Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opinion - 2015 Model S 70 RWD with High Miles - Infotainment Upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the newly purchased private party Model S had screen bubbles on both screens and I'm considering on getting the Infotainment Upgrade which includes LTE at a cost of $1750. The car has 138k miles on it but also FUSC and Free Premium Connectivity for Life. The DU and Battery Warranty Expires in Nov 2023 so it still has time to crap out and be included under warranty. I looked at the battery sticker and it still has the original battery with a full charge being 212 miles so ~ 89% which seems on par for the number of miles.

In your opinion, is the infotainment upgrade worth it? Replacement screens at Electrified Garage run about $1000 and that's with the same MCU and no LTE so I'm inclined to say yes? It's my understanding the screen will eventually fail anyway?

I'm just wondering how much this car is really worth (30k?) and if putting 1800 in it (with tax) is worth it. Thoughts?

MCU2 is totally worth it. It vastly improves the interactions you have with the car for music, HVAC, settings, and navigation. Voice commands are snappy again. However, I would consider the bigger question how much the overall car is worth and how long you plan to keep it.

Reactions: f-stop
MCU2 is totally worth it. It vastly improves the interactions you have with the car for music, HVAC, settings, and navigation. Voice commands are snappy again. However, I would consider the bigger question how much the overall car is worth and how long you plan to keep it.
I agree with the overall value question. What do think the car is worth with the MCU2? I rarely see any 2015 MS for under 30k so thinking that's lower limit?

It does have high mileage for a 2015, but there seems to be a soft floor in the upper $20k range for clean titled, running cars. I must have missed your comment at the beginning where you say you recently purchased the car. If you plan to keep the car for a few years, I would do the upgrade. It will also make your car more attractive to sell if you want to part with it.

It does have high mileage for a 2015, but there seems to be a soft floor in the upper $20k range for clean titled, running cars. I must have missed your comment at the beginning where you say you recently purchased the car. If you plan to keep the car for a few years, I would do the upgrade. It will also make your car more attractive to sell if you want to part with it.
I ended up doing it. Haven’t found many private sale cars with the FUSC (especially not locally) and want to use car for road trips so that appeals to me. Also, never having to think about the price of gas is a wonderful feeling.

I figure if I even keep it long enough to find a newer one or even a Model X then it will be worth it. Took about six months to find this one.

How can you tell what MCU you have? We recently had our MCU/computer replaced which included the dash screen replacement (it was bubbling) and we did not realize that the MCU/computer replacement also included the dash screen. But I’m unsure what computer they put in?

The repair invoice says Infotainment upgrade:
INFOTAINMENT 1.00 UPGRADE FOR PRE-
AP, AP1 OR AP3.0 VEHICLES(1582613-00-
A)

Also says upgrade from Tegra mcu to Intel mcu

We also were able to get the Holiday update 44.25.2

I feel like they put MCU 2 in but I don’t know?

How can you tell what MCU you have? We recently had our MCU/computer replaced which included the dash screen replacement (it was bubbling) and we did not realize that the MCU/computer replacement also included the dash screen. But I’m unsure what computer they put in?

The repair invoice says Infotainment upgrade:
INFOTAINMENT 1.00 UPGRADE FOR PRE-
AP, AP1 OR AP3.0 VEHICLES(1582613-00-
A)

Also says upgrade from Tegra mcu to Intel mcu

We also were able to get the Holiday update 44.25.2

I feel like they put MCU 2 in but I don’t know?
Intel is MCU2. A simple replacement of the screens would not say "infotainment upgrade" it would just list the screens (or similar) however that cost is somewhere around 1k if I remember correctly. For the extra $700 or so you get the faster MCU, better screens (the 'new' MCU1 replacement screens will eventually have the same issues) and an LTE upgrade. You will lose Sirius + FM radio unless you paid an extra $500 for that option.

well worth it! you'll get the bubbles resolved with new screens, and a very functional infotainment center.
if you don't care for some of the MCU2 features, a good EMMC can get your maps working with reasonable speed. However, since the screens have developed bubbles, this is a no brainer

Reactions: vcor