Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered a Tesla!!! Need your advice on moving forward OR NOT?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Friends,

Some of you might have seen my posts lately, learning and contemplating decisions. But my patience didn't last too long and I ended up ordering a pre-owned Tesla last night!! I have to start talking delivery in an hour or two, but I really need some advice. Here are my options:

1. Ordered from Tesla - 2014 P85D (Badged as P90DL, Screen/UI says P90D) - 38,200 miles, $45K, + Suspension, AP1, 21 inch wheels, really seems to have everything but the jumper seats in the back. Carfax shows 1 owner, no accidents. Will try my best to understand from my rep as to what is happening... why a P85D has that badging and such, so wish me luck. No Supercharging for free, looks like they're cutting off Premium Connectivity too. 2yr/100K miles warranty, roughly 60K left over the next 2 years. Battery and motor warranty will end in 2022 as well, it seems.

2. Negotiating, but no deal yet - Buying from a dealer - 2016 - P90D - 73K miles, $51K (maybe $49K) - no warranty (maybe 3rd party?). Battery and motor warranty will go till 2024. 1 owner, not auctioned off, trade in. Could possible have FUSC, Connectivity when transferred, Tesla said no, but it's possible reading around. All other options are the same, except tan seats in this one, no + suspension.

3. Walk away - keep looking - eat the $100?

Need your prompt, helpful advice, please continue to be kind and impart knowledge as so many of you have been to me so far :)! Thank you in advance!

Bonus. The 90kWh battery is a lot better than the 85kWh batteries were. Newer technology.

To many variables between the two cars to make a guess which would be best for you.
Different miles, warranty, history, condition etc.

Be aware there are lots of stories of people buying from an independent dealership where the sellers don't have a good handle on what they are selling.

Guys,

Thank you for the very quick responses.

My thoughts are leaning towards getting it too because it is in AMAZING shape from the looks of the pictures. Plus it's from Tesla and them putting in the 90 battery makes the most sense.

Additional clarity from Tesla - MCU replaced in July last year, Battery upgraded to 90k, no Ludicrous Mode (any thoughts on this?), and my rep will also try to find any other major fixes that happened (which is surprising, cause I thought he wouldn't tell me crap).

Just feel bad about the car never having FUSC and Ludicrous mode... and lastly the car losing battery/motor warranty in 2022, but other than that, I feel like it might be a really solid deal. What do you guys think?

Honestly Ludicrous is a nice to have. Insane mode is plenty fast. P85D with Ludicrous was pretty uncommon as it came out right before P90D and was like 10k upgrade. FUSC is nice if you plan on decent amount of road tripping but I'd say most of us do 95% of our charging at home. Premium connectivity fee would bug me because for MCU1 its basically worthless to just get traffic/music streaming. You need MCU2 to really benefit from that so possibly look into tethering to bypass it or pay the additional 2.5k upgrade to get MCU2

I wouldn't put too much value in the FUSC. Unless you are doing lots of roadtrips or are using the SC as your primary way to charge you probably will only save a couple hundred a year in Supercharging costs.

That's what everyone keeps saying... But sounds to final and sad that Tesla strips these beauties of their original gifts LOL!

Honestly Ludicrous is a nice to have. Insane mode is plenty fast. P85D with Ludicrous was pretty uncommon as it came out right before P90D and was like 10k upgrade. FUSC is nice if you plan on decent amount of road tripping but I'd say most of us do 95% of our charging at home. Premium connectivity fee would bug me because for MCU1 its basically worthless to just get traffic/music streaming. You need MCU2 to really benefit from that so possibly look into tethering to bypass it or pay the additional 2.5k upgrade to get MCU2

Yeah I don't think this would have the Insane mode either? Was that any faster than P90D?

You're saying I don't need the connectivity on MCU 1? BTW, ZERO chance that they put an MCU 2 when they replaced the screen and MCU right?

Sounds like you guys are nudging me to go forward?

Any thoughts on the value of the deal?

Go with the car from Tesla. The P85D is a good car and you have a newer, higher capacity battery. I have a P100DL with ludicrous and unlimited free supercharging. They are both nice to have but not used often. I think I put my car in Ludicrous + mode maybe 5 times since I purchased the car in 8/18. Charging your car at Tesla Supercharging Station is not that expensive. The P90D is plenty fast. Buy the car and drink the coolaid!

Reactions: EV-CPO and aerodyne
That's what everyone keeps saying... But sounds to final and sad that Tesla strips these beauties of their original gifts LOL!

Yeah I don't think this would have the Insane mode either? Was that any faster than P90D?

You're saying I don't need the connectivity on MCU 1? BTW, ZERO chance that they put an MCU 2 when they replaced the screen and MCU right?

Sounds like you guys are nudging me to go forward?

Any thoughts on the value of the deal?
Performance unless otherwise noted with ludicrous comes with insane mode (0-60 in 3.2). 99.9% sure you dont have MCU2 that is just currently being updated for that generation of car if you purchased full self driving.

Some things to think about:
  1. Does the 2016 have AP1 or AP2 hardware? - 8 cameras were introduced in Oct 2016
  2. Are seats 2nd or 3rd generation? Watch Tesla Model S Seats Evolve Over Time
  3. Does the 2016 have the newer front end?
  4. Does the 2016 have the center console (and collapsible rear cup holder tray)?
  5. Is the + suspension important? This were discontinued in 2015 (see https://ev-cpo.com/hunter/, they are fairly rare).
  6. Do both models have the premium sound package?
This post has a good summary of changes made between 2014-2016.

Go with the car from Tesla. The P85D is a good car and you have a newer, higher capacity battery. I have a P100DL with ludicrous and unlimited free supercharging. They are both nice to have but not used often. I think I put my car in Ludicrous + mode maybe 5 times since I purchased the car in 8/18. Charging your car at Tesla Supercharging Station is not that expensive. The P90D is plenty fast. Buy the car and drink the coolaid!

Thank you. Yes your advice on Supercharging and Ludicrous mode are consistent with the advice around here... It just makes me mad, more than anything else that Tesla gets the cars back with ability and neuters them, without even giving us an option to pay for the stuff to be turned on. What they did with taking away the Ludicrous Mode, take away the software ability from the service centers to do Ludicrous update with the necessary hardware is an outrage...

If the condition of the car is good i think $45k for a car <40k miles is a good deal.

Condition is hard to believe, that's how good it is! I mean average of 6K miles driven a year! One owner and I could not find a blemish is incredible! So maybe I did get an average to good deal? Not sure if it's a steal? Though delivery charges are taken away since a member on this board bought it earlier, shipped to my State and then backed out for personal reasons...

Performance unless otherwise noted with ludicrous comes with insane mode (0-60 in 3.2). 99.9% sure you dont have MCU2 that is just currently being updated for that generation of car if you purchased full self driving.

You are probably right about the MCU 2. Other than games, Netflix and FSD, what does MCU 2 have? On the Tesla website, it says 0 - 60 is 3 seconds. Ludicrous mode is 2.6, I believe?

Some things to think about:
  1. Does the 2016 have AP1 or AP2 hardware? - 8 cameras were introduced in Oct 2016
  2. Are seats 2nd or 3rd generation? Watch Tesla Model S Seats Evolve Over Time
  3. Does the 2016 have the newer front end?
  4. Does the 2016 have the center console (and collapsible rear cup holder tray)?
  5. Is the + suspension important? This were discontinued in 2015 (see https://ev-cpo.com/hunter/, they are fairly rare).
  6. Do both models have the premium sound package?
This post has a good summary of changes made between 2014-2016.

Thank you for the great resource!

Both have AP1
Both have older front end (I think I like this)
Both have "next Gen seats" whatever that means?
And never looked at the consoles closely...
2014 has the + Suspension, not sure if there a selling point or not?

Guys - Does anyone know of any harm from charging with the mobile charger as a primary charger? Until the current circumstance pass, not sure when I will get the SEMA 15-20 Outlet installed... That's another thing... Any benefit of using the Wall charger vs the outlet?

Thank you all!

Plus suspension with 21’s is pretty harsh. I’m debating going back to 19”s. Handles great in the turns...

don’t see any difference with using the mobile connector vs wall connector except for the max current (charging speed). They both use the DC inverter in the car. The Tesla superchargers do the inverting and provide DC (And higher currents).

Both have AP1
Both have older front end (I think I like this)
Both have "next Gen seats" whatever that means?
And never looked at the consoles closely...
2014 has the + Suspension, not sure if there a selling point or not?

The 2014 P90D w/36k miles for $42 is a good deal. The fact that it has the next gen seats (a good thing) means it is a late 2014 (edit: confirmed build date 12/14 on door sticker). Even better that it has most likely a newer revision 90kWh battery. AP1 is pretty solid especially on highways.

Guys - Does anyone know of any harm from charging with the mobile charger as a primary charger? Until the current circumstance pass, not sure when I will get the SEMA 15-20 Outlet installed... That's another thing... Any benefit of using the Wall charger vs the outlet?

No issues using the mobile charger with a 110v outlet until you get a 240v hookup.