Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Options for Installing Starlink OUTSIDE My House?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm considering installing Starlink outside once I finally get it. I live in a log house and I'm not excited about drilling a hole through the logs to run any cables. If absolutely necessary, I'll do it. But I'd like to avoid it. So I was considering the feasibility of mounting the dish out on my deck, and then mounting the router inside a weatherproof dielectric box under an awning to keep it out of direct rain/snow. I've got an outdoor outlet on the deck I could plug into.

So my question is...would this setup last in realistic weather conditions? Midwestern heat and humidity in the summer, and freezing cold in the winter. And if it would last, would the router provide decent penetration into my log house so we have internet inside? I've thought that maybe some kind of wireless mesh system might be in order, but I'm obviously pretty dumb when it comes to this stuff (must stuff, really).

We currently use a cellular-based AT&T internet service, which is painfully slow (less than 1mbps download most of the time) but has the benefit of not needing any wiring through the exterior walls. We live in the sticks, so Starlink will be our first real option for high speed internet.

You won't get the greatest of signals, but there is no reason not to try. Altelix makes some nice boxes- just get one in polycarbonate, and I would highly recommend one that has two vents and a fan.

It is more of a hassle, but you could drill through the foundation, and then come up inside the house in an unobtrusive corner.

All the best,

BG

You won't get the greatest of signals, but there is no reason not to try. Altelix makes some nice boxes- just get one in polycarbonate, and I would highly recommend one that has two vents and a fan.

It is more of a hassle, but you could drill through the foundation, and then come up inside the house in an unobtrusive corner.

All the best,

BG
Thank you for this. I hadn't even considered going in through the basement foundation, so I'll do some more thinking about that. At first glance it may be my best option.

Just coming back with more info/links now that I have time.

Powerline adapters (pair of them)
https://www.amazon.com/Powerline-Pass-Thru-Gigabit-Homeplug-PLA6456BBKIT/dp/B07ZHPY8WN/ - These have passthru plugs so that you could plug both the StarLink power adapter on one side, and the wireless AP (not router) on the other side inside the house/cabin.

For access points, I would look at the Unifi line, and either a cloud key, or a windows/linux/mac computer to install the controller software on (does not need to be on 24/7, and it can run on a raspberry pi even). A lot of Unifi stuff is sold out right now, but you can set alerts to get an email when it is in stock.

or
or

None of the Unifi6 line ship with Power over Ethernet adapters, so you would either need a PoE switch, or an injector

Switch option: Switch Lite 8 PoE

PoE injector option: PoE Injector, 802.3AT

-Harry

Reactions: Baluchi