Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open Vehicle Monitor System (OVMS) - Technical Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is showing 'connection failed' on the v2 server, and 'server v2 not started'. I don't evidence of see Greg's crash loop (crash counters are 1 early, 0 total).

I can suggest a few things to look at:
  • Check the 'auto start' settings and make sure server v2 is set to start on boot. You can also try to manually start it to see what happens.
  • Check the server v2 settings and make sure the server is 'api.openvehicles.com' and port 6867.
  • You are using DNS 192.168.1.1, which is your own DNS server - generally safer to use 8.8.8.8.
Regards, Mark.
I was looking at the screen shot that Henry posted. Detected boot reason: Crash (12/12), and the Backtrace. But, yes, 1 total on the counters suggests otherwise.

The status does show the v2 server trying to connect, so I assume it was started. If you activate the Tools -> Shell window, I think that will show the reconnect attempts, and perhaps a diagnostic will appear there?

It is showing 'connection failed' on the v2 server, and 'server v2 not started'. I don't evidence of see Greg's crash loop (crash counters are 1 early, 0 total).

I can suggest a few things to look at:
  • Check the 'auto start' settings and make sure server v2 is set to start on boot. You can also try to manually start it to see what happens.
  • Check the server v2 settings and make sure the server is 'api.openvehicles.com' and port 6867.
  • You are using DNS 192.168.1.1, which is your own DNS server - generally safer to use 8.8.8.8.
Regards, Mark.

Thanks for your help Mark and Greg. The 'Autostart' settings has the box checked 'Start server v2' (in addition to 'Enable auto start', 'Enable Javascript', and 'Start Modem'). I have also tried manually starting it but it appears that it's already trying to start. The event window has multiple pairs of these events:
server.v2.connecting
server.v2.waitreconnect

server v2 settings: 'api.openvehicles.com' but no port was set (it says 'optional'). Also 'Enable TLS' is checked. I'll try changing the TLS and port settings in a minute.

Tried using DNS 8.8.8.8. but no different.

Thanks again for your help!

Success. I changed the server v2 settings to uncheck 'Enable TLS' and entered port 6867. It connected as soon as I saved the new settings.

Then I went back and checked 'Enable TLS' and changed the port to 6870. It appears to connect with these settings as well. So I have to conclude that the port setting is not "optional".

Thanks again for the time you spend helping many of us!:)

Reactions: drewski
Success. I changed the server v2 settings to uncheck 'Enable TLS' and entered port 6867. It connected as soon as I saved the new settings.

Then I went back and checked 'Enable TLS' and changed the port to 6870. It appears to connect with these settings as well. So I have to conclude that the port setting is not "optional".

Thanks again for the time you spend helping many of us!:)

TLS support is very new, so beware. If you have issues again, try disabling that (it defaults to disabled at the moment).

• Informative
Hi @markwj,
I'm about to dust off the roadster for the summer season and I was charging it tonight and noticed the vehicule temperatures are gone from the display while charging, PEM, battery & motor (ok that last one, not so important!) but I remember seeing all of them usually while charging, especially the battery's.

Screenshot_20200502-003716.jpg

So I went to the command line and checked metrics command and indeed, only the environment temperature got listed.

Screenshot_20200502-004401.jpg

Was I looking at stale data before and didn't notice it and now it's cleared (so more visibly un-available)
or did we loose something recently?

Running the latest official: 3.2.012 OVMS on Android app 3.16.1.

Thanks for any insight!

Last edited:
Hi @markwj,
I'm about to dust off the roadster for the summer season and I was charging it tonight and noticed the vehicule temperatures are gone from the display while charging, PEM, battery & motor (ok that last one, not so important!) but I remember seeing all of them usually while charging, especially the battery's.

View attachment 537986

So I went to the command line and checked metrics command and indeed, only the environment temperature got listed.

View attachment 537985

Was I looking at stale data before and didn't notice it and now it's cleared (so more visibly un-available)

Running the latest official: 3.2.012 OVMS on Android app 3.16.1.

Thanks for any insight!

Did you login wifi and attempt to reboot the ovms?

• Love
Reactions: jason.tv
Hi @markwj,

Strange. Are you sure the car had actually started charging? It looks like the car was asleep. You can try ‘metrics list temp -s’ to show the ‘stale’ indication for each metric (to show if it is being updated or not). You can also try ‘wakeup’.

Regards, Mark.

Strange. Are you sure the car had actually started charging? It looks like the car was asleep. You can try ‘metrics list temp -s’ to show the ‘stale’ indication for each metric (to show if it is being updated or not). You can also try ‘wakeup’.

Regards, Mark.

Ok, this is turning out weird and interesting with your new commands.
To your first question, I would say, yes the car was charging.
Ring was orange and had taken that screenshot at the same time.
Typically, when the amps show up in the app, it's charging.
Screenshot_20200502-004227.jpg

BUT your "wake up" command did change something tonight.

Before your reply and since my original post, I had driven the car twice today and the temps remain at 0 throughout both drives even if the speed was refreshed both in the app and on OVMS web page status showing me that OVMS was 'alive'.

So tonight with your reply, while the car was sitting in the garage, I did your stale command once, followed by wakeup, and stale again and here's what I got:

Screenshot_20200503-223206.jpg

AND the temps are now showing up in both: the 'overhead car pics' page and in the metric list (without -s).
I really wonder what the 'wakeup' command achieved that driving the car around didn't! :)

What does the number in brackets mean when the -s option is used?

Thanks Mark!

There are a few seconds at the start of the charge when the car can still be asleep. That was what I was wondering...

The numbers in brackets (when you use '-s') are the number of seconds since the last update (or the number of seconds without an update before the metric is marked stale). The '---' means the metric has not been updated and is stale.

I've been having trouble connecting to my OVMS since my last annual service back in November. It seems the app is stuck on when the car was at the SC and hasn't refreshed since. It's not really a big deal since I check the car anyway and drive it but wanted to see what could be a reason?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200515-165058.png
    Screenshot_20200515-165058.png
    476.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot_20200515-165117.png
    Screenshot_20200515-165117.png
    803.7 KB · Views: 41
I've been having trouble connecting to my OVMS since my last annual service back in November. It seems the app is stuck on when the car was at the SC and hasn't refreshed since. It's not really a big deal since I check the car anyway and drive it but wanted to see what could be a reason?

maybe the SC unplugged it to connect to the diagnostic port and never plugged it back in or not fully plugged it.

or have you tried to power cycle the OVMS? unplug the cable, wait a few seconds, and replug?

• Helpful
Reactions: markwj
Not sure what happened on my Android App, but when I launched it this morning it showed a "What's new" screen (v3.16.1 from March 18th) and the app dropped the details for my car and reverted to the Demo Car.

It was kind enough to keep it Lightning Green!
Screenshot_20200602-110130.png

Last edited:
Not sure what happened on my Android App, but when I launched it this morning it showed a "What's new" screen (v3.16.1 from March 18th) and the app dropped the details for my car and reverted to the Demo Car.

It was kind enough to keep it Lightning Green!
View attachment 547274

It happens to me on occasion. I imagine just an update on the OVMS module or such.
I enter my info in the app again and it comes right back up.

My OVMS was working fine after going through the set up process after it got reset during the annual service. But now the app isn't refreshing data and it hasn't updated for the last 25 days. When I login using the OVMS WiFi the status board gives all 0s for the WiFi IP and modem status as NetWait.

It has the proper SSID and password but doesn't seem to communicate to the app. Is there a way to fix it?

I should add that my own OVMS would show similar symptoms of the WiFi failing to reconnect. The problem was exacerbated by weak connectivity in my garage. It required resetting like I described. I put in another base station in my garage to fix the problem.