Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open Vehicle Monitoring System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a short note to give you all an update on the Android App:

For those of you whom this is working fine for, just keep using the version you have for the moment.

For those of you with screen layout issues (newer phones with high resolution screens), we're still working towards getting you a version that works better, and still working towards getting it to you by the end of this month (October). We've made a huge amount of progress in the past few weeks, and should have test builds available soon.

The goal of what we're trying to do is to get the Android App working to approximate equivalence with the iOS App (same design, same artwork, same features, but with an Android look-and-feel). So far, that has meant 4 steps backward and 3 steps forward (literally). That means for the moment, the new version is not going to include (a) the previous pretty car settings screen (new version will be like iOS features/parameters), (b) Map groups (which were seriously broken in v3 anyway), (c) home screen widget, and (d) specific tablet layout support. We'll add these features back in later, once we've got the new version working and stable. Bottom line is that, in the short term, in some places the new version app will be better, and in others worse.

Initially, it will be available as a side-loaded build, to allow us to leave the existing version up on the Android marketplace and allow users to choose which version they want.

Regards, Mark.

Just a short note to give you all an update on the Android App.

Another update. Lots of progress, but still stuff to complete. It is the 1st of November, and we've probably got another week or so of work until the v3.1 is good enough to go on phones.

The UI and display screens have been completed, and look good. We're using the same artwork, layout and resources as the iOS App - giving us a nice clean look, while retaining the Android look-and-feel. The communications protocol has also been completed and brought up-to-date on a par with the iOS version.

As it stands now, the new Android App can display the car status. We're now finalising the control and configuration functions, at which time we'll be ready to release v3.1. After that, we'll carry on towards a v3.2 release - the nice-to-haves. After v3.2, the Android and iOS Apps will be maintained up-to-date in step together.

You can follow progress of the v3.1 release here:

Issues v3.1 markwj/Open-Vehicle-Android · GitHub

and the v3.2 release here:

Issues v3.2 markwj/Open-Vehicle-Android - GitHub

For the brave, the source code is available here:

Open-Vehicle-Android/OpenVehicleApp at master - markwj/Open-Vehicle-Android - GitHub

Getting this Android App project back on track has been an enormous amount of work, that is just now coming together. Thanks to everyone who has helped out.

Regards, Mark.

android-1.png
android-2.png
android-3.png

I read on the OVMS mailing list that good progress is being made on the Volt/Ampera and Twizzy versions, but trudging through the archives I can't really see what.

Could you give a brief summary on what they have managed to decipher?

Do they have an ETA for a release? Any chance I might be able to have this to pre-heat the car by the time winter really sets in? :)

I read on the OVMS mailing list that good progress is being made on the Volt/Ampera and Twizzy versions, but trudging through the archives I can't really see what.

Could you give a brief summary on what they have managed to decipher?

Do they have an ETA for a release? Any chance I might be able to have this to pre-heat the car by the time winter really sets in? :)

Going has been hard, but with release of v2 hardware, things have sped up considerably.

For Renault Twizy, we have GPS location, soc, ranges, charge status, and alerting. No control, yet,
For Volt Ampera, we have GPS location, soc and ranges. No charge status, alerting or control, yet.
Both are developer-only at the moment. Monitoring for both is definitely feasible, but not sure about control yet.

Progress on the Twizy has been phenomenal. In 1 week, with new hardware, they got an enormous amount done.

Timescale? No idea... I guess the Twizzy will come first as monitoring only - that is real close. Volt/Ampera is hard going (so much data on the bus), but in progress. Like the the Roadster version, I guess developers will run this in their cars first, then end user release two-to-three months after that.

Current approach is to get the Apps working for these new cars, to show what can be done and as a base to build from.

Update: I put up a page for current status. It is a work-in-progress, but I'll try to keep it up to date: http://www.openvehicles.com/vehiclesupport

Last edited:
By the way, did the collaboration with the guys on GM-Volt.com go anywhere? The thread there seemed to have died.

I wondered if you had been able to monitor a US Volt that was actually using OnStar so that you could see if any control messages turned up on their CAN bus.

By the way, did the collaboration with the guys on GM-Volt.com go anywhere? The thread there seemed to have died.

I wondered if you had been able to monitor a US Volt that was actually using OnStar so that you could see if any control messages turned up on their CAN bus.

Yes, two guys from there have come over to help. One is US-based with OnStar, but mostly working on performance monitoring.

I really think that once the basic monitoring is working, and we can show it, others will get involved. That is what happened with the Roadster.

P.S. Vehicle Support | Open Vehicle Systems

Sorry to ask a boring question, but I have found a tariff with a different network provider that is far cheaper so can I change SIM cards and re associate OVMS with the new number?
Or will it need some extra re programming other than the usual setup when all is new?
Many thanks

The config is stored in the module, so you can just swap SIM cards.

Note that the GPRS parameters may be different, so you'll probably need to set that up again with a GPRS SMS.

Mark, so when and how can we download the new Android version of the app?

I'm trying to post here every week or so, with status update, to keep everyone informed.

Last update was a couple of days ago, here: Open Vehicle Monitoring System - Page 49

Source code (for the brave) is here: Open-Vehicle-Android/OpenVehicleApp at master · markwj/Open-Vehicle-Android · GitHub

You can follow the v3.1 status at: Issues · markwj/Open-Vehicle-Android · GitHub

Initially, it will be available as a side-loaded build, to allow us to leave the existing version up on the Android marketplace and allow users to choose which version they want. The first pre-built apk will be available when v3.1 is done. Real close now - perhaps this week if all goes well.

I've heard Tesla is releasing a beta test version of an app for the iPhone for the Model S. Has anyone heard of it? Is it supposed to do for the Model S owners what the OVMS does for us roadster owners?

I've heard Tesla is releasing a beta test version of an app for the iPhone for the Model S. Has anyone heard of it? Is it supposed to do for the Model S owners what the OVMS does for us roadster owners?

Heard and seen rumors, but nothing released yet. Functionality demonstrated for Model S is similar to OVMS. Not as in depth as OVMS, though.

I ordered, received, and installed a V2 module (updated to V1.51) without any problems. All guides were clear and the hardware is impressive for the price. One question:On the Car display (IOS App) it shows temps and tire pressure for all 4 tires, but they are not "bright" as the temps for PEM, Motor, and Battery and clearly those tire temps and pressures are not mine. Where are those numbers coming from and why aren't mine displayed? I noticed that the PEM, Motor, and Battery info is only bright and current when the car is awake. All other App stuff is accurate and all functions work fine.

thanks
michael

I ordered, received, and installed a V2 module (updated to V1.51) without any problems. All guides were clear and the hardware is impressive for the price. One question:On the Car display (IOS App) it shows temps and tire pressure for all 4 tires, but they are not "bright" as the temps for PEM, Motor, and Battery and clearly those tire temps and pressures are not mine. Where are those numbers coming from and why aren't mine displayed? I noticed that the PEM, Motor, and Battery info is only bright and current when the car is awake. All other App stuff is accurate and all functions work fine.

thanks
michael

Tap on the trunk to 'wake up' the Roadster and see if they change. I think the tire pressures stop reporting after awhile when the car is parked. They take time to start reporting data after the car is driven too.

Tire pressure and temps don't update during a "wakeup." The fields that do update become brighter when the car is woken up (outdoor, PEM, Motor, and Battery temps).

Thanks. That's right. I was thinking about that after I posted it. You have to have the car on for a certain amount of time and driving I believe to get the tire pressures to update and report a number, right?

I ordered, received, and installed a V2 module (updated to V1.51) without any problems. All guides were clear and the hardware is impressive for the price.

Good to hear. Welcome aboard.

On the Car display (IOS App) it shows temps and tire pressure for all 4 tires, but they are not "bright" as the temps for PEM, Motor, and Battery and clearly those tire temps and pressures are not mine. Where are those numbers coming from and why aren't mine displayed? I noticed that the PEM, Motor, and Battery info is only bright and current when the car is awake. All other App stuff is accurate and all functions work fine.

The grayed-out values are stale. The car has not updated the values in a while (because that sensor system is asleep in the car).

You can wake-up the temperature system in the car by tapping the trunk and waking up the car. Exactly the same affect as opening a door or charge port on the physical car.

The only way to wake up the tpms system is to drive the car for some distance.