Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Options To Select During Configuration if Not Financing Through Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All - As I look forward to configuring my Model 3, I noticed in the various descriptions and videos of the configurator that you need to select either "Cash" or "Financing" when ordering. My assumption was "Financing" means financing through Tesla, however I wanted to have the option to get outside financing to get the best rate possible.

Does anyone have any insight as to the rules of the different options? If I select cash can I show up to delivery with a check from another financing company? Or should I select financing? I really don't want to delay configuration as I want my car ASAP :).

Thanks in advance!

I'm a little confused. Do we need to know for sure how we plan on financing the car at configuration? My process would be configure the car, then see what loan rates the banks can offer, then compare to Tesla's rate, and choose based on that.

I chose to finance via Tesla on the website, but ended up financing via my own bank once I got quotes.

If you choose finance via Tesla, you will get a quote from their partner. If you don't like it, you just let the sales rep know and they turn it off and let you finance via your own bank.

How long after you configured did Tesla have you do the credit application?

Thanks. Do you mind giving the rough timeline and elapsed days for order -> financing -> VIN -> delivery? Not sure if you got VIN first or anything.

Sure!

12/14: Got invite to configure - 4 week delivery estimate. Selected to delay for AWD
12/21: Wrecked my Model S :-( Configured and finalized Model 3 order
12/23: Called by Tesla to see if I could take delivery before end of year (!) Was traveling, so couldn't. My VIN showed up in My Tesla around this timeframe. .
12/27: Asked to finish filling out info in My Tesla (registration, drivers license) and to apply for financing through Tesla. Applied for loan with my local CU.
12/28: Got offer from Tesla financing, but it wasn't as good as CU, so let them know I wasn't interested.
1/2 - 1/5: Lots of back and forth getting final MVPA set up so that CU was happy and would release check. Finally got everything settled Friday afternoon
1/6: Delivery!

Sure!

12/14: Got invite to configure - 4 week delivery estimate. Selected to delay for AWD
12/21: Wrecked my Model S :-( Configured and finalized Model 3 order
12/23: Called by Tesla to see if I could take delivery before end of year (!) Was traveling, so couldn't. My VIN showed up in My Tesla around this timeframe. .
12/27: Asked to finish filling out info in My Tesla (registration, drivers license) and to apply for financing through Tesla. Applied for loan with my local CU.
12/28: Got offer from Tesla financing, but it wasn't as good as CU, so let them know I wasn't interested.
1/2 - 1/5: Lots of back and forth getting final MVPA set up so that CU was happy and would release check. Finally got everything settled Friday afternoon
1/6: Delivery!

Gotcha. Thanks!