVMS just keeps changing them back to standard mode charge.

You say that your OVMS "often doesn't have service" in your garage.

When it DOES have service, send "ACC DISABLE", and you can override anything. When it DOESN'T have service, you will probably need to disconnect OVMS.

You say that your OVMS "often doesn't have service" in your garage.

When it DOES have service, send "ACC DISABLE", and you can override anything. When it DOESN'T have service, you will probably need to disconnect OVMS.

That seems like not a great solution. Why does OVMS keep forcing the charge mode, after the charge has finished? Can I program it to just charge at whatever setting the car is or was set to after cooldown is complete?

What if I set the ACC location to NOCHARGE, but with COOLDOWN enabled?

I have location based charging set for cool down and to open my garage door.

ACC (Advanced Charge Control) is a different beast. It's designed to supplement the (aka take over from) vehicle's own charge scheduling. See Mark's original post here.

To accomplish this, OVMS has to override what the car normally does, which is to charge at plug-in or charge at a certain time and then charge every 24 hours. But, OVMS doesn't know if it's you telling the car to charge to charge via the VDS because you want an additional charge, or the program in the car telling the car to charge that it's supposed to override.

The solution is that you have to tell the car to charge via OVMS - then it knows it's something that's supposed to happen. Rather than disable ACC, just use the OVMS App to initiate a charge (and you can change the settings there without affecting the ACC charge settings).

- - - Updated - - -

Can I program it to just charge at whatever setting the car is or was set to after cooldown is complete?

What if I set the ACC location to NOCHARGE, but with COOLDOWN enabled?

That may work, but your car would have to be set for something other than Charge At Plug-In via the VDS. Have you tried it?

I suspect that if your car is set to charge at Plug-in, then the COOLDOWN will override charging and the car won't charge until 24 hours later.
I suspect that if your car is set to charge at a certain time, then you'll get both COOLDOWN and whatever is set via the VDS.

Try it.

Sounds like it can't get a cellular lock (no reception).

A good starting point for troubleshooting is:

Support FAQ | Open Vehicles

Regards, Mark.
Speaking of cell reception, does anyone have any good ideas for upgraded cell antennas? My garage is just on the edge of reception . When the weather is good,it connects fine.But when it is cloudy it often doesn't connect.

Speaking of cell reception, does anyone have any good ideas for upgraded cell antennas? My garage is just on the edge of reception . When the weather is good,it connects fine.But when it is cloudy it often doesn't connect.

tesla-38888-7.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist :biggrin:

I am in the same situation. The 2.8.x firmware is about to be released, that tries to improve the edge reception cases, but it is tricky as sometimes even if GSM can be established, GPRS cannot. Being more tolerant to GSM edge cases, sometimes doesn't help if the GPRS connection fails anyway (or is worse if the GPRS only manages to stay up for a few seconds).

If anyone finds, or can recommend, a better cellular antenna, I would be interested. Presumably the pointy stick style would be better, but pretty hard to mount on the car.