Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Options dictating order of precedence?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It just hit me after hearing how quickly someone in my same (April 6) batch received a VIN, while I still haven't received one...

... am I continuing to wait, due to my not having selected all possible options? I selected everything except for auto-pilot options... which strikes me instant, pure profit for Tesla. Am I being skipped over, in similar manner to non-premium package folks, because I'm not providing them maximum profit from my selection?

-Jeff

It just hit me after hearing how quickly someone in my same (April 6) batch received a VIN, while I still haven't received one...

... am I continuing to wait, due to my not having selected all possible options? I selected everything except for auto-pilot options... which strikes me instant, pure profit for Tesla. Am I being skipped over, in similar manner to non-premium package folks, because I'm not providing them maximum profit from my selection?

-Jeff

Nah. I don’t think so. At least I hope not.

What options did you select? Currently Tesla force you to select everything except for auto pilot anyways.

Yeah, I selected everything BUT auto pilot. But if you think about it, that's an additional $5000 they get for nothing more than a software enable. I'm just trying to understand why I haven't received my VIN, while others from 4/6 have.

Yeah, I selected everything BUT auto pilot. But if you think about it, that's an additional $5000 they get for nothing more than a software enable. I'm just trying to understand why I haven't received my VIN, while others from 4/6 have.

It has to do with their production process. If you take a look at the invite spreadsheet on the production tab, scroll right a bunch there is a listing of what car builds are waiting on VINs. Next to that, there is a listing of VIN to config. They do runs of similar configs to speed up production, but it does mean that unless you happen to have the config they are currently producing or they happen to have one already produced, you may have a wait.

It has to do with their production process. If you take a look at the invite spreadsheet on the production tab, scroll right a bunch there is a listing of what car builds are waiting on VINs. Next to that, there is a listing of VIN to config. They do runs of similar configs to speed up production, but it does mean that unless you happen to have the config they are currently producing or they happen to have one already produced, you may have a wait.

Okay, clearly I need to spend more time around this forum. What the heck... are you talking about?? Where do I find this invite spreadsheet? Production 'tab' ?. I apologize for my naivety here.

Okay, clearly I need to spend more time around this forum. What the heck... are you talking about?? Where do I find this invite spreadsheet? Production 'tab' ?. I apologize for my naivety here.
Under this forum (Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery), the sticky thread (12-28-17 New Invite / Configuring / Delivery Spreadsheet) -- the first post has the link to the spreadsheet in it. The spreadsheet has been split (due to the amount of users) and now contains the links to the two copies. They are identical (mirrors) of one another.

Reactions: stargazer
Elon always said that the higher optioned cars would be first. But, from a logistics standpoint, it would seem to me that the two key items that are relevant are paint color and location (assuming wheels are a commodity).

Paint shop can gear up to efficiently run one color thru at a time. Perhaps paint all white this week, and all blue next week.

And obviously, Elon wants to send a full truck/train car to Omaha for efficiency purposes. If you are the only order in a 500 mile radius, for example, you wait until more orders are filled for your neck of the woods.

(That would be my guess.)

And obviously, Elon wants to send a full truck/train car to Omaha for efficiency purposes. If you are the only order in a 500 mile radius, for example, you wait until more orders are filled for your neck of the woods.

lol, well... I've already identified another fellow Omahan here who is ready to travel to the retail center in Kansas City for pick-up (there will be no deliveries to Omaha, yet). I'm pretty sure the 500 mile radius around KC is drawing as many buyers as smaller areas of SoCal... and we're all ready to meet Tesla, where ever they deliver the cars. Now, pardon me while I go outside to the prairie to add gas to the generator powering my laptop. Some day soon, perhaps our tiny metro of 1 million will be on the electrical grid with the rest of you.

Elon always said that the higher optioned cars would be first. But, from a logistics standpoint, it would seem to me that the two key items that are relevant are paint color and location (assuming wheels are a commodity).

Paint shop can gear up to efficiently run one color thru at a time. Perhaps paint all white this week, and all blue next week.

(That would be my guess.)

Bottlenecks at the delivery centers and in transit are significant, as mentioned here. In a perfect world where the factory spooled up to 5k cars a week in November, I'm sure there would still be localized delays due to other factors.

I configured mine on 03/25... no VIN assigned yet. My cousin configured on 4/3 and he is scheduled for delivery on 04/21. My friend configured on 04/10 and he is scheduled for 04/20. These two just booked after a couple of hours after the online booking started. I stood in line for 3 hours and am totally pissed off for not getting the car yet!!

Reactions: ebmcs03
I configured mine on 03/25... no VIN assigned yet. My cousin configured on 4/3 and he is scheduled for delivery on 04/21. My friend configured on 04/10 and he is scheduled for 04/20. These two just booked after a couple of hours after the online booking started. I stood in line for 3 hours and am totally pissed off for not getting the car yet!!

It's all quite the mystery. In any case, thanks for making me feel not so bad.

• Disagree
Reactions: Snerruc

When I ordered my MS on january, 16th I was told by the SA "Your car will get a head start because you have the 100d over 75d's". I also have PUP, EAP and blue paint and creme interior. At that time when you switched from 75 to 100 and vice versa in the design studio the delivery timeframe actually jumped from "March" to "April".

However, it is now mid April and my car is still in the US (I'm from The Netherlands). Expected delivery is now mid may. Others who have bought a 75 in february (a month later than my order date) are on the same boat and some even got an earlier indicative delivery date.

So, atleast in my case it doesn't seem to actually make any difference. I got my VIN on the same date as a lot of other people in The Netherlands got their VIN.

It also looks like cars are built in order of configuration. First black color, then blue, etc, etc. So I highly doubt that having purchased options has any benefit regarding total days to delivery. Atleast in my case the delivery has actually been set back 2 months for no apparant reason.

• Informative
Reactions: Blue in NC
Biggest factor is wheels, sports are filled faster than aero. Next is color, silver is quick....
Screenshot_20180415-082826.jpg

Notice heavy red on left for Aeros?

If it helps, the aeros are being produced- they're just for older configurations. If you look at the raw data, 234 people with aeros have gotten VINs in the last two weeks, out of 359 VINs reported. So 65% of the cars being made are aeros. So it's not really a delay.

However, it is clear right now Aeros are more backlogged. The average config to VIN over the last two weeks of VIN's for aeros is 26 days, while for sports it's only 6 days. So yep, you wait 20 more days to get the car if you buy aeros. It's not clear this is Tesla actually prioritizing Aeros though, as there are twice as many aero orders as sports. They may literally have sport wheels lying around, while Aeros may be supplier constrained.

• Helpful
Reactions: UZJedi