Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Orange ring with HWPC with loaner car????

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
P85D in for cooling system failure. Have a really nice brand new refresh 90D with a single charger.

When I plug my HWPC in, I get an orange ring and an error that says:

"Charger Cable Unlatched: Fully Insert Cable Into Car"

It is fully inserted. I tried many times. No difference. UMC works fine at work with 40 amps but I don't have a 240 volt plug.

J1772 chargers work fine too.

So is this some incompatibility with the older 80 amp HWPC with the newer refresh Teslas? Does my HWPC have an issue that isn't exposed by my P85D but is by using some other car? This is the first refresh loaner I've had.

Now it does charge but it maxes out at 16 amps, so it will take 11 hours which I don't have due to off peak only being from 11 pm to 7 am.

Any ideas?

The connectors inside the UMC handle on the HWPC are perfectly clean and there's nothing stuck in any of the holes and the latch firmly latches onto the cable. You can hear it click after inserting it and it won't release the cable unless it's unlocked, so it is latching.

When you insert the charger, push down on the handle gently in a way that the tip of the charger tilts up slightly inside the charge port. I don’t know if that’s normal but this is the only way my HPWC charges with green light.

I think it may have to do with the fact that the cable is heavy and it is naturally supposed to come down under its own weight and push the tip of the charger up. But since mine is wall mounted and the cable actually lays on the tool chest it doesn’t have any weight pulling the handle down.