Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open Vehicle Monitoring System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was able to get a SIM card as mentioned by Jack here
M2M SIM card | Open Vehicle Systems

I went into the AT&T store and they were a little confused at first (no one ever asks for such a small data plan with no voice). The thing to ask for is the GoPhone plan with no included minutes (10 cents/minute for voice) which won't matter anyway since you can't make voice calls on the device. They then add 200 texts and 10 Mb data per month for $5 each ($10 per month). Account is managed online. It's separate from my iPhone AT&T plan actually. Cheapest regular data plan on normal AT&T account was at least $15/month. Mark said you can cancel your text plan if you want to use iPhone or android app only after initial setup.

Last edited:
If you are the exploring type and happen to have a little too much time on hand, you can go for a PICKIT2 from fleebay (it's about $20). With that, you can setup the module without involving SMS. You'll also get the added benefit of being able to upgrade to the latest firmware as they come out.

If you are the exploring type and happen to have a little too much time on hand, you can go for a PICKIT2 from fleebay (it's about $20). With that, you can setup the module without involving SMS. You'll also get the added benefit of being able to upgrade to the latest firmware as they come out.

Thanks. How does one upgrade the firmware without this device?

Thanks. How does one upgrade the firmware without this device?

The PICKIT is the only way to upgrade the firmware.

We've spent some time (the past three months) getting the car firmware as stable as possible, and the messages sent back as flexible and full-featured as possible, so that we shouldn't need to update the firmware in the car (except to add features).

Longer-term, we hope that local user groups will get involved. A user without the PICKIT who would like to upgrade the firmware would need to get his module to another user with a PICKIT. Alternatively, we could just send a new control board (about 1/3rd the cost of the whole module) with upgraded firmware.

Thanks. I found this to order
PICkit 2 Development Programmer/Debugger

Is the Debug express kit all I would need? They seem to have a PICKIT 3 out now too.

Too much. That is US$50 and is way more than you would ever need.

This would be fine: http://www.microchipdirect.com/productsearch.aspx?Keywords=PG164120 and is US$35 from microchip.

The PICKIT 3 is best for in-depth developing and in-circuit debugging. If you just want to be able to update the firmware, a PICKIT 2 (or clone) would be fine.

Clones of the PICKIT 2 are available on ebay for about US$20.

pickit 2 | eBay

But, you really don't need any of this unless you really want to be able to update the firmware (or avoid SMS for initial setup).

Regards, Mark.

Can we do Volt/Ampera next please? GM in their wisdom haven't given the European cars smartphone access.

I am personally committing to help anyone who wants to work getting OVMS working on another EV.

The problem is that to do this, we would need (a) a developer with the car, committed to the time necessary for this, (b) documentation or reverse-engineering for the can bus messages, (c) a can-usb adaptor to be able to get can bus dumps.

The developer would need to have some experience with C and the ability to run a PICKIT to program the module. Some hardware knowledge would be needed to solder-up a connector to get connected to the car itself.

The apps are easy. Maybe some new artwork, but not much else.

I would be willing to reflash any US user's OVMS if that is necessary in the future for firmware updates. The owner would need to send the unit to me along with return postage for US Priority mail. No need to buy your own Pickit unless you really want to.

Jack

The iOS App v1.2.0 has been approved by Apple, and should appear on the iTunes App stores around the world within the next few hours. Those users with the app already installed will be prompted to update.

This version includes full support for the v1.2.0 car firmware and functions such as starting/stopping charge, changing charge mode and current, lock/unlock car, valet mode on/off, features, parameters, etc. It also includes new graphics and a more polished look-and-feel (with thanks to Felix for all his hard work on this).

Please note that you should ensure you are running car firmware v1.2.0, or later, to get the full functionality of this, as well as the latest Android, App.

Join Nikki Gordon-Bloomfield from Green Car Reports, Michael Thwaite from TeslaMotorsClub, and guest Mark Webb-Johnson from the Open Vehicle Monitoring System project as they discuss the week’s news in the world of electric cars, including the latest from the Geneva Motor Show, The Open Vehicle Monitoring System and much more..

Last edited by a moderator:
Feature request: How about a plug in reminder at a user defined time? You could use phone app to say if my car isn't plugged in at 10PM, send me an alert. You could turn this feature off if you were going to be unplugged for a time and knew about it. This would help for those times you simply forget to plug in at night which are rare.

Love the program and the OVMS. Works great. Thanks.

Feature request: How about a plug in reminder at a user defined time? You could use phone app to say if my car isn't plugged in at 10PM, send me an alert. You could turn this feature off if you were going to be unplugged for a time and knew about it. This would help for those times you simply forget to plug in at night which are rare.

There are a few time-based requests (such as "I want charge to finish by 8am when I drive to work, start it as late as you can").

I'm beginning to think we need to work out the CAN bus messages for charge start time schedule (as opposed to 'on plugin'). Then, we need a structured approach for how to do this. I like it when Elon spoke about the car learning where you are and what you normally do. I leave for work around Xam every weekday morning - the car should learn that and propose to start the charge in time to complete by then. On the firmware wish list page here, there have also been some discussions about this.