Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Options you like to see on the Model 3 in the future (discontinued and never offered)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
During the ramping up, Tesla changed a number of options available for the Model 3, ultimately cutting down the configs to scale. That got me wondering though if in the future Tesla will bring some of the back, perhaps as demand levers, increase market share, or for whatever reason.

We've seen LR RWD and FSD come back so far after going away, though I'm not sure if I would count those in this category.

What options would you like to see comeback, perhaps even ones that were never offered in the first place?

For me, on the have offered list, the return of Performance w/o the upgrade package.

For an option never offered on the Model 3, a different headliner. A black headliner with the white interior (like the Model S/X) would be awesome. (And as a minor bonus different dash w/the white interior, though you can DIY).

However I'm not holding my breath for any major options added at this time (especially cosmetic ones), unless Tesla can get good ROI out of adding complexity/options to the factory process.

Dark headliner
Premium interior trim that isn't the stupid piano black garbage
Heated steering wheel
More-adjustable seats (they aren't BAD, but for us tall folk they could definitely be improved)
Cooled seats
More/better (more adventurous / less boring) paint colors
CarPlay/Android Auto
Factory chrome delete
Aero wheel option that'll clear the brakes on the Performance (I believe the new 19" Aeros for China may fit the bill)

Oh also:

A keyfob that isn't crippled and dumb

and/or

Frunk badge doubles as button to pop frunk (frunk is annoying without a fob, and the fob isn't worth buying)
Summon over local connection instead of over the internet (nice with fob on S/X, annoying AF on 3 with phone)

Heated steering wheel would be nice
Option when not moving to spy out any of the cameras would be nice
More choice on music streaming - I like Pandora, have it taught perfectly.
Better Android phone support / integration (partially addressed in recent updates, but still...)
Official towing package

In No Particular Order.

Power lift trunk (maybe only on model y?).
Charging stop time. (For those of us on TOU)
Unlock charging port without having to unlock the car first by opening a door or using the phone app.
Music streaming options.
HUD.
A real premium headliner (Alcantara Black Headliner etc).
Air Suspension.
360 camera.
Display Playlist when BT streaming from phone.
Adaptive Headlights.
Sunroof.
Traction control options on all models.
Dash Cam Rear Camera.
A way to stop the car using regen only (like the bolt).
More Routing preferences (NOA always wants me to me a way I don't want to go)
Adjustments for Auto Dimming Mirrors or Auto Dimming mirrors that work properly at least a way to turn them off.
Actual sensor for windshield wipers.

In No Particular Order.

Power lift trunk (maybe only on model y?).
Charging stop time. (For those of us on TOU)
Unlock charging port without having to unlock the car first by opening a door or using the phone app.
A real premium headliner (Alcantara Black Headliner etc).
360 camera.
Display Playlist when BT streaming from phone.
Adaptive Headlights.
Sunroof.
Traction control options on all models.
Dash Cam Rear Camera.
A way to stop the car using regen only (like the bolt).
More Routing preferences (NOA always wants me to me a way I don't want to go)
Adjustments for Auto Dimming Mirrors or Auto Dimming mirrors that work properly at least a way to turn them off.
Actual sensor for windshield wipers.

Totally on board with all of these

Music streaming options.
HUD.

Sure, fine I guess. I don't really miss having a HUD but I know people get tight in the pants over them so whatever.

Air Suspension.

…as long as it's optional. This is the one thing I actively do not want on my car. Other stuff is like "whatever, fine, I won't use it but it doesn't bother me", but gimmick suspensions can go back to the hell they came from.

Totally on board with all of these

Sure, fine I guess. I don't really miss having a HUD but I know people get tight in the pants over them so whatever.

…as long as it's optional. This is the one thing I actively do not want on my car. Other stuff is like "whatever, fine, I won't use it but it doesn't bother me", but gimmick suspensions can go back to the hell they came from.
I kind of agree an air suspension, although It does smooth out the ride in the S. I worry about upkeep, but I know it would make allot of people happy. I think a Hud would be nice since we have no cluster. My wifes volvo shows speed limit (read from street signs) next GPS direction and distance until, and current speed. It's not that the center display is hard to use but it's certainly nicer to just have into on a hud.

I also forgot to add: Blind Spot Warning indicator on side mirrors.

Wipers moving seamlessly. It looks like something is wring with how they’re designed or programmed.
Power trunk. Current design is unbalanced and makes gentle closing difficult.
Automatic door opening/closing (I have seen this on X).

Wagon option!
spare tire in frunk
windshield wiper stalk or working sensor
18" aero wheels that fit the performance brakes (make the performance rotors have the same offset as the normal rotors while you're at it!)
Stability control/traction control disable
50/50 torque split mode for snow
I also forgot to add: Blind Spot Warning indicator on side mirrors.
Yes! and make it work. So far I've only had false positives with the blind spot warning.
CarPlay/Android Auto
Yes!
Why can't they do this with existing hardware?

I’d really like the option to purchase track mode or at least stability disable for the non performance cars.
Expert screen mode with more info on car, batt temp, rpm, torque and HP output, etc.
Stream movies off usb stick when parked
CarPlay or at least better phone control

- Getting back the Light Silver color.

- Be able to control the windows, the same way you can control the seat temperature.
(It just happens that sometime I press accidentally on the back window buttons when going out with open widows)

- Additional 12 V plugs and also 110 V converter included allowing to plug a laptop:
under the smartphone location USB plugs, also a 12 V plug on the middle rear console, and in the trunk.
- Add a new version with a redesigned back window allowing to have a hatchback version.

Missing the white matching arm rest:

White Arm Rest .jpg

The Porsche Macan has a white matching arm rest:

Porsche Macan Int .jpg

Last edited:
For an option never offered on the Model 3, a different headliner.

There actually was a different alcantara headliner early on, but you just had to be lucky to get it, you couldn’t pick it. It was quickly discontinued. I lucked out and ended up with it :) A black option would be nice, though, especially for the white interior.

I want XM radio built in as an option. The XM app sucks and I don’t have a solid enough connection for my commute to use the car streaming option without being very annoyed with all the dropped signals. I have actually resorted to old fashioned terrestrial FM radio for my commute now.

A pamper you trim
Heated Steering Wheel
Cooled Seats with Massager (like the E-tron)
Heads up Display where it gives status indication (like pedestrian detected on your left).

On all cars
360 degree view with down facing cameras (like the E-Tron)
Rear Corner radars (better confidence of cars coming up)
Blindspot detection in the mirrors (that work with the radars)
Car2Car and Infrastructure to vehicle communication.

Software Only updates
Snow Mode
Automatic notification that my regular route is backed up by traffic and I should take another route. It should have an ability to detect driving patterns where I go.
Be able to draw a route and save a route.

Last edited: