Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordering Qs: Registration name? Separate accounts?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(Did search; didn't find anything on-point; thanks.)

Both of my 3 reservations got released for ordering (plan is to get one ASAP; wait on one. (3/31 online, non-owner.)) Figured out choices (Blue, 18", EAP) and started the order process.

Registration: The "Delivery Intent" step is asking for the registration address, but is not giving me a chance to set the registration name to my wife's. Will I get a chance to do this later, or do I need to get this straightened out now?

Account: Is it better to have each of us have a separate Tesla account, with cross privileges on the car(s) ("VIN sharing"?), or to keep them on my account, or to create a shared account*? What capabilities does the VIN sharing recipient not have? If switching it to her account is the best answer, will that delay the order process if I try to do it now, or during the order-to-delivery phase, or should I just wait until post-delivery?

(*ITSec approach here: I'm the admin, she's a poweruser; we don't make a habit of signing in as each other anywhere, but have a *very* few joint/shared accounts where the emails go to both of us, etc.)

Thanks, folks.

Have you placed the order? When I ordered in February, you entered the registered owner’s information (name, address, insurance info, delivery zip code, etc.) after you ordered the car. Not sure if this is different or not now based on what you described.

(Did search; didn't find anything on-point; thanks.)

Both of my 3 reservations got released for ordering (plan is to get one ASAP; wait on one. (3/31 online, non-owner.)) Figured out choices (Blue, 18", EAP) and started the order process.

Registration: The "Delivery Intent" step is asking for the registration address, but is not giving me a chance to set the registration name to my wife's. Will I get a chance to do this later, or do I need to get this straightened out now?

Account: Is it better to have each of us have a separate Tesla account, with cross privileges on the car(s) ("VIN sharing"?), or to keep them on my account, or to create a shared account*? What capabilities does the VIN sharing recipient not have? If switching it to her account is the best answer, will that delay the order process if I try to do it now, or during the order-to-delivery phase, or should I just wait until post-delivery?

(*ITSec approach here: I'm the admin, she's a poweruser; we don't make a habit of signing in as each other anywhere, but have a *very* few joint/shared accounts where the emails go to both of us, etc.)

Thanks, folks.

Have you placed the order? When I ordered in February, you entered the registered owner’s information (name, address, insurance info, delivery zip code, etc.) after you ordered the car. Not sure if this is different or not now based on what you described.

Not completely. I'm at a step after configuring but before completion:
2018-03-26 08_30_15-delivery-details-h.png

Okay, answering my own first question: a subsequently available setting allows you to set the registration person (or two people, or corporation, or trust, though it doesn't offer the chance to change the address.

Still have my questions about Tesla accounts.

For the model 3 I don't know I they have vin sharing setup yet. IMHO you should just both login to the same account for now on your two phone... if it causes issues after the fact then you can ask Tesla to transfer her model 3 to a new tesla account, I've read people who said they did it. If its really your wife I think it would be better to both login to the same account on two phones. Try it, if you have issues after you get deliver you can email Tesla they will transfer her car to a new account if you want.