Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open Vehicle Monitor System (OVMS) - Technical Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
500m is a lot of drift!!
Last year I caught one of the "vehicle on flatbed" alerts while recording a CAN log of the GPS data. It shows that the GPS data as received by the VMS in the Roadster is quite noisy.

What I see is a sharp deviation in the GPS position at the time of the alert. The deviation that triggered the alarm was followed by a deviation of larger magnitude about an hour later, but repeat alarms are disabled until the car is turned on and then parked again. The distance that triggered the warning was 640 meters, greater than the 500 meter default threshold. The larger distance that occurred about an hour later was 753 meters.

I'm attaching two graph screensots that need a high-resolution display to view. The first shows about one day of recorded GPS data and shows the deviations in the GPS latitude, longitude and altitude values. These are output as a sequence of three X,Y timeseries with the X values being GMT timestamps and the Y values being the difference in the GPS coordinate values relative to the first sample in the recording. The latitude and longitude values are in degrees (times 10^-3 as indicated at the top of the Y axis); the altitude values are in megameters to make them similar in scale to the lat/lon. A fourth timeseries shows the calculated distance relative to the first sample, again in megameters (so 0.6 on the 10^-3 scale is 600 meters). A fifth timeseries shows artificial values to mark GPS lock transitions; there was no transition near the time of the alert. The flatbed notification I received on my phone was at 21:30 GMT and in the data the spike begins at 1559079188.763 = 21:33:08. (The inaccuracy of the time is caused by a translation from system uptime to real time.)

The second screenshot shows the same graph data zoomed in on the spike that triggered the warning at 21:33.
wander.png zoomed.png

• Informative
Reactions: markwj and drewski
OVMS v3.2.011 is now being released to everyone (MAIN). Changelog below.

Biggest change is to support SSL for connections, which will allow us to switch to more secure authentication options, and reduce the complexity of installations. There is also a fix for 'awake' in Tesla Roadsters, and some improvements to the (still experimental) Model S/X support.

Code:
2020-04-05 MWJ  3.2.011 OTA release
- #327 Tesla Roadster: Vehicle AWAKE metric not correct
- #311 OvmsEvents::ScheduleEvent with delay_ms < 10
- #333 Support for SSL/TLS Trusted Certificate Authorities
- #334 Support for SSL/TLS MQTT connections in Server v3
- #335 Support for SSL/TLS MQTT connections in Server v2
- #338 SSL/TLS maximum segment size forced to 2048 bytes
- #341 Support paranoid mode in server v2
- #343 TPMS message has no -1 setting for "disable" in ovms_server_v2.cpp
- #342 OTA updates available (when not on wifi)
- #351 Tesla Model S: Spurious vehicle idle alerts after vehicle firmware update

For full changelog, see:
https://github.com/openvehicles/Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System-3/blob/master/vehicle/OVMS.V3/changes.txt

Reactions: drewski
Hi all you experts...novice here. Just had OVMS module installed, configured, and set up my online password etc. It was working fine, could see car, on the phone ap, can see on open vehicles.com, and can see OVMS module and talk to it from phone (eg the url 192.....). Then suddenly it stopped. I went through and re-entered passwords, rechecked config, and it started again. Then stopped. Then started. Then stopped (over last 3 days). Now I can't seem to get it started again.
THe issue seems to be the connection from the module to our home wifi....even though the signal is good at the car (in fact we installed a new router in garage to talk to tesla) and if I am in car, I can log on to our wifi no problem. The status board on the OVMS module (eg when I am reading the module from my phone (and phone is not on wifi, doing mobile data so I can both talk to OVMS and OVMS application) the OVMS status isn't seeing our home wifi ie the status board looks like the attached image and the ap doesn't see the OVMS server. Help or suggestions would be most appreciated

upload_2020-4-17_13-14-4.png
upload_2020-4-17_13-21-45.png
upload_2020-4-17_13-12-54.png

Hi all you experts...novice here. Just had OVMS module installed, configured, and set up my online password etc. It was working fine, could see car, on the phone ap, can see on open vehicles.com, and can see OVMS module and talk to it from phone (eg the url 192.....). Then suddenly it stopped. I went through and re-entered passwords, rechecked config, and it started again. Then stopped. Then started. Then stopped (over last 3 days). Now I can't seem to get it started again.
THe issue seems to be the connection from the module to our home wifi....even though the signal is good at the car (in fact we installed a new router in garage to talk to tesla) and if I am in car, I can log on to our wifi no problem. The status board on the OVMS module (eg when I am reading the module from my phone (and phone is not on wifi, doing mobile data so I can both talk to OVMS and OVMS application) the OVMS status isn't seeing our home wifi ie the status board looks like the attached image and the ap doesn't see the OVMS server. Help or suggestions would be most appreciated
To me this sounds like a WiFi LAN configuration issue where possibly there is an IP address conflict of some sort. That is my experience when I have seen situations such as this. Your statement that you "installed a new router in garage to talk to tesla" suggests this. Not knowing how you set up the router in your garage, whether it is simply an access point or it is set up as another router on top of your home router (double NAT), it is difficult to diagnose. I would start by confirming that your garage router is set up to avoid IP address conflicts.

• Helpful
Reactions: ra88it
A01E23FB-6518-4AB1-AE7C-19590954F339.jpeg
OVMS v3.2.011 is now being released to everyone (MAIN). Changelog below.

Biggest change is to support SSL for connections, which will allow us to switch to more secure authentication options, and reduce the complexity of installations. There is also a fix for 'awake' in Tesla Roadsters, and some improvements to the (still experimental) Model S/X support.

Code:
2020-04-05 MWJ  3.2.011 OTA release
- #327 Tesla Roadster: Vehicle AWAKE metric not correct
- #311 OvmsEvents::ScheduleEvent with delay_ms < 10
- #333 Support for SSL/TLS Trusted Certificate Authorities
- #334 Support for SSL/TLS MQTT connections in Server v3
- #335 Support for SSL/TLS MQTT connections in Server v2
- #338 SSL/TLS maximum segment size forced to 2048 bytes
- #341 Support paranoid mode in server v2
- #343 TPMS message has no -1 setting for "disable" in ovms_server_v2.cpp
- #342 OTA updates available (when not on wifi)
- #351 Tesla Model S: Spurious vehicle idle alerts after vehicle firmware update

For full changelog, see:
https://github.com/openvehicles/Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System-3/blob/master/vehicle/OVMS.V3/changes.txt

Hi @markwj. Thanks for your continued support and development of this product. I can’t tell you and others that own roadsters how important this product is. So thank you.

Curious if you have seen or heard of an issue with TPMS reporting through the app via this latest update. Suddenly I’ve noticed my left rear tire pressure temperature has sky rocketed. See image. The temperature in the car display is normal and working fine. This errant display in the app just started this week.

Reactions: ra88it
Hi @markwj. Thanks for your continued support and development of this product. I can’t tell you and others that own roadsters how important this product is. So thank you.

You are most welcome. The roadster community is unique and it has been a pleasure to work on this with you guys.

View attachment 533912

Curious if you have seen or heard of an issue with TPMS reporting through the app via this latest update. Suddenly I’ve noticed my left rear tire pressure temperature has sky rocketed. See image. The temperature in the car display is normal and working fine. This errant display in the app just started this week.

Nope, I haven't seen this. I would like to check the low-level data from your car. Please email me at mark (at) openvehicles (dot) com with your vehicle ID, and I will have a look at what your car is showing.

@markwj

Let me know what you find on @Rotarypower's car. Ours is doing the same thing. I will shoot you an email also.

I got your eMail, and found the issue. It is a new bug in the protocol v2 (the car metrics are fine - just the v2 protocol message messed up). I have fixed it, and released to 'bleeding edge' testers already as 3.2.011-13-g7d83320. Formal release will make it into 3.2.012 in early May. If you want to try manually, you can pick it up from:

I got your eMail, and found the issue. It is a new bug in the protocol v2 (the car metrics are fine - just the v2 protocol message messed up). I have fixed it, and released to 'bleeding edge' testers already as 3.2.011-13-g7d83320. Formal release will make it into 3.2.012 in early May. If you want to try manually, you can pick it up from:

wow....that’s customer service!!

I’ll download the update and confirm it fixes the issue. Thanks again Mark!

I do notice that not a lot of Roadster owners have their OTA (over the air updates) set to EAP (Early Access Program). It would be helpful if some of you could do this, so we can catch this sort of issue earlier. The levels we have are:
  • edge: Bleeding-edge nightly development builds (3.x.yyy-zzzzzz). Not recommended for anyone other than developers, as things may break.
  • eap: Early Access Program. Major builds (3.x.yyy) appear here about a week before full release. Used by owners wanting to help out with final real world pre-release testing, as well as getting early access to new features/fixes.
  • main: Main releases (3.x.yyy). The same as Early Access Program, and released once a month or so. This is the default for most users.
You can select this from the shell with:

config set ota tag eap​

The updates themselves are delivered over wifi (but you will get notification of update availability so long as you have at least a cellular data connection).

Thanks, Mark.

I do notice that not a lot of Roadster owners have their OTA (over the air updates) set to EAP (Early Access Program). It would be helpful if some of you could do this, so we can catch this sort of issue earlier..

Hi Mark. I enabled early access updates on my OVMS. Thanks for all the work you do on this hobbyist project. I hope others also enable EAP as you suggest so we can also contribute to the project.

BTW. I also see the TMPS error on my rear tires.

BDD5CC7E-670E-4B99-B08A-91DDEA5294BA.png

OVMS v3.2.012 is now being released to Early Access program (EAP). Changelog below.

Just a few minor bug fixes, including the fix to TPMS affecting Tesla Roadster users.

Code:
2020-04-22 MWJ  3.2.012 OTA release
- #357 tpms rear left temperature incorrect in v2 protocol
- #354 Flush UART buffer when power cycling modem
- General stability improvements to CAN logging and playback

For full changelog, see:

Reactions: drewski
I'm hoping to get some help with a problem I've had for a couple of weeks. It doesn't appear to be able to connect to the V2 server so the phone app doesn't work. I have no cell reception at my home so I use Wifi a lot. I can easily log into the unit with my computer using Wifi. My iphone is also connected to Wifi so I can make phone calls and normally I can use the app that way. My car is registered on openvehicles.com. Thanks for your help.

Here's a screen shot of the dashboard from my browser.
Screenshot_2020-04-22 OVMS Status.png

Looks like there was a crash loop of some kind. We'll need one of the main devs to decode where it was. Were there any config changes right before it went offline?

It might be instructive to attach a PC to the USB port and get a serial log as the module is booting, to see what is hanging it up.

I'm hoping to get some help with a problem I've had for a couple of weeks. It doesn't appear to be able to connect to the V2 server so the phone app doesn't work. I have no cell reception at my home so I use Wifi a lot. I can easily log into the unit with my computer using Wifi. My iphone is also connected to Wifi so I can make phone calls and normally I can use the app that way. My car is registered on openvehicles.com. Thanks for your help.

It is showing 'connection failed' on the v2 server, and 'server v2 not started'. I don't evidence of see Greg's crash loop (crash counters are 1 early, 0 total).

I can suggest a few things to look at:
  • Check the 'auto start' settings and make sure server v2 is set to start on boot. You can also try to manually start it to see what happens.
  • Check the server v2 settings and make sure the server is 'api.openvehicles.com' and port 6867.
  • You are using DNS 192.168.1.1, which is your own DNS server - generally safer to use 8.8.8.8.
Regards, Mark.