TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Options Packages: Your choices?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Robert.Boston, Dec 29, 2011.

?

What options will you purchase?

1. Metallic/Pearl Paint

66 vote(s)
    66.0%
  2. Pano Roof

65 vote(s)
    65.0%
  3. 19" Aero Wheels

25 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. 21" Wheels

29 vote(s)
    29.0%
  5. Leather Seats

73 vote(s)
    73.0%
  6. Tech Package

82 vote(s)
    82.0%
  7. Sound Studio

55 vote(s)
    55.0%
  8. Air Suspension

75 vote(s)
    75.0%
  9. Rear-facing Seats

14 vote(s)
    14.0%
  10. Twin Chargers

36 vote(s)
    36.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Now that we've seen the pricing of various options, what are you planning on ordering?

2. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I just chose pano roof since the sig comes with all of that (aside from the roof and seats) standard

3. engle

engle Member

There should be a separate poll for Signature models, since they have few options. Otherwise, the results of this poll will be hard to decipher.

4. roblab

roblab Active Member

Personally, I want the plain brown standard car, with "Signature" on the back, but nothing special, with tan leather. I want the sport option, but no carbon fiber, no fancy marking. I want people to think, "Oh, look, it's just a plain Tesla", sort of like when my brother bought his first Toyota Corona and stuck the 350 chevy v8 into it. Only the motorcycle exhaust pipes gave it away, but that was after the race started. Otherwise, some would get the standard and then aftermarket the carbon fiber accents. I won't need accents to spell performance. So far, I can't believe Tesla would insist you can only get a Sig in 4 colors.

5. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

Paint on a brand new car line is extremely challenging. Even with limited options it will be a challenge. Fisker has had numerous delays and problems from the paint side of things. I think Tesla felt forced to limit the colors in the beginning of production. I bet that even if you have an 85kWh early production model, you'll get it faster if you've selected the black, silver, or pearl white. But I could be wrong.

My understanding is that the badging of the performance package was a long and intense decision process. Some, like you, wanted a "stealth" performance car. Others wanted the badging like AMG or M to show off the sportiness without having to risk a ticket.

Personally, I love the carbon fiber accents and I hope the letters SPORT show up in the badging, at least on the back. But that's me.

6. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

You could always remove the badging and make a "sleeper" if that's what you desire...

7. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight _____ P85 #549 _____ Sig Red / Sig White

The Tech Package and the Leather Seats which 75% - 85% of the people say they would get, to me represent the $5,000+ "stealth" increase in the effective Model S price.

8. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

22 voters, none have selected the jump seat option.

9. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

29 voters, someone has now...

10. Arnold Panz

Arnold Panz Model Sig 304, VIN 542

I was #2 for the rear facing seats. I have 3 young kids with lots of friends and carpools and whatnot. Those extra 2 seats are huge for me. With all of the storage space, it's the best equivalent to a minivan, although about a million times cooler!

11. efusco

I have 3 kids too, but by the time I have my Model S my daughter will be 8 and she's as big as most 10 year olds already. My boys will be 13 and way too big for the jump seats. I think the opportunities to use the seats will be few and far between and I can make better use of the extra space.

12. Arnold Panz

It's definitely a niche option for a segment of people with YOUNG kids. My kids ages range from 10 to 4, and aren't particularly big for their ages, so I figure I've got at least 5 years where they'll be extremely useful. Plus, I've got nieces and nephews younger than my kids, so those seats will be used for many years. For those who need it, it's a fantastic option to offer and made the buying decision much easier, even though it's a pretty small window of time that one needs those child seats. I for one am grateful Elon had so many young kids because I'm sure that's what pushed him to put those seats back there, and make them the safest seats in the car.

13. Adm

Adm Active Member

Some companies spend fortunes on market research. Tesla just needs to check this forum...

14. goyogi

goyogi Member

I talked to the local Tesla dealer/genius and he said the limited colors is because they are the Tesla colors.

15. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

My personal experience backs up every word you write. We bought the extra seats in my wife's Mountaineer for all the reasons people quote (school runs, car pooling, kids, sports etc. etc.) and in reality I think we used them maybe twice in the last 4 years.

16. efusco

My wife's Highlander Hybrid has a little jump seat for the 3rd row and about once or twice a month we wedge a kid or two back there when we need to carry an extra adult or two on a short drive and don't want to take 2 vehicles. But there's no way a kid could survive along trip back there--their knees knock their chins about every bump! If my kids were 4-5 years younger I probably would get the jump set just to have for those sorts of occasions, but the reality now is I'd pull the thing out and then have to store it somewhere and never use it.

17. Arnold Panz

In that case it's probably not worth the loss of space in the rear. For my family, my wife has had a car with three rows for the past several years (currently a Mercedes GL), and we use the third row at least once a month. That might not sound like much, but the convenience of having that third row when you need it is invaluable for a family with young kids.

I also have a friend who has a regular reservation who has four kids (ages 11, 9, 7 and 5) who is extremely excited to have those extra seats in the back so he doesn't need to take his wife's hulking SUV everywhere when the whole family is together, even for a 5 minute drive.

18. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

The Tech Package, arguably one of the more lambasted options (for its price), has the lead! Who would have bet on that a week ago...

19. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

I think that's exactly why it caused so much uproar -- it contains at least one thing that nearly everyone thought was essential, and so added $3750 to the price of the "base" vehicle.

20. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

But compared to other auto makers, it's not actually a bad price.