Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered Model y for delivery in May 2022

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a model Y with a delivery date of May 2022. Before I placed the order I was assured that I could delay receiving my car until May as I will be out of town until then and have nowhere to park or store a car until then.
today December 7 I received notice that my car is ready??? I explained that I was told it would be in May 2022 and that I could not pick it up at this time. I was informed if I didn’t receive the vehicle now I would lose my deposit and the vehicle price would be several thousand dollars more if I get it in May. I have a copy of the text messages with the sales person that state I could delay possession of the car until May. I am seriously thinking of contacting the better business bureau. Not sure I want a Tesla anymore after dealing with them

I ordered a model Y with a delivery date of May 2022. Before I placed the order I was assured that I could delay receiving my car until May as I will be out of town until then and have nowhere to park or store a car until then.
today December 7 I received notice that my car is ready??? I explained that I was told it would be in May 2022 and that I could not pick it up at this time. I was informed if I didn’t receive the vehicle now I would lose my deposit and the vehicle price would be several thousand dollars more if I get it in May. I have a copy of the text messages with the sales person that state I could delay possession of the car until May. I am seriously thinking of contacting the better business bureau. Not sure I want a Tesla anymore after dealing with them
Would you consider paying the car off and then paying a storage fee for 6 months.

I’m getting nervous. I have a delivery date in June and I really want it in June. When I placed the order it was with the understanding that I would be able to postpone delivery if I wanted to. Now they have changed the rules and it potentially leaves me with bad choices. Let them cancel and end up buying at a higher price later, or take it before I’m ready and also miss out on the rebate. One might ask why I ordered before I was ready. And my response would be that when I ordered, the understanding was that I could postpone as needed. OP I hope you are able to sort it out. I’m seeing many similar complaints lately.

You seemed to have left out when you actually Ordered it. Gives a different perspective of the situation. It is noted for everyone as an “estimate” delivery date. Kind of a not to exceed estimate. Knowing you have nowhere to put it I would question why you would order it? These are custom order cars not cell phones, they can’t just put it back on the shelf till it’s convenient for you.

Reactions: cusetownusa
You seemed to have left out when you actually Ordered it. Gives a different perspective of the situation. It is noted for everyone as an “estimate” delivery date. Kind of a not to exceed estimate. Knowing you have nowhere to put it I would question why you would order it? These are custom order cars not cell phones, they can’t just put it back on the shelf till it’s convenient for you.
Well, let’s face it, isn’t really “a custom car”. I would argue there are only two cars (LR and performance). Changing the wheels or colours, isn’t really a lot of customization, specially with a handful of colours.
IMHO it is a question of demand, there are just too many people that want the car and not enough production.
If you look at the Mach-E, you will see more options there, not that I would want one.
It is what it is, I find confort in the fact I’m not alone in this boat. Hopefully in a few months we will all be happy owners!

They changed their policy recently. Tesla is no longer going to manage the backlog the way they used to allow. Can't say I blame them, TBH. I imagine it was a PITA for them to have to do that. And why should they? Even with the price increases they are still selling every one they make, so why should they let people keep cars on hold at lesser prices? It stinks but it is what it is.

Reactions: tjkenny15
I love when people throw this out there when they have a bad experience with a company. The BBB has no power whatsoever over companies and people don't pay attention to their website anymore than they do Yelp or Google Reviews.

Yea, BBB is not a gov't organization. They have no authority over shutting down businesses or revoking licenses. It's a dinosaur of Google/Yelp review. If you get a bad rating, I think you actually need to pay them to review and bring the ratings up.

Are you sure this is about being out of town or taking delivery in 2022 for tax credit? If being out of town for couple of weeks, they can always accommodate but until May is a different story. As other poster has said, you can always take the care and just park it.

I'm sure I'll piss off a lot of potential owners here with this post, but I think it's kind of funny to read about how unhappy they are with Tesla.
We all know Tesla customer service is pretty much non-existant. Their build quality is still questionable at best. Yet, demand outweighs supply by a long shot. They don't have to really cater or bend over backwards for anyone, especially when they have a 10+ months long wait list on certain models. I think Tesla is perfectly fine having people cancel their orders and go with another brand. But they know (at this point...maybe not later) that their technology is top notch despite the other shortcomings. I see it as a "take it or leave it" mentality. Until other manufacturers come to parity, I don't see that really changing.

The best is when I hear about frustrating potential owners wanting to keep deferring delivery just so they can time it perfectly with the federal rebate, and when that doesn't happen, they comment/complain about Tesla's business practices.

I'm not saying Tesla is perfect by any means (I'm been a Tesla owner for the last 2 years and had my share of frustrations with them), but come one guys, let's be realistic here......last I checked Tesla was in the business of making money by delivering cars. No one is forcing you to buy a Tesla (and trust me, I'm definitely no Tesla fanboy).

Tesla's strategy might be non-traditional and not popular, but that doesn't mean it's illegal.

Last edited: