Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order before March 1 or wait until end of Q1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I opted fo

I opted for the Rimetrix Laminar on our 2023 Model Y LR. Mostly for the style but also because they took aero into account when most others don't seem to. Since we road trip ours quite a bit this was higher on the list of considerations for this car. Less so on my P100D for instance where I've got 20's and don't much care about aero but aesthetics are more important. Our experience is that the claims of aero on the Rimetrix Laminars being similar to stock is pretty credible. I'd probably just move them to our 2024 if Tesla just lowers the price just a little... Bit... More.
Great point. I agree. Most of the other versions of 19 covers are one direction which is nuts. There needs to be a right and left version so the airflow works on both sides.

You can go with the 19s and add the Rimetrix covers for the "20's" look. Here's my 8% off SG Austin built MYLR I bought on Thursday. She's still without a name... having trouble thinking of one.

Pic of my car with them, attachments not working.

+1 for the Rimetrix covers. I had them ready to go when I picked up my Y today and they look 100000x better than the gemini covers. In-case it breaks the rules I won't post it directly here, but if anyone is interested in $20 off via my referral link (we both would get $20) just hit me up via DM. :)

+1 for the Rimetrix covers. I had them ready to go when I picked up my Y today and they look 100000x better than the gemini covers. In-case it breaks the rules I won't post it directly here, but if anyone is interested in $20 off via my referral link (we both would get $20) just hit me up via DM. :)
rewke, please share your referral link. Sorry, I couldn’t figure out how to message you. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Great point. I agree. Most of the other versions of 19 covers are one direction which is nuts. There needs to be a right and left version so the airflow works on both sides.
The Gemini covers don’t appear to be directional based on a few pictures I’ve looked at. The only ones I see advertised as directional are these from Tsportline?

And these

When I sold my M3P during the pandemic it was with the intention of buying a MYLR when prices returned to normal. Took longer than expected :( and then I waited to see what happened with Highland and I decided Juniper was not worth passing up the current deals. Saw a new Ultra Red MYP for 49,680 online and quickly ordered it. My delivery date is Tuesday and I'm excited to pick it up, but also nervous it might have a defect that would force me to cancel; if I do I'll probably snap up the Grey LR they have for 44,980. I was on the fence between the MYP and LR, the deciding factor was getting Ultra Red upgrade for essentially free. It's going to be a long Monday LOL

Now the question is do I PPF? I've never PPF'd a vehicle not even the M3P and was totally fine so I'm leaning towards no. Whats your thoughts on PPF?

When I sold my M3P during the pandemic it was with the intention of buying a MYLR when prices returned to normal. Took longer than expected :( and then I waited to see what happened with Highland and I decided Juniper was not worth passing up the current deals. Saw a new Ultra Red MYP for 49,680 online and quickly ordered it. My delivery date is Tuesday and I'm excited to pick it up, but also nervous it might have a defect that would force me to cancel; if I do I'll probably snap up the Grey LR they have for 44,980. I was on the fence between the MYP and LR, the deciding factor was getting Ultra Red upgrade for essentially free. It's going to be a long Monday LOL

Now the question is do I PPF? I've never PPF'd a vehicle not even the M3P and was totally fine so I'm leaning towards no. Whats your thoughts on PPF?
I don't think I'm getting PPF. Did it on my Model 3 and there are parts where the rocks ripped the PPF on the lower bumper. I'm sure it protected my car's hood etc. but for the price the value isn't there IMHO. The only part I'm going to PPF is the back door area where rock chips hit the car. I've seen the PPF for 30 or 40 dollars on Amazon so I'm going to get that and install.

I've stared at a gray P for a few days. Would be about same price as the LR in white or red around me. Pretty afraid of damaging the wheels/tires on the P though.
Just picked up the MYP (Stealth Grey) this past weekend. I've had a MYLR+AB with the induction wheels for almost 2.5 years (not a single scratch other than a tiny chip from road debris).

A bit of advice -- Always be conscious of curbs, and turning radius. Never push it, better safe than sorry. If you try you can keep them looking new, it just takes a little effort. I've even parallel parked with 2" clearance on the old MYLR. I would never do that with the MYP, and would plan on 6" minimum for clearance. Or just don't PP. ;)

Nice. may be doing the same….got a MYLR in January, and now thinking another MYLR or MYP …decisions decisions

My only concern is road trips with a two TSLA fam. I love my 3 SR around the city, but fam. likes to complain about SC for road trips with a ~190 mile range.

Also If I had an old FUSC to transfer I would do it, by justifying free SC, but current SC pricing is almost close to gas in some states.

I checked our typical road trips on ABetterRoutePlanner back when we were researching the first YLR and they all worked out great (on paper of course) so the Tesla was already our “road trip” car. But as always it all depends on where you want to go, what the charging situation is, and what your tolerance for stops is. For us the answer was Y.

Reactions: vickh
I don't think I'm getting PPF. Did it on my Model 3 and there are parts where the rocks ripped the PPF on the lower bumper. I'm sure it protected my car's hood etc. but for the price the value isn't there IMHO. The only part I'm going to PPF is the back door area where rock chips hit the car. I've seen the PPF for 30 or 40 dollars on Amazon so I'm going to get that and install.
Thanks for your opinion. I also feel it's not worth it and decided if it does get chip so bad I feel the need to paint it, I'd color wrap it. I'll look into the amazon thing.

Reactions: Taney71
I test drove a MYP yesterday evening. My word for the acceleration is savage. I could feel it in my neck when I buried the throttle from a stop. I’m amazed that the car can put down that much power without as much as chirping a tire. You can seemingly pull into the smallest of gaps and know that the car won’t let you down or slow down the person behind you. I actually found the throttle a little too enthusiastic in loose stop and go traffic, almost jumpy. It needs a normal LR level of power between chill and sport. I tried out the P brakes by doing some 0-60 runs and full brake to the floor. They stop well but there is a significant amount of ABS intervention on dry pavement.

The ride on the 21” wheels was ok, I was searching out rough road and potholes. I didn’t find the ride jarring or offensive. I didn’t get a chance to take it on the highway because it was rush hour in Boston so I can’t really judge the difference in noise.

I’m glad I drove it, but I think the LR makes more sense for my intended use.

I did take a close look at several new cars in different colors while I was there. Build quality and panel gaps were good on everything I looked at. I noticed some swirl marks on the bumpers of the gray cars, probably from buffing off minor scratches, they were very noticeable. White looked the cleanest and easiest to take care of. Currently the best deal in my area is 9% on gray, 10% on black, and 7% on white. For the $2K difference it makes me want to look into getting a gray car wrapped in urban camo of some sort.

The efficiency on my drive wasn’t good, I did a bunch of full throttle hits in that 5 miles.
IMG_7947.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Skavatar
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on another MYLR this time a 2024 (obv) and Stealth Gray on White. The price was $44,990 or 10% off of MSRP plus the $1k additionally fore the white interior which was our target. Brand new, zero miles.

As an added bonus I submitted our 2023 w/over 20k miles on it and, much to my pleasant surprise, they're going to give me $31,500 for it. In our state, we'll save on the taxable amount between the trade-in and the new vehicle purchase so with that savings tacked on it's nearly $34k for our trade versus selling it outright. That's pretty solid and a couple grand more than I expected we'd see based on following some of the recent posts here from others w/similar vehicles they traded in the last few months.

$44,990 was the price after $5k discount. We'll get another $1k for the white interior making it $43,990 effectively. In our state, we've got a $5k EV tax credit plus the federal $7,500 one as well. That puts our purchase price at $31,400 before applicable tax & fees. Now, with that number in your head, refer back to the trade value we'll be getting for our 2023 w/over 20k miles.

We'd be crazy not to do it.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on another MYLR this time a 2024 (obv) and Stealth Gray on White. The price was $44,990 or 10% off of MSRP plus the $1k additionally fore the white interior which was our target. Brand new, zero miles.

As an added bonus I submitted our 2023 w/over 20k miles on it and, much to my pleasant surprise, they're going to give me $31,500 for it. In our state, we'll save on the taxable amount between the trade-in and the new vehicle purchase so with that savings tacked on it's nearly $34k for our trade versus selling it outright. That's pretty solid and a couple grand more than I expected we'd see based on following some of the recent posts here from others w/similar vehicles they traded in the last few months.

$44,990 was the price after $5k discount. We'll get another $1k for the white interior making it $43,990 effectively. In our state, we've got a $5k EV tax credit plus the federal $7,500 one as well. That puts our purchase price at $31,400 before applicable tax & fees. Now, with that number in your head, refer back to the trade value we'll be getting for our 2023 w/over 20k miles.

We'd be crazy not to do it.
Was the $31,500 trade in value an estimate or a confirmed price?