Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered on 3/17/2019, assigned a 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks,

Just ordered this configuration a few days ago: Model 3 LR AWD with White interior (no other upgrades or extras)

Accepted (what I thought were pricing terms, not a specific car) same day as ordered and paid in full today. The delivery is scheduled for 2 days from now.

After sending the payment, I look at the purchase agreement and it's a 2018 with 50 miles on it. VIN number ends with (approximately) 134500, if that says anything.

I'm not sure what the best course of action is at this point. I'm somewhat concerned about the resale value (being a 2018 and not a 2019) and that the car may have been sitting somewhere (especially if it's outside) for a few months or perhaps rejected by someone in the past. What could be going on? Does 50 miles seem normal?

I'm fine with waiting for a 2019 (as long as it's delivered before the 3750 tax credit expires), but do I still have that option now that I've sent them the payment in full?

What would you suggest? Thanks in advance!

How can you find out whether it's a 2018 or a 2019 model?
I have looked at all the documents that I have gotten up to now (scheduled delivery tomorrow, European Model 3, ordered Dec 22, 2018) and nowhere does it state the year it was made, let alone how many miles it has done up to now. I have of course got a VIN, but how can I determine from that when the car was made or how much it has been driven?

Just for comparison, my e-Golf had less than two miles on the clock at delivery. 50 miles to me would certainly seem a lot. Then again, European cars might have a few more miles on the clock than usual, as I guess they would have been driven quite a bit in order to get to and from the various transport hubs.

How can you find out whether it's a 2018 or a 2019 model?
I have looked at all the documents that I have gotten up to now (scheduled delivery tomorrow, European Model 3, ordered Dec 22, 2018) and nowhere does it state the year it was made, let alone how many miles it has done up to now. I have of course got a VIN, but how can I determine from that when the car was made?
Under "Documents" on the page for your order, there's a link for "Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement". The first 2 pages will contain the year and the odometer.

10th character of the VIN will also give you the year: https://support.alldata.com/images/stories/userdocs/Tech-Toolbox/Year-to-VIN-chart.png

• Informative
Reactions: AustinPowers
Hey folks,

Just ordered this configuration a few days ago: Model 3 LR AWD with White interior (no other upgrades or extras)

Accepted (what I thought were pricing terms, not a specific car) same day as ordered and paid in full today. The delivery is scheduled for 2 days from now.

After sending the payment, I look at the purchase agreement and it's a 2018 with 50 miles on it. VIN number ends with (approximately) 134500, if that says anything.

I'm not sure what the best course of action is at this point. I'm somewhat concerned about the resale value (being a 2018 and not a 2019) and that the car may have been sitting somewhere (especially if it's outside) for a few months or perhaps rejected by someone in the past. What could be going on? Does 50 miles seem normal?

I'm fine with waiting for a 2019 (as long as it's delivered before the 3750 tax credit expires), but do I still have that option now that I've sent them the payment in full?

What would you suggest? Thanks in advance!
This has happened to many of us and it's your decision. I found the 2018 built on my loan application and immediately rejected the car or get some kind of credit. No budging on the credit. Many here have gotten credits, it depends on the salesperson. Now I've been waiting over a week for a new VIN. From what I gathered in these forums is the white interior is holding up many people. I would ask for a credit that would satisfy your value.

Reactions: Gpa9504
I would just tell them you want a 2019 vehicle and you will wait until they find you one. If they come back and offer you a discount then you can consider it but I wouldn’t bring it up. If you do they may get defensive and say no. If you just say no thanks to the 2018 VIN they seem to be more receptive to negotiating.

Reactions: Gpa9504
Under "Documents" on the page for your order, there's a link for "Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement". The first 2 pages will contain the year and the odometer.

10th character of the VIN will also give you the year: https://support.alldata.com/images/stories/userdocs/Tech-Toolbox/Year-to-VIN-chart.png

Interesting. No such thing as a "Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement" over here. Probably something only required in the US.

I have got three documents, one is the invoice for the down payment + reservation fee, one is the final invoice, and the last one is a document about rules regarding "non-core/grey market" vehicles, whyever that should concern me.

None of the aforementioned documents offer any indication on what the odometer shows.

Then again, the 10th character of my VIN is the letter K, so at least I now know that it is a 2019 build.

Thanks, guys. If I insist to wait for a new build, is my pricing locked in or may they adjust it to the prices that are supposedly going up after today?

Time is on my side since I wasn't expecting to get one for weeks. My biggest concern, honestly, is that I now know that numerous people have been getting discounts of 3300-4000 simply for taking a Dec 2018 and I feel slightly ripped off unless a similar deal is extended to me. I'm only human, and studies on monkeys have shown the same behavior regarding perception of fairness :)

My VIN number is also 134xxx, which seems quite early, isn't it? None of the recent deliveries seem to be that old. The car may have been waiting for an owner for quite a while and may have been rejected before, if I understand correctly.

Regarding the 2018 vs 2019 issue: I was initially assigned a 2018 VIN and rejected it. The 2018 in question was a gray car produced in December. I rejected it because, when I am finished with a car, I sell it outright. I ALWAYS get substantially more money that way than trading in. (Example: last month, I sold my 2012 BMW convertible for $20,250 to a buyer here in Southern California. I had been offered figures ranging from $13,500 to $16,200 by dealers (not Tesla - I was initially shopping for other cars before the Model 3 price drop) Anyway, when I enter the resale market with this Model 3 in a few years, I can GUARANTEE YOU that a 2019 model will go for more than the same car which is designated a 2018 model. A model year in the resale market is usually about a $2,500 - $3,500 difference in price. If Tesla wanted to knock something close to that off the price of a 2018, I'd be fine with it. However, given the implications in the inevitable resale scenario, I can't see paying the same price for a 2018 and 2019 model. For that reason, I held firm on my 2019 request.

Hm.. they are offering a good discount for it being an inventory car. Only problems now are:

1. The discount is "in the system" and communicated to me over the phone, but why is it not in my purchase agreement? Waiting for a manager to reach out to me about this.

2. They won't fix cosmetic issues (anything not under warranty) if it's an inventory car, so I will have to inspect it well upon delivery. Anything I should be extra careful about?

The car is a Dec 2018 build. 20 miles. If it passes my inspection upon delivery, I'm happy.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Interesting. No such thing as a "Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement" over here. Probably something only required in the US.

I have got three documents, one is the invoice for the down payment + reservation fee, one is the final invoice, and the last one is a document about rules regarding "non-core/grey market" vehicles, whyever that should concern me.

None of the aforementioned documents offer any indication on what the odometer shows.

Then again, the 10th character of my VIN is the letter K, so at least I now know that it is a 2019 build.

In Europe cars are valued by first registration date. so if car was built in 2018, but first registration was in 2019 then used car will be valued as from year 2019. In US it seems to be different that's why some are not happy, on the other hand I heard that other automakers in US just name 2018 built cars 2019 models and that's it. So maybe also in US end of 2018 built Tesla will be also valued as 2019.

I called the store in Highland Park yesterday. They sales guy told me they are discounting all 2018s but the only one he could find me was an AWD version which I don't want. Discount was around $4,000 on that car, taking it down to the price of the RWD. Regardless, I don't want the range penalty of AWD.

I called the store in Highland Park yesterday. They sales guy told me they are discounting all 2018s but the only one he could find me was an AWD version which I don't want. Discount was around $4,000 on that car, taking it down to the price of the RWD. Regardless, I don't want the range penalty of AWD.
IMO The range penalty is so small you won’t notice it. Also looks like you’re in WI and I’m sure AWD is useful there.

I need to be able to drive from Richfield to the Aon Center in Chicago and back. That's cutting it real close in the winter. For the 5 days a year I need AWD I don't think it's worth the loss in mileage. I've had an AWD Audi and lost about 1mpg.

I always thought that due to higher regen potential, AWD cars had slightly better range than RWD, not the other way round?

The S&X got better range with AWD because the front/rear induction motors are geared differently and are inefficient compared to the rear PMSR motor in the Model 3. In the Model 3 the added weight and drag of the front motor induction motor being spun when it isn't needed actually reduces range.

• Informative