Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Options..unbundled??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I'm new to Tesla. Estimated delivery May-July 2018.

Any thoughts/speculation as to whether or not options would be unbundled, available "a la carte?"

I understand why they're bundled (streamline production, early value capture, etc.), but, say I just want the glass roof or premium seats (undecided on both), do you think these could be added separately by the time it's time for me to order? Did Tesla do this on the S/X?

I know this would just be speculation at this point - nothing is official but curious what happened on other models and if we could expect unbundling?

Note: the question is not about the implied value of the PUP. I'm sure it's a great deal, but that doesn't necessarily reflect one's willingness to pay.

Thanks!

I doubt the options will be unbundled. The Model S/X options used to be unbundled a lot but Tesla has recently moved towards bundling the S/X options together or making some features standard. So the trend definitely seems to be towards fewer options, not more. I doubt Tesla will change course for the Model 3.

Bundling happens when a company stops caring about the customers who made them what they are, and starts caring only about profits.

Bundling happens when automakers go from boutique volumes to mass volumes.

So what many thought was impossible a year ago, take a $70k car, shrink it a bit,cut the non necessary luxury bits, and offer it for half the price of $35k is now possible.

And make it profitable. Because non profitable companies are not sustainable.

It is Model 3 profits that will fund future gigafactories. And it is those gigafactories that will be the tip of the spear in decarbonizing the global economy.

Indeed. The fact is, it's possible to get a Model 3 for $35k in the base model only because they try to make the options packages so tempting. If you buy a $35k Tesla, there's not going to be that much profit in it for them; people who buy options are basically subsidizing your $35k purchase. Adding options does cost Tesla more, but not as much as they take in extra from the option (and adding autopilot costs them nothing).

Tesla's average expected sale value is, what, $43k? So if you're spending less than that in options, Tesla's option system is working to your favour. If you're spending more than that, you're helping make Tesla more affordable to a larger userbase.

Tesla has recently moved to the bundling of options for the Model S and Model X. Therefore it is likely this will be the method which will be used on the Model 3. It does not look they will have individual options.

GOD forbid a company wants to be "profitable" right?? Go buy a Lada !!

7lruHtL.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: pangolina