Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Optimum battery level for efficiency

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering if anyone figured out if the efficiency (Wh/mile) of model 3 depends on the charge level of the battery (everything else being equal)? I am asking because I track my mileage every month. So far this month I am getting 214 Wh/mile (after driving about 1200 miles). I generally charge my battery to 69%, but last week I changed that to 50%. My mileage improve to 212 Wh/mile (well, insignificant but I have driven only about 200 miles last week).

So far this month I am getting 214 Wh/mile (after driving about 1200 miles). I generally charge my battery to 69%, but last week I changed that to 50%. My mileage improve to 212 Wh/mile (well, insignificant but I have driven only about 200 miles last week).
To me that is an insignificant change that is not related to your SOC.

Reactions: TexasEV
The optimal battery level is where regen is not limited and power isn't limited. Probably anywhere from 10%->90% assuming temperature isn't an issue. For lower temperatures, a lower battery level (than 90%) is better since regen limitations will creep up faster the higher the SoC.

Anything other than that should have nearly identical efficiency. 2Wh/mi delta is likely because the wind was blowing a different direction on average for your two trips. Or maybe you ate too much. Or maybe the temperature was off by 5 degrees. When you start seeing >10-20Wh/mi deltas then maybe you can draw conclusions. 2Wh/mi is noise.

I was wondering if anyone figured out if the efficiency (Wh/mile) of model 3 depends on the charge level of the battery (everything else being equal)? I am asking because I track my mileage every month. So far this month I am getting 214 Wh/mile (after driving about 1200 miles). I generally charge my battery to 69%, but last week I changed that to 50%. My mileage improve to 212 Wh/mile (well, insignificant but I have driven only about 200 miles last week).

If you look at charge rates in mph when you use your supercharger, regen efficiency should be better when the battery can easily accept charge.