Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Orange Color on Sunroof when Wet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a March 2019 with it, on the forward portion of the roof glass. A lot of the earlier ones had it on the back portion as well, but I believe that’s what’s changed primarily.
Yep
I have always liked the affect.
I like it as well.

AD7516BF-3EDB-4C0F-9A11-6B076A8A53A6.jpeg

The IR glass roof that I have on my 9/2018 Model 3 is one of my favorite things about the car!! Love going out to it during the cold winter mornings and seeing the color change on the frost or rain drops. Kind of sad if different glass is being sourced and it’s no longer being used in the cars. Here’s one of my favorite photos of the effect. Just little colored gems on my roof!

350A0C75-E717-4BEC-98B7-60761DED3601.jpeg

Even a Starbucks barista at the drive thru said she just had to ask me about my car’s roof. Conversation starter.

Reactions: X-pilot
This is hilarious. Was also going through Starbucks drive through about a week ago and was told “cool orange roof”

Yeah, I have had people at work, and even strangers ask me about it. My Dec 2018 Model 3P has both the roof and back window with the reflective material that causes the orange color when its wet, so my entire back glass is orange when its wet.

One of the weird things about tesla model years is how arbitrary dates have changes in the car, not model years.

Yeah, I have had people at work, and even strangers ask me about it. My Dec 2018 Model 3P has both the roof and back window with the reflective material that causes the orange color when its wet, so my entire back glass is orange when its wet.

One of the weird things about tesla model years is how arbitrary dates have changes in the car, not model years.
That’s cool. Mine only has the front portion that’s orange when wet. I definitely prefer the entire roof area in orange but at least I got a portion of it. Curious if it’ll ever return in future versions?

Me neither. This is the only regret that I have about waiting 6 mos to buy.

But I have HW3! (maybe?)

If you have HW3 you have visualizations (stop signs, stop lights etc) in the USA if you have them enabled under the Autopilot settings. Oh, and you also have a crap backup camera frame rate which I swear I won’t stop talking about till Tesla fixes it for us HW3 owners.