Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Option for 'partial' EAP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still missing the point.
It’s got nothing to do with what you guys would personally spend on TACC and even less to do with the crappy check box systems in Honda’s and Toyota’s.
It’s all about making the MOST people pay for a bundle that makes money.
Offering a cheaper option means you folks can get your cheap TACC. But is would likely also mean that others who would have got the bundle would now just get TACC - and that costs Tesla money.
But the bundle guarantees that they make money otherwise they would have changed it by now.
Basic economics overrides everything, if it didn’t the company dies.

One final thought.
Has anyone considered that Tesla have already separated the cost?
Part one is EAP, part two is FSD.
That’s a huge chunk of cash, but who here doesn’t think they have spent that and more getting that software suite to where it is now.
That investment has to be covered by customers eventually.

Reactions: JeffK
I think the math doesn't prove it 'yet'

If you buy nothing, $0 for Tesla
If you buy TACC only, some-$$ for Tesla
Best case for Tesla - you buy all of it for $$$

w/o counts for the above, I don't think it's as cut and dry as you suggest... that's all - if enough people don't buy it, I bet the price comes down or other things change there in...

w/o counts for the above, I don't think it's as cut and dry as you suggest... that's all - if enough people don't buy it, I bet the price comes down or other things change there in...
Your making the mistake of assuming that EAP customers are a done deal.
What if 50% of potential EAP customers instead just get cheap TACC, then the math turns upside down and Tesla dies.
You see it in business all the time. The so called loss leader becomes the only product and the company can’t make money.
Hence bundles.

Reactions: GWord

People who know nothing else about Tesla know about Autopilot from the new coverage etc. It's probably a pretty awkward conversation talking about your Tesla only to say you don't have Autopilot. :eek:

I hope they don't unbundle it. It would just lead to more confusion with regards to the capabilities.

I purchased EAP and am damn glad I did. They offered it at a price that seemed reasonable to me for what I get. And now I don't think about it at all.

I recently went to a burger place that charges for a basic burger with lettuce, tomatoes, and one sauce. If you want anything else, you have to pay extra. You want cheese? $1.00. You want some jalapenos? That will be $0.50. $0.25 for a second sauce! Talk about feeling like being nickeled and dimed to death. I hated the experience. All car manufacturers offer bundles for a reason. It makes good business sense and also makes it easier to get buyers to choose.

Saying TACC is the killer option simply isn't true. As I said in another thread, the last three rental cars I've had on business travel have all had it. Both the GM and Toyota I drove with it was very impressive, it was just not intuitive at all in how to turn it on. The Nissan I had last week wasn't nearly as smooth and seemed like it was always lagging. All three of those cars were easily half the price of a Model 3.

That said, at this point I won't be buying the AP package. I don't see enough value for the $6500 it will cost to turn it on permanently.

Saying TACC is the killer option simply isn't true. As I said in another thread, the last three rental cars I've had on business travel have all had it. Both the GM and Toyota I drove with it was very impressive, it was just not intuitive at all in how to turn it on. The Nissan I had last week wasn't nearly as smooth and seemed like it was always lagging. All three of those cars were easily half the price of a Model 3.

That said, at this point I won't be buying the AP package. I don't see enough value for the $6500 it will cost to turn it on permanently.

It’s only the killer feature because it really should be included outside of EAP

Reactions: Robmil
I wonder if they should have temporary sales on EAP for those that didn't purchase? Like a this week only, adding EAP is only 5k instead of the normal 6k.
I imagine if you originally didn't want to buy it for 5k, then you really don't want to buy it for 6k later.

I just happened to be in my account today and noticed EAP is on sale for $5,500.

From the Design page, it appears the sale lasts until Sept 30th.