Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open Vehicle Monitoring System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The android app seems to work seamlessly. The next thing that I'd like to see is someone push a simulated VDS error message through the app. (maybe have a tab for VDS error messages or be able to do MENU>VDS Errors) There also should be a quit button under the menu window.

+1 on the wifi capability. Please reserve one of these for me. I have a roadster but missed the poll. I will help with development if I can. I live in a beautiful place but there is no GSM reception here. Too many mountains. Not enough people. Would have to use wifi except when I'm traveling. Either way I want one! Thanks for your efforts!!!

Last edited:
For those (most) of you without car hardware yet, we see you are using the DEMO car to try out the Apps. Thanks for your assistance with this, and please let us know if you have any problems, or can suggest any improvements.

In the meantime, we've put a little 'spice' into the demo car.

Hong Kong consists of 1,104 sq km (426 sq mi) of land, and is home to about 7 million people. Driving all around Hong Kong, you'll cover only 200km (we know, we did it). Electric Vehicles are just now starting to appear on Hong Kong roads, and there are approximately 100 public charging stations (with 300+ sockets) dotted around the territory.

The demo car is now having fun virtually driving around Hong Kong. As it randomly chooses another destination every 30 seconds, we calculate how far it has travelled, and reduce the battery SOC accordingly. When it reaches 25% SOC, it plugs in and waits for its battery SOC to reach at least 95%, before continuing its journey around Hong Kong.

Just a little fun, while we wait for the factory...

The android app seems to work seamlessly. The next thing that I'd like to see is someone push a simulated VDS error message through the app. (maybe have a tab for VDS error messages or be able to do MENU>VDS Errors) There also should be a quit button under the menu window.

We found a problem with our code for Android c2dm. The database had 128 bytes for storing the device identifier (which is fine for iOS), but Android device IDs are 162 bytes. We've increased the length. If you re-run the App you'll get re-registered and it should now work.

We just PUSHed out a small message for the DEMO car, and will send another tomorrow. If you haven't received it yet, please just re-run the App (to re-register) and you should get tomorrow's.

Is a wifi connection possible? In this way You can connect to the car, in the car or its vincinity via wfi and not gprs!
Or connect the box immediately to a smartphone or tablet via a cable?

I too would love wifi (the new antenna arrangement helps, but cellular service in my garage is lousy).

Issues are primarily cost and complexity, so we decided to go with a GSM/GPRS solution first.

We have brought out unused CPU pins to expansion connectors, to be able to add things like wifi (and perhaps an in-car display) at a later stage. It would be best to source a wifi board that works like the simcom (offloading the tcp/ip and wifi stacks from the cpu).

Regards, Mark.

Signed up for Testflight. Ready to checkout the iOS app! Have a car. Ready to get the hardware. I too think wifi capabilities would be great.

The way test flight works is that we need to get the device IDs into a provisioning profile signed by Apple, then we release a test flight build. So, we need to batch up a few, otherwise we'd be issuing a build for every new tester!

That said, we've got enough for the next batch, so you should see this go out within the next few hours.

P.S. The iPhone App looks nice, but the iPad version is currently very very ugly. We still need to re-work the App to better use the iPad screen (pad?) space and facilities - but at the moment it is just a screen-for-screen copy of the iPhone version.

Is a wifi connection possible?

+1 on the wifi capability.

I did a quick research and short answer is YES. It is definitely doable as an add-on that attaches to the soon-released official OVMS hardware.

In terms of wireless, we could also easily add (as add-ons) Bluetooth and Zigbee modules. Apart from this, I'm working on finding a transparent LCD component so we can create a HUD-like display that shows the current speed. This should fix my #1 problem with the Roadster (can't see the speedometer).

I did a quick research and short answer is YES. It is definitely doable as an add-on that attaches to the soon-released official OVMS hardware.

In terms of wireless, we could also easily add (as add-ons) Bluetooth and Zigbee modules. Apart from this, I'm working on finding a transparent LCD component so we can create a HUD-like display that shows the current speed. This should fix my #1 problem with the Roadster (can't see the speedometer).

Glad to hear this on both fronts! I looked into wireless briefly and figured a small add-on board and a little software mod would do it. I also can't read my speedo very well and think a heads-up digital readout would be a great feature. I'm straight-out busy right now but I'd love to help with this at some point.

Super that it is all possible!
You guys did disign something great!!!!!!!

With the HUD, it only needs wings to look as a jetfighter! ;-)

Thanks for working on this. Both the Tesla Tattler and this show how many amazingly talented people there are out there who can accomplish things like this so I appreciate it. Both projects look amazing.

registered but complained that no build available for iPhone 4S...

Kevin, Apple doesn't allow direct distribution, so it is a little involved to get these builds out. The way test flight works is that we need to get the device IDs into a provisioning profile signed by Apple, then we release a test flight build. So, we need to batch up a few, otherwise we'd be issuing a build for every new tester!

The next batch should go out later today.

Regards, Mark