Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordering California Personalized Plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I went directly to the "Special Interest License Plate Ordering System" on dmv.ca.gov and was able to go through the entire ordering process - configured / selected an available personalized plate, submitted payment info and received order / payment confirmation receipt email. Not sure if this is a "soft opening", but if the CA DMV was REALLY not taking personalized plate orders, why have the entire ordering process and payment system functioning? Appreciate any insights from those who recently tried to order personalized plates. Thanks!

I went to Santa Ana DMV some time ago complaining about the fact that they threw my custom plate away, despite assurances they wouldn't. I had ordered it in Feb, then they closed and stopped taking appointments, I showed up and they wouldn't let me in that day, and next time, plate was gone.
While there, they told me that the ordering system would reopen and all new plates would be shipped to your home, instead of having to pick up at DMV. I guess maybe that's the reopening. When I was at DMV that day, they confirmed the ordering system was down and when I tried at home, same thing.

Is anyone able to order plates over the last week or so? For whatever reason I go through the entire process online but there is no final way to complete the payment ... looked high and low for the payment button, nothing ... ARGH

Is anyone able to order plates over the last week or so? For whatever reason I go through the entire process online but there is no final way to complete the payment ... looked high and low for the payment button, nothing ... ARGH
I tried going on the DMV site and went all of the way to the checkout page then clicked on 'Add to Cart' and an error message came up and said it was removed due to DMV restrictions -- then I found a DMV site stating that the personalized plates are currently suspended due to pandemic...errrrgh! Any other way to get specialty plates?

I am having a similar problem -- all the way through the payment flow then when the payment gets into processing it just removes the item from my cart.