Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oregon - license plate transfer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone in Oregon recently taken delivery from Tesla and transferred license plates from a previous car?

A few months back, I read somewhere (can’t find where I originally fount it) that Tesla doesn’t handle this anymore. I remember reading something along the lines of needing to apply for new registration with full fees at delivery and then working with DMV directly to transfer plates and ask for refund of original registration (which doesn’t seem likely).

I’m hoping this can easily be done without paying the full registration fee for new plates and dealing with the transfer afterwards.

Yeah, I just had a text conversation today with the adviser and found out they don’t do plate transfers, unless you’re trading in the car to them with the plates that are being transferred. I bought 2 previous Tesla‘s where I traded in to them with plate transfers and didn’t realize that‘s the only scenario where they’d do this.

Do you see on your Tesla invoice how much the registration fee was? Seems like such a waste to have to pay for full registration, especially with the higher cost for EV’s when I don’t have a use for the new plates. I have Pacific Wonderland plates that I’ll want to use.

I was able to do this in Portland back in 2019 with my Model 3, but I was also trading in my car to Tesla. It was only a $99 fee.

I'm hoping to do this for our Model Y on order (planning to sell our current car to Carvana), but sounds like we may be SOL unless we trade it in to Tesla?

Yeah, I just had a text conversation today with the adviser and found out they don’t do plate transfers, unless you’re trading in the car to them with the plates that are being transferred. I bought 2 previous Tesla‘s where I traded in to them with plate transfers and didn’t realize that‘s the only scenario where they’d do this.

Do you see on your Tesla invoice how much the registration fee was? Seems like such a waste to have to pay for full registration, especially with the higher cost for EV’s when I don’t have a use for the new plates. I have Pacific Wonderland plates that I’ll want to use.
It was pushing $1k for 4 year registration in multnomah county. it was really frustrating having to spend the money AND go to the DMV again because they wouldn't couldn't fill out the form. If i hadn't had a second car that needed a renewal anyway, it would have cost a lot more money as well.

I was able to do this in Portland back in 2019 with my Model 3, but I was also trading in my car to Tesla. It was only a $99 fee.

I'm hoping to do this for our Model Y on order (planning to sell our current car to Carvana), but sounds like we may be SOL unless we trade it in to Tesla?
I believe so. The oregon DMV only charges 5 bucks for a plate transfer which was what was listed as an option when i filled out my profile but they called me and were like, ya, we don't do that anymore.

Really wish Tesla would have been willing to do a transfer but ended up leaving the plates on my previous car when I sold it.

Anyone following know the process to change to a non-standard license plate?

Tesla wouldn’t even allow the option to select any other plate than the standard one but I’m planning to change to the Pacific Wonderland plates.

Really wish Tesla would have been willing to do a transfer but ended up leaving the plates on my previous car when I sold it.

Anyone following know the process to change to a non-standard license plate?

Tesla wouldn’t even allow the option to select any other plate than the standard one but I’m planning to change to the Pacific Wonderland plates.
once you get your permanent registration you can go onto the dmv site and request a plate change. https://dmv2u.oregon.gov/eServices/

Reactions: DesertSilver
I'm sorry to dig up a relatively old thread but I'm getting my Model Y delivered this Sunday in Portland.
I would like to reuse my old plates for a previous car that I sold (the older style "Cultural Trust" plates). Note that stickers on old plates are expired, if that is pertinent.

Since Tesla will not facilitate plate transfers and will just submit for a new registration and new plates, I will need to submit a plate transfer request to the DMV.
Two questions I'm hoping someone could help with:
1) When should I submit the plate transfer request to the DMV? (after the new plates have arrived or sometime before?)
2) How will I know when the plate transfer is approved?
3) Should I save the Month/Year stickers from the new plates to stick on the old plates once the plate transfer is approved? Or will the DMV provide new stickers as part of the plate transfer request?

Thanks!!

1) after your plates arrive AND you get your permanent registration (ie not the paper that comes at the same time as the plates).

2) go to the dmv in person and they can do it right then, otherwise it would be whenever you get a new registration after submitting your request.

3) how expired are the existing tabs? They have to be less than a year expired in order to transfer without doing some plate research (additional fee). Either way the new stickers match the new plate and you’ll have to pay for a new registration on your expired plates. If you don’t have a new vehicle to transfer the plate from Tesla it’s going to cost you close to $1,000 as you’re essentially throwing away that registration you just paid via Tesla. I just transferred the new Tesla plates to another car, luckily for me I had some expiring soon on that vehicle. If you meet this scenario you’re better off getting new CT plates from the dmv and they just charge a plate replacement fee. New style and the plate number won’t match but you’re saving a grip of cash.

If this is starting to sound like it’s not worth it…you’re probably right.

Thank you so much for information, it sure sounds like it's not worth it!

I misread my old plate's stickers, it expires Aug'22 (I thought it was Aug'21). So they're still good for another 7 months.
Does that change what I can do?

If not, I will just go to the DMV to buy new plates with a different background after the default plates are shipped to me. I assume Tesla isn't even going to help me fill out an application for a different plate background as part of the initial title/registration process?

Reactions: izzelsizzel
Thank you so much for information, it sure sounds like it's not worth it!

I misread my old plate's stickers, it expires Aug'22 (I thought it was Aug'21). So they're still good for another 7 months.
Does that change what I can do?

If not, I will just go to the DMV to buy new plates with a different background after the default plates are shipped to me. I assume Tesla isn't even going to help me fill out an application for a different plate background as part of the initial title/registration process?

Unless you’re trading in a car to Tesla and want to transfer the plates off your previous car, frustratingly, they will do nothing other than register your new car with the standard tree plates, even though it‘s not much more work to submit registration for a non-standard plate. You can’t order a different plate until you get your standard plate and registration. I‘m going through this now where I had to wait about 5 weeks, then ordered a different plate and waiting to get those delivered. First world problem…

But in your situation, bottom line is that, unless you use the newly registered plate/stickers, you lose that money (~$1k). Since your current stickers are still valid, that has value also, so this will be a decision only you can make. :)

I am just confused by the premise of this thread. Why would someone request new license plates they are not going to use if they are planning to assign existing plates they already have?

Wouldn't you just buy the car with the 30 day temp tag and no plate, and then just go to the DMV and activate the license plates you have? Ordering new plates you're not going to use just seems like a waste of everyone's time, money, and resources.

Just tell Tesla to not send a request for new plates.

Is there some Oregon-specific bureaucratic nonsense law that won't let that happen in the sensible way?

Wouldn't you just buy the car with the 30 day temp tag and no plate, and then just go to the DMV and activate the license plates you have? Ordering new plates you're not going to use just seems like a waste of everyone's time, money, and resources.
I don't think Tesla gives you a choice. If you have a loan I'm sure Tesla has to perform the registration to ensure that the lender gets properly listed as holding an interest. If you pay outright you should be able to get the "Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin" and a trip permit and then handle the registration yourself.

I am just confused by the premise of this thread. Why would someone request new license plates they are not going to use if they are planning to assign existing plates they already have?

Just tell Tesla to not send a request for new plates.

Is there some Oregon-specific bureaucratic nonsense law that won't let that happen in the sensible way?

Not sure if’s just an Oregon thing, but the key issue is that Tesla is adamant on having a single process for new registrations. I’m guessing it’s just as easy, if not easier, to transfer existing registration to new vehicle so I can’t see them going with the option of a temp tag.

Not sure if’s just an Oregon thing, but the key issue is that Tesla is adamant on having a single process for new registrations. I’m guessing it’s just as easy, if not easier, to transfer existing registration to new vehicle so I can’t see them going with the option of a temp tag.
I'd bring my own temp tag if that works. They wouldn't need to do anything but hand me the COO.