Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opening and Closing Sunroof is So EMBARRASSING!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of the "coolest" features of my 2014 MS is the panoramic sunroof. But I'm so reluctant to open, around people, because it squeaks and squeals and chatters as it opens and closes. Who has fixed this issue?

One of the "coolest" features of my 2014 MS is the panoramic sunroof. But I'm so reluctant to open, around people, because it squeaks and squeals and chatters as it opens and closes. Who has fixed this issue?

This is SO easy to fix. There is a special type of grease used to lubricate the sunroof rails and that fixes everything.

Wish they would have solved the issue rather than removing one of the most popular options.

We LOVE our sunroof. Especially this time of the year... We won't buy another car without a sunroof.

I did... some say spray grease and some say they got a tub from Tesla. I guess no right or wrong just grease it up.

Not all grease is the same. Why not check with the service center? Greasing the rails is basic maintenance for the roof rails and it's good to go for the next 2-3 years.

I believe what you need is Dupont Krytox GPL205 or at least that's what fixed the roof rail sounds for the pano roof of the Mercedes we used to own. Do your research to see which is appropriate.

https://www.amazon.com/Chemours-D12...48&s=gateway&sprefix=Dupont+gp,aps,142&sr=8-1

http://www2.dupont.com/Lubricants/e...w/K-20552-1 Krytox NVH appl profile FINAL.pdf

I have a pano sunroof, I would never order a car with a sunroof but given I purchased used it was the only thing that it didn't like about the car. My issues are the creaks and rattles they always give in colder weather, and in Telsa's case how the whole mechanism likes to damage the weather seals as it opens and closes.
To the original poster, I've seen the mechanism and it is smeared with grease, I'd say yours has simply dried out.

I have a pano sunroof, I would never order a car with a sunroof but given I purchased used it was the only thing that it didn't like about the car. My issues are the creaks and rattles they always give in colder weather, and in Telsa's case how the whole mechanism likes to damage the weather seals as it opens and closes.
To the original poster, I've seen the mechanism and it is smeared with grease, I'd say yours has simply dried out.

Panoramic roofs have been around for two decades and it is solved technology.

You can bet that if Tesla can implement a falcon wing door, they can figure out a way to build a functioning sunroof, just like all the dozens of other carmakers. We've had pano roofs in cars before the Tesla and they've all worked flawlessly and the Dupont Krytox lube totally fixes any creaking issues, as that's its whole purpose.

Granted sunroofs are not for everyone but the vast majority of customers selected this option when it was available and it makes for memorable drives with sun and wind when the weather is nice.

I had a 2014 that had this issue. Tesla greased it up when I was in there one time and the problem went away.
I'm not arguing greasing is not a solution to many stuttering issues.
I’m reporting that stuttering can also still happen even after greasing and even after Tesla completely dismounted , cleaned and greased the mechanism. Twice. o_O
This happened to my car and should it also be the case here, there are solutions as well. Just need to keep on asking Tesla SeC for a solution. :D
I love the pano and was also very embarrassed to open and close it.
It is now a zen moment to open it again in summer time. Can’t wait for temperatures to rise some more. :)

I've had a pano roof in both the S P85 delivered in early 2013 and the S 100D delivered in early 2017 - and haven't had any problems with the pano roof - or with any squeaks or rattles.

When it's time to order a replacement for our S 100D, I hope by then Tesla would add the pano roof back. I often drive with the roof open when driving near home.

Best strategy is to have Tesla check the roof, make sure nothing is wrong and have them properly lubricate it.

Reactions: DCEV
I've had a pano roof in both the S P85 delivered in early 2013 and the S 100D delivered in early 2017 - and haven't had any problems with the pano roof - or with any squeaks or rattles.

When it's time to order a replacement for our S 100D, I hope by then Tesla would add the pano roof back. I often drive with the roof open when driving near home.

Best strategy is to have Tesla check the roof, make sure nothing is wrong and have them properly lubricate it.

The removal of the sunroof can't be helping with Model S sales...

Reactions: cleverscreenam
Pano is the least favorite feature of my MS. I would not get another one. We have had sunroofs before on other cars and never opened them, and it is the same with this one. If you are driving 15 mph through a park or something, then maybe, but otherwise it is just noise when it's open.

This is my opinion. You are welcome to yours. You won't change mine.

Mine never does that (makes noise). I use it all the time to reduce the heat in the car when parked. It is a bit fiddly to get it to open 15%, which is just the right amount for parking. It's a great feature in my opinion. (Note if I lived further north, then it wouldn't be, but here in Texas it's a winner.)

Panoramic roofs have been around for two decades and it is solved technology.

You can bet that if Tesla can implement a falcon wing door, they can figure out a way to build a functioning sunroof, just like all the dozens of other carmakers.
Well tail light lenses that don't retain water around the seals is 'solved technology' as well but Tesla haven't mastered that yet. :(

• Funny
It could be a lot of things, but the easiest, like everyone else has mentioned, is to lubricate the rails. Do not use a spray lubricant though. It's expensive, but the service center uses Klubersynth LI 44-22. Clean the rails with alcohol before applying the kluber and don't apply it without gloves.

Mine never does that (makes noise). I use it all the time to reduce the heat in the car when parked. It is a bit fiddly to get it to open 15%, which is just the right amount for parking. It's a great feature in my opinion. (Note if I lived further north, then it wouldn't be, but here in Texas it's a winner.)
1. Do not copy outside of the TMC forum without permission.
2. Anything posted here is an opinion only. There is no implied warranty or official statements from any employer.
3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

• Disagree