Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opinions wanted: 2016 Base Model S or new Model Y

16 S or 20 Y

• Keep the S

• Buy the new Y

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recognize this is probably merely personal opinion and based on my use case, but I am wondering what the Tesla community thinks about this.

I have a late 16 (post-refresh) Model S 75 with FSD (got in on the $2000 deal). AP2.0, MCU1. Literally no options on my car...solid roof, the low end seats, you get the drill.

I am debating between buying the MCU2 upgrade (which will also get AP3 at the same time) for about $2800, or trading the S to the Model Y without FSD for about $13,000 out the door.

Model S has just under 39K miles, and is CPO warrantied until 68K miles.

Pros to Model S:
Cooler looking car. Has FSD already. I think I like the two screens, but would probably get used to one. Less expensive to keep/upgrade the S. Free supercharging (I use it sometimes, not a ton.). Free premium connectivity for life.

Cons to S. At 90% charge, I get about 207 miles on the screen, somewhat less in real life. (The extra range of the Y is probably the biggest draw of all.). Slightly more expensive to insure than a new Y (which surprised me a little).

Pros to Y:
Supposed to be 316 miles on the screen, probably more like 290-300 in reality. Feels like better space. (I have a 2 year old and a car seat that just seems to fit better.) New car, no miles. Comes with a better sound system than what I have, and that is kind of nice for me. Already has MCU2. Less expensive insurance.

Cons to Y:
FSD is not included in my calculation, and I may wait or never add it to the Y.

Anyone out there that has had this debate in their head? Am I nuts to trade my S?

I'm just looking for any opinions that might help me decide. Thank you in advance.

Reactions: Ericna
Good perspective. I came at the same question from buy used S VS New Y. I bought the Y.
The massive improvements in the design of the car in the Y in parts, battery, and the heat pump swayed me. The Y is several versions of improvement from the used S. I do like the screens and more luxury feel of the S. But the option to have an authorized tow bar and the taller space was also a big draw. You have a great list, you will definitely make the best choice for you. A book I once read said we make the worst decisions using pro con lists. The non language portion of our brain will make a better instinctual decision if we allow it. You may not have an explanation for it but go with your instinct.
A trick I play on myself is I imagine myself in one of the future states and then from there am I happy with the choice. This method got me to pay for the performance option in my Y as an example. The total price is off-putting but once I am driving the Y I will be then willing to pay for the upgrade once I am a little accustomed to the non performance version. I am counting on some upgrades to range and accel in the performance model as well that are so far a figment of my imagination...

Have you driven them both? For me, it's 100% how it feels when I drive it. Plus I like to sit higher and like the room of the Y. My friend has a 2016 PSD and says the Y feels more "up to date" BUT he ordered a plaid, and will always be a Model S person. I guess you need to decide if you are an S or a Y ?

I just sold my 2013 P85 (which I loved!) and picking up my Y Saturday. I didn't have most of the features available now on the S, not even parking sensors, but still enjoyed every second of that S. I went with a Y because my warranty was due to run out in a few months (CPO and battery warranty) and the new S was too much for my pocket.

Before deciding to make the switch. I overnight drove the Y. Because my S lacked a lot of features and it didn't have as nice of seats and such, the Y felt like a slight upgrade (but S is still my #1 choice). It may be different with yours.

Personally I'd stay with the S til you're near warranty end and then trade.

OH and the Y made my insurance go up by $10 for 6 months so it wasn't cheaper than my performance S. Also you didn't mention this but free supercharging, keyfob and Homelink are all things the Y doesn't have. You have to pay extra for all.