Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered my MS Plaid

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks...it seems like it took f o r e v e r to find the order page, but I got my email at 3:57 PM Tuesday, RN113951xxx.

About a 500 orders a minute, seems like plaid is going to be the new black...
Do you know for sure these reservation numbers are exclusive to plaid versions of the model S. Isn’t it quite possible that this includes all orders for all Teslas?

• Disagree
Reactions: BM3B and BigNick
Do we all think the plaid is real?
Tesla says they have tested it at the ring, did anyone saw that? Each time they tested it in the past there were sightings, were there any reports? I surly hope it is real but the end of 2021 and thin on details made me think if those specs are aspirational and they are going to use this time to figure out how to get there. I hope it can come.
Ok it is real...
Watch Tesla's new Model S tri-motor Plaid prototype run lap faster than McLaren P1 - Electrek

Amazing how spoiled we all are. The fact that current Ludicrous + (nevermind Plaid) is already faster than THIS car 0-60...is still incredible.

I get that no one is cross shopping one of those to a Tesla. Not even a Roadster when availabile. And also, it will be rare that a Model S P owner with close to a full charge ever pulls up to a stoplight with an empty road in front of them against any Lambo, much less one costing three million.

However, if it did happen..my oh my..the embarassment. LOL

Amazing how spoiled we all are. The fact that current Ludicrous + (nevermind Plaid) is already faster than THIS car 0-60...is still incredible.

I get that no one is cross shopping one of those to a Tesla. Not even a Roadster when availabile. And also, it will be rare that a Model S P owner with close to a full charge ever pulls up to a stoplight with an empty road in front of them against any Lambo, much less one costing three million.

And if it did happen, and you filmed it, think of the YT views...

Reactions: 2101Guy
Why would I want to spend $140K on a car that is 0.3+ secs faster when its already crazy fast, looks exactly the same, as same quality/interior/exterior, tri-motor (when its a sedan and dual is fine), but yes can go 100+ miles more in range (but for most, 99% of the time you never worry about range)?

Wished they would have focused on some other big exterior/interior and quality updates IMHO.
I ordered it literally 30 seconds after Elon said “available for pre-order now”...30 sec and order button was pressed. Hope I get one of the first. I also hope it has a revised interior/exterior/aero something cool and different.
We in Europe did not have that plaid button available than only early morning meaning many ordered the one sooner than me,
It is worth the wait but wonder whether the car will be really modeled alike the present MS, the batteries are more than an inch higher, the MS being so low already must at least get a same clearance....
Personally I think there will be changes as when I ordered my end 2015 model soon after the cone disappeared....Without notice!

I wouldn't have put down a deposit if I thought there was a chance that the plaid would have the same interior and exterior as today's S. Elon spoke of a different, stiffer stressed skin kind of skateboard design where the new form-factor batteries were going to act as a structural component. That's clearly different enough from today's car that the body and interior would need to be structurally redesigned. It would be very strange if that redesign involved exactly duplicating the aged styling of the current car. But unless the new design is ready to ship they would kill current sales. Yes, they showed off the design of the 3, Y, Cybertruck and new roadster long before they were ready to ship, but those were all new cars that had no current sales for a new model to impact. For the S they are using the current design as a placeholder. The picture on the order page doesn't even have the larger spoiler, front air dam or other aero that all the plaid test mules have had, and that the new plaid S would need. So the fact that the car on the order page looks no different doesn't say anything about the way the car that actually ships in a year will look.

What they want to avoid is lifting the curtain on the new MS as it is far away, the redesign will have to be able to store the new batteries, a too soon show of their plans kills sales of present MS sales.
But, I really hope this delivery is not going to be an issue as the popularity of this plaid was again underestimated....
Know I also bought it for the extended range beside the improved acceleration, my P85 and P90D were occasionally not giving me enough range.

• Funny
Reactions: Jswyft
I am considering goaling for a Model S Plaid to replace what has been a good sample of the 2017 Model S 100D. My only issues have been yellow banding and those associated with not having the current MCU. 500 miles would mean 400 to me due to driving preferences, charging recommendations, et cetera and that is of value to me.

When a Tesla Model S Plaid finally ships, will there be any perks for those who pre-ordered besides potentially locking the price in or "bragging rights"?

e.g. Signature, free unlimited supercharging for first owner, free premium wireless for first owner, et cetera

Cheers

I am considering goaling for a Model S Plaid to replace what has been a good sample of the 2017 Model S 100D. My only issues have been yellow banding and those associated with not having the current MCU. 500 miles would mean 400 to me due to driving preferences, charging recommendations, et cetera and that is of value to me.

When a Tesla Model S Plaid finally ships, will there be any perks for those who pre-ordered besides potentially locking the price in or "bragging rights"?

e.g. Signature, free unlimited supercharging for first owner, free premium wireless for first owner, et cetera

Cheers
As far as I know, nothing has been promised.

One thing I expect is that the option list will be different when the design details are fully revealed, so that regardless of what we choose now while placing a deposit, we will have the opportunity to make adjustments. The reason is that the current S and its options were used as a placeholder in the reservation system, and I am a believer that with the Model S re-design that goes with 4680 batteries, a new skateboard, three motors, aero needed for the track, and possibly a new interior and some exterior changes, there will be some additional or different options.

Cheers
It’s really hard to see what the upside will be but the downside is very low a refundable $1000 deposit.. So what you’re losing is the 0% interest it might be collecting over the next year or so

Last edited:

For 3 million bucks you'd think it would come with air in its tires!

Cheers

Wonder at what moment Tesla will use their famous bait-and-switch tactic on the Plaid preorders, and what substitutes will they offer?

• Disagree
Reactions: Trunk Gap