Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered my MS Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I placed my order. I suspect a refresh will occur as well and that the car will be very different "under the hood," even if the exterior looks largely the same as it does today. Remember that the prototypes are _of course_ going to be based on the car that exists today, so just because the order page shows the same car you can buy now doesn't mean that it will actually look like that in a year or so when it's ready - they can't Osborne their current 100k car by showing that it's totally different in a year. And there's no way to get the specs they're touting with the current frame, pack geometry, pack chemistry, etc. I think the exterior is still fantastic with some small updates like fender flares, larger air intake, etc as shown on the prototypes. The interior could use a modest refresh and a little more up-market treatment (ventilated/AC seats, HUD, some additional storage, etc) but even though it hasn't changed, it's still a very modern and clean look in my opinion. I don't really miss my BMW/Mercedes/Porsche interiors much.

tl;dr: I suspect the 140k Plaid is really a pre-order for the 2021/2022 Model S refresh along with a bonkers powertrain, but even if it isn't, I'll still happily trade my Raven MSP for one.

Agree 100% i also placed a pre order. If they dont change the design by then i can always cancel so no harm. Ordered within 5 minutes :).

Reactions: aerodyne
Or "Got plaid?
Or "Plaid...there is no substitute"

I already have my license plate ready :D
upload_2020-9-23_16-8-21.png

Awesome! Glad you're getting your money's worth .. how has the interior and paint held up? Post some pics, curious. Would make a nice thread, 220K Tesla and how it has held up, what is doing good, what isn't doing so great, etc.

In Germany there's a guy (Mr. von Gemmingen) who drove > 600,000 miles with his 2014 Model S.
He is on a second battery pack because there was this "contact issue" in his series.
The replacement was of same age and size, therefor he could be seen as "on the first battery".
Actually he is planning to get to 1,000,000 miles within 3-4 more years.

My 2015 Model S 85 just passed 110,000 miles and I see no reason to replace it.
I do not worry about 1-2 seconds on 0-60 mph, what worries more is the range dependency on circumstances.

I can handle daily driving easily because of charging at home.
But 2-3 times a month I need to go 400-500 miles in one rush.
In summer this is quite good to handle.

But in a winters night at -10°C this get's a pain in the ass: 3 charging stops, each 30-40 minutes.
Average speed drops down to 50-60 mph in the end, which makes it a 8-10 hours trip.
Now with reduced charging speed (->85 battery) this is even less funny.

What I would like to have is a range of 300 miles at any temperature (-20 C to +40 C) and at 80 mph
highway speed. Plus a recharge for the next 300 miles within 30-40 minutes.

If one of the newer Teslas is able to deliver that I might consider a change, otherwise not.

• Informative
Reactions: SO16
I don’t trust Tesla won’t overcommit on these new battery packs in both range and performance, only to gimp them hard later.

This gimping of packs should have a name. I propose it be called “85ing”.
They didn't gimp the P85D, they just "clarified" later that only the motors are capable of the advertised performance, the rest of the drive-train (battery, electronics, even fuses were set to blow way below the advertised power levels) was not, meaning a production P85D came pre-gimped by design - an Elon marketing trick. I bet you the plaid model has 1,100hp capable accelerator pedal, the rest of the car, who knows.

Last edited:
They didn't gimp the P85D, they just "clarified" later that only the motors are capable of the advertised performance, the rest of the drive-train (battery, electronics, even fuses were set to blow way below the advertised power levels) was not, meaning a production P85D came pre-gimped by design - an Elon marketing trick. I bet you the plaid model has 1,100hp capable accelerator pedal, the rest of the car, who knows.
There are some P85Ds that have had their packs gimped.
The 691 was a lie, plain and simple. Not sure how Tesla weaseled out of that one.

You think the model s will last you 20+ years? Either you’re joking or planning on dying before you hit retirement age.

Here's how I developed my logic and my Tesla initiation story in short:

I'm on my "life" ownership 43rd car, #41 and #42 being the Model S and a Model 3 (wife). After first riding in my friend's 2013 Model S in 2019, I was impressed how that '13 S hosted his maniac driving around NYC (I learned after he only had his licensed for 3 years prior). I vowed to never buy a gas car again but #43 is a S-Coupe that I was able to own which for years (even before my Tesla exposure) was the #1 car on my desired list.

My previous "favorite car of all time" was a 2010 S Class, I mean, this thing was at 100K miles and though the yearly maintenance started to hurt by 2019, it drove like a new car and still better than a new 2017 E-Class for my wife. I have a list of other vehicles owned along with that 2010 S Class but nothing could ever come close to it for my tastes..

That's until I rode in that '13 MS... So I went to a Tesla store 1 1/2 hours away that had only 2 Model S available and I purchased one of them. That 2 hour drive home (during rush hour) was the best driving experience I ever had.. before then, the most solid driving experience I had was from PA to Atlanta in the '10 S Class... and second was a 2015 X5m from PA to SC.

My first actual Model S driving experience was when I purchased mine and when I arrived home, the next day, I sold my 2010 S Class, 2018 GLS, and 2017 E-Class and picked up a Model 3 for the wife a few days later.

The Tesla value proposition for me is the car I bought in 2019 is like 500% better today just from the updates since.. dude, wife got me carting her around with chores and tasks, (4) kids spread out doing 1-hour here event and 2-hours there pickup and drop offs.. to be able to just sit back and watch streaming vids.. listen to my music and now they're adding Tidal...

Not to go on too much but heck yes, a 520+ mile Tesla Model S will be my last car...

Out of warranty parts like a new battery pack, MCU, electronic engines? I'll pay.. ANYTHING is better than the threat of a long-term car engine dying.. I know people who have maintained 20 year old cars well.

As for my friend with his '13, he had to get the sunroof repaired, other issues that was present on those cars.. the bill for them to get everything fixed was around $1600.. I can live with that.. the last yearly maintenance bill for my 2015 S-Coupe with under 32,000 miles was $3200. BTW, my buddy's wife refuse to spend money on another car.. they live in a mini mansion in NJ, he sold a Lambo he had because with the Tesla, the bill to keep it just didn't make sense. Life+kids+college = Practical car wins.

When I get my hands on a 520+ mile Model S, I personally don't need more miles than that and to me it would be just as prestigious 20 years from now as a Ferrari 456m or one of those OG 90's 911s are today. Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: SO16 and henderrj
I think lower than 9.8, but their claim of <9 is nuts. In the 9s, sure, but in the 8s? That's ludicrous for a street car. One might even say plaid... I wonder if they really meant less than 9.0 or if it was a marketing flub.

I agree, but it's plain as day on the ordering page - "Quarter Mile: < 9.0s"

The math doesn't add up. A 4500 pound car cracking the 8s implies like ~1200 WHEEL horsepower.

I agree, but it's plain as day on the ordering page - "Quarter Mile: < 9.0s"

The math doesn't add up. A 4500 pound car cracking the 8s implies like ~1200 WHEEL horsepower.

Good point - I didn't notice the extra significant digits before I ordered :D

I was surprised by the ">1100HP" part given the other specs. I'm guessing the motors are good for 1800+ all told, but the battery output will be the key and I figured 1200 or so.

Depending on how late "Late 2021" is (or how early in 2022 :rolleyes:), I'll be taking mine directly to the track after pickup if my track hasn't closed for the winter, so we'll see :)

Last edited:
Traction > HP

Power is of little use when it can’t be applied effectively.

True, but I can already pull a 1.45 60' with an MSP on stock tires (and groceries in the frunk!). The traction is there to get out of the hole, but the top end is lacking. If Plaid can keep pounding it out, low 9s or high 8s is definitely there. It's just a matter of not running out of gear or torque. It's just tough to reconcile all the stats with what we know about the frame, weight, and motors. That's why I think they have more in mind for getting there than the pre-order pages reveal.

Here's how I developed my logic and my Tesla initiation story in short:

I'm on my "life" ownership 43rd car, #41 and #42 being the Model S and a Model 3 (wife). After first riding in my friend's 2013 Model S in 2019, I was impressed how that '13 S hosted his maniac driving around NYC (I learned after he only had his licensed for 3 years prior). I vowed to never buy a gas car again but #43 is a S-Coupe that I was able to own which for years (even before my Tesla exposure) was the #1 car on my desired list.

My previous "favorite car of all time" was a 2010 S Class, I mean, this thing was at 100K miles and though the yearly maintenance started to hurt by 2019, it drove like a new car and still better than a new 2017 E-Class for my wife. I have a list of other vehicles owned along with that 2010 S Class but nothing could ever come close to it for my tastes..

That's until I rode in that '13 MS... So I went to a Tesla store 1 1/2 hours away that had only 2 Model S available and I purchased one of them. That 2 hour drive home (during rush hour) was the best driving experience I ever had.. before then, the most solid driving experience I had was from PA to Atlanta in the '10 S Class... and second was a 2015 X5m from PA to SC.

My first actual Model S driving experience was when I purchased mine and when I arrived home, the next day, I sold my 2010 S Class, 2018 GLS, and 2017 E-Class and picked up a Model 3 for the wife a few days later.

The Tesla value proposition for me is the car I bought in 2019 is like 500% better today just from the updates since.. dude, wife got me carting her around with chores and tasks, (4) kids spread out doing 1-hour here event and 2-hours there pickup and drop offs.. to be able to just sit back and watch streaming vids.. listen to my music and now they're adding Tidal...

Not to go on too much but heck yes, a 520+ mile Tesla Model S will be my last car...

Out of warranty parts like a new battery pack, MCU, electronic engines? I'll pay.. ANYTHING is better than the threat of a long-term car engine dying.. I know people who have maintained 20 year old cars well.

As for my friend with his '13, he had to get the sunroof repaired, other issues that was present on those cars.. the bill for them to get everything fixed was around $1600.. I can live with that.. the last yearly maintenance bill for my 2015 S-Coupe with under 32,000 miles was $3200. BTW, my buddy's wife refuse to spend money on another car.. they live in a mini mansion in NJ, he sold a Lambo he had because with the Tesla, the bill to keep it just didn't make sense. Life+kids+college = Practical car wins.

When I get my hands on a 520+ mile Model S, I personally don't need more miles than that and to me it would be just as prestigious 20 years from now as a Ferrari 456m or one of those OG 90's 911s are today. Thanks.
There is nothing short about this post. :)

also fun fact, my 08 BMW M5 which has a V10 engine had its motor replaced for 8k (used) Much less than what a Tesla battery pack sells for.

Curious, what makes it unusable?
Re the question 'what makes a 2017 MCU1 unusable', well where do we start?

Spotify 50% of the time just gives the spinning wheel of 'doing something but not really doing anything'.
Regular USB loading errors when you give up on Spotify and resort to USB instead.
Using the nav is painful, 2 to 3 second delays with every letter entered in for the street names etc.
Volume control for radio has a 2 - 5 second response delay.
Weekly two finger reboots required to keep it operational.
Pretty much any function in the menus you navigate to feels like you are using a 386 with 128Mb of RAM trying to run Windows 10, glitchy and underpowered.

This started happening when they were just a few years old, so how hideous will they be in 20 years time?
Mine wouldn't last 20 years, I'll have put my fist through it by then.

Re the question 'what makes a 2017 MCU1 unusable', well where do we start?

Spotify 50% of the time just gives the spinning wheel of 'doing something but not really doing anything'.
Regular USB loading errors when you give up on Spotify and resort to USB instead.
Using the nav is painful, 2 to 3 second delays with every letter entered in for the street names etc.
Volume control for radio has a 2 - 5 second response delay.
Weekly two finger reboots required to keep it operational.
Pretty much any function in the menus you navigate to feels like you are using a 386 with 128Mb of RAM trying to run Windows 10, glitchy and underpowered.

This started happening when they were just a few years old, so how hideous will they be in 20 years time?
Mine wouldn't last 20 years, I'll have put my fist through it by then.
Thanks for typing that so I didnt have too! I’ll add browser doesnt work, rear cam is slow to load, and forget about using voice commands.

Also of note is that back in 2014 the software on MCU1 did pretty much everything it does now and was incredibly fast and responsive. Its not a lack of hardware power its just lazy devs who dont give a *sugar* about older customers.

Reactions: Hank42 and P100D_Me