Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Option for 'partial' EAP?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

radiocycle

Supporting Member
Apr 13, 2017
Portland, OR
Well, I'm about a week into the two week trial and I really like *some* of the features. I just wish that I could purchase 'ala carte'. I just don't want to shell out $6K right now but I'd be happy to pick up a few of the features.

Since this is a software implementation, wouldn't it be both easy and cost effective for Tesla to let owners pick the items that they want? If the 'bundle' of features had six new options, maybe instead of each thing costing $1K, they could make the individual features cost more if purchased separately. I'd love to have the 'adaptive cruise control' but don't care too much for some of the other features. Perhaps I would pick up more later... Isn't that possible on the software side? Maybe make each enhancement cost something like, $1.5K, I think they'd get a lot more takers.

r

While this makes sense for consumers, that's not how it works for them. They already know some options won't get bought, which is why things are bundled together so what people use the most are bundled with what people don't use as much. You are really paying for the high value items such as TACC and Lane Keeping. Bundling, where have we seen this? Oh right, everywhere :D Cable, Cell phone bills, when you buy a new operating system like a new version of Windows you buy the whole thing, etc..

Tesla should offer TACC on a subscription basis. If they want to be all hard about it and say "$5000 OR NOTHING", then most will say "Fine then, nothing it is".

Otherwise, if they offer subscriptions or partial deals, then they will at least get some money. And some money is more money than no money.

I think that's not necessarily a safe assumption to say that "most" will say nothing...

Tesla should offer TACC on a subscription basis. If they want to be all hard about it and say "$5000 OR NOTHING", then most will say "Fine then, nothing it is".

Otherwise, if they offer subscriptions or partial deals, then they will at least get some money. And some money is more money than no money.
They could reach some of the folks who would not have gotten the EAP. But they could also lose MORE money from people who got EAP and may have just gone with TACC alone if that's available a la carte.

I’d be willing to bet that the majority of cars are being ordered with EAP right now.

Perhaps that will change when SR versions become available.

I wonder if they should have temporary sales on EAP for those that didn't purchase? Like a this week only, adding EAP is only 5k instead of the normal 6k.
I imagine if you originally didn't want to buy it for 5k, then you really don't want to buy it for 6k later.

I hate subscription models. I switched from Lightroom because they went subscription only. If Microsoft Office fully goes that route (they're nearly there), I'll have to look for alternatives too.

BMW is trying this with Apple CarPlay (yes, they actually charge an obscene amount for CarPlay when most others include it for free). It can be ok if you just lease and don't buy afterwards. Totally screws people who buy.

What is your EAP usage pattern? Bumper to bumper traffic or long stretches of highway travels?
Usually my commute is about 20-30 minutes of highway travel at around 70mph, though sometimes it does become bumper to bumper. In both cases, I appreciate it's value. I can't always use it for some parts (for about half of it there are HOV lane entrances that it likes to drive down the middle of so I have to either stay a lane over or drive manually, and when changing from one highway to another it's a dice roll if it will lane change or ignore me entirely when I tell it to change into the ramp lane - safer to do this manually).

I haven't been on a road trip yet but I am looking forward to making use of it when I do.

I don't know if I would say that EAP is worth $5000 (or TACC+EAP is worth $5000) if you only view it as a short term investment, but I expect to keep the car for a decade (as I did my previous car) and thus at $500/yr, less than $50/mo, I feel that the more relaxed driving it enables is worth it. I think that an argument can be made even if you kept it for 3-5 years, it just depends more on what your mental state is worth to you.

TACC alone is a big deal because it helps me alleviate my lead foot. I hate being stuck behind someone, but don't necessarily want to drive fast enough to be passing everyone, and TACC (usually set to max distance) is a great way to not feel crowded and also not feel too slow or too fast. EAP adds on top of that less focus being required on driving down my lane, which allows me to better focus on everything else around me. I am much more relaxed / less stressed.

I've only been in stop and go traffic a few times and EAP was wonderful. With TACC/EAP handling the stopping and going, I'm not stressing about how fast I'm getting there, or if I should change lanes because the other lane is moving faster at that moment, I'm just enjoying the music I'm listening to. With the "responsibility" (in terms of managing distance to vehicle in front etc) taken out of my hands, I'm less inclined to care about the fact traffic is terrible, because I'm not directly fighting with it, just along for the ride / monitoring the situation. It's much less aggrevating. Again of course this is more TACC than EAP, but EAP does improve things.

If I had to say which I valued more, hands down it's TACC. If the option was TACC or EAP but I had to manage speed myself, TACC would be the obvious choice. But EAP I feel is worth it, overall, and I'm sure as they continue to improve it, it will get better.

Though I don't know where EAP will stop and FSD begin. There's been talk of onramp to offramp, but I'm not sure if that will be an EAP feature or FSD. I didn't buy FSD. If I wasn't already buying a car nearly 3x the price of my previous car I would have dug around the couch cushions for another $3k and bought FSD at the time simply because it was cheaper than after the fact (which of course has gone up in price, too). Not because I ever plan to let my car drive itself unattended, but because of FOMO and the relatively small increment cost (before the price increase) for what you theoretically would get. If FSD was already out I would have definitely splurged for it, but as a future promise it wasn't worth $3k now versus $4k (now $5k?) later.

• Informative
Reactions: CrazyCoconut
Would you pay ~$100/month to activate EAP on a subscription basis?

Putting aside the value one may place on the package today, I see the $5k EAP at purchase a discounted prepay for a a $100/month service that pays for itself after 4 yrs and 2 months and increases resale value as it goes with the life of the car.

Would have to include a minimum duration and set time to cancel (can’t just be flipped on and off).

FSD could be an additional subscription once it is out and working but I don’t see Tesla splitting up EAP options anytime soon.

I firmly believe that they will change the offering after the $35k model has been in production for a while and/or FSD becomes available. They will want to drive sales if the conversion rate is low on the base model.

That could mean changing the items that are included in EAP vs FSD, offering a subscription, promotional financing, etc...

There are a number of ways that they can drive sales without the big upfront cost to buyers. They will come in time.

Adaptive cruise control shouldn't be part of the EAP bundle IMO. I think that just shows us that they know the other EAP features aren't all that attractive.

That said, I am starting to enjoy autopilot in bumper to bumper traffic. I may actually wind up buying it.

All the arguments that the hardware is already in the car and its only a software update are completely missing the point.
If Tesla sold TACC on its own, say for $1000, maybe the majority of people would only buy that instead of the whole bundle.
Then Tesla loses money because $1K probably doesn't even cover the hardware cost let alone the massive ongoing cost of continually developing EAP.
Anyone who says software is "no cost" is kidding themselves, I'm betting the software investment dwarfs the cost of hardware, even when HW3 arrives.
Tesla is a business not a charity, hence the bundle and the bundle price.

Reactions: ord3r and MP3Mike