Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order Today, get it by End of Year? Options to avoid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You'll get a Performance Model 3 and RWD by end of the year. If going with Performance Model 3, white seats will get you the car faster. Non-P AWD seems to be the slowest at the moment, but there have been a ton of scheduled AWD deliveries end of August and beginning of September.

East coast is disadvantaged due to transit times. There will be a cutoff date to where cars are just not shipped anymore since it doesn't get delivered until next year no matter what.

A person wanting AWD should go Performance if they are risk adverse.

Those who desire RWD can try their luck with RWD.

Whatever you do don’t order white seats plus 19 inch rims. Those are not getting delivered at all right now.

Also, consider not getting the AWD unless you absolutely need it for snow.

Both cars are in the “4 second” range 0-60 and you won’t be able to tell much difference.

The RWD has gotten 4.9 before and most are getting 4.3-4.5 with the AWD.

If snow is not a major concern save the money.

Edit: Forgot to mention another downside to the all-wheel-drive model it scored almost 25 miles less range in the EPA test. If you care about distance and efficiency that is also very important

Tesla should do the right thing on this subject. My wife decided she wants a red AWD 3 and I talked with the Tesla rep today. He told me to expect 2-4 months on delivery. OK, so if I order now, I SHOULD get it by Dec 31 and get the full Federal tax credit. I told him that in light of everything that has been going on at Tesla on the production side, and with capital adequacy and potential supplier skittishness, I am concerned about Tesla hitting that 4 month target, and my getting the full tax benefit. I told the tesla rep that in light of these very valid concerns, Tesla should guarantee to us that if a final order is put in by August 31st, and we dont have delivery by Dec 31st, Tesla should make up to me the lost $3,750 tax credit due to their delay. He said that wasn't policy but he would pass it uphill.

We are a real Tesla family. We have been on the list for a year or so, and have a P85 classic and two Powerwalls, but I am concerned. If Tesla is monitoring this forum, make the guarantee I ask for. It could be what puts me over the edge to place my order. Beyond that, it is wrong for Tesla NOT to make us whole if they screw up in production, and with all the other pressures on management right now, it might actually free up a couple of nervous orders for Tesla to show that confidence in themselves.

There's no way Tesla is going to take on this financial risk ,,,

Tesla should do the right thing on this subject. My wife decided she wants a red AWD 3 and I talked with the Tesla rep today. He told me to expect 2-4 months on delivery. OK, so if I order now, I SHOULD get it by Dec 31 and get the full Federal tax credit. I told him that in light of everything that has been going on at Tesla on the production side, and with capital adequacy and potential supplier skittishness, I am concerned about Tesla hitting that 4 month target, and my getting the full tax benefit. I told the tesla rep that in light of these very valid concerns, Tesla should guarantee to us that if a final order is put in by August 31st, and we dont have delivery by Dec 31st, Tesla should make up to me the lost $3,750 tax credit due to their delay.

Tesla is giving a wide window for your car to be ready, not a particular date. There's no way they can guarantee a delivery date nor refund you the missing portion of a tax credit that they are not paying you. The longer you wait, the more you jeopardize a 2017 delivery.

If there's any consolation, because of the surge in businesses buying commercial trucks, the manufacturers can't build them fast enough. If you were to order a Kenworth, Peterbilt, Freightliner, etc. now, it could be 6-7 months until you see it. So for a not nearly as established company like Tesla to be at 2-4 months, not looking so bad.

If Tesla is monitoring this forum, make the guarantee I ask for. It could be what puts me over the edge to place my order. Beyond that, it is wrong for Tesla NOT to make us whole if they screw up in production, and with all the other pressures on management right now, it might actually free up a couple of nervous orders for Tesla to show that confidence in themselves.
They are not screwing up production, they simply have more orders than they can fill, that is not a screw up. There's no way they are going to do what you say since the problem is too many orders, why would they want to encourage more orders?

It will be interesting in a few days to see whether the configurator stops advertising what the price will be after a full $7,500 tax savings. If Tesla's own (presumably best) estimate for most configurations remains at 2-4 months, that stretches beyond the full tax credit window, so it would seem somewhat shady to keep advertising that customers should expect that full savings.

I ordered today after test driving my friends tonight. Interior was much nicer than expected. I was also concerned the car was small but it felt like a perfect size car. Coming from a 2011 VW CC. Not to small, not too big.

Ordered AWD in Red, Black Interior and 18” wheels. And both auto driving options of course. Almost $70k with MA taxes, gulp.

If the car was FWD I would have opted for that. But I will never own a RWD in New England weather. I don’t care how well balanced the weight distribution is. It’s just not the same. And I will get snows for the Midel AWD. The VW CC (FWD) was fantastic in the snow with snow tires.

I ordered today after test driving my friends tonight. Interior was much nicer than expected. I was also concerned the car was small but it felt like a perfect size car. Coming from a 2011 VW CC. Not to small, not too big.

Ordered AWD in Red, Black Interior and 18” wheels. And both auto driving options of course. Almost $70k with MA taxes, gulp.

If the car was FWD I would have opted for that. But I will never own a RWD in New England weather. I don’t care how well balanced the weight distribution is. It’s just not the same. And I will get snows for the Midel AWD. The VW CC (FWD) was fantastic in the snow with snow tires.
Good ole MA. Then there's the annual excise tax :(