Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OT posts from Q3 collection and delivery experiences [closing soon]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First proper ‘sunny’ day - not warm though - and I noticed some mental swirls in the paint. scary and worrying.

any suggestions for a DIY method to remove swirls from black paint that’s not going to cost the earth?

thanks!
You'll get a lot of opinions on this, and it really warrants a new thread, but in my opinion, correcting large areas you will want a DA polisher to get them out, and you don't really want to be learning with one on a new car (especially something with curves like a 3) and they aren't cheap either. You can get some good correction products like Farecla G3 which I've used myself (by hand) to correct small areas with swirls, but if you are describing them as "mental" I think you are beyond that point and need to seek the help of a professional. Budget approx £600-1000 for a correction detail.

I collected my car yesterday everything perfect. I got home and plugged in to my wall socket which is only live between 00:00 and 5:00 - this morning the charge level is 2% lower than when I got home.
what do I have to set in the car to get it to charge when the wall box goes live?
I tried schedule finish at 5:00 but no extra charge this morning.
my wife’s leaf is easy just plug in and next day it has charged overnight.
Not sure what charger you have installed. Most of the time if you set up scheduling in the charger and also in the car it does not charge. So you have to cancel all the scheduling in the car and test tonight. The other thing is some chargers scheduling works only if you set it up for everyday even though you do not want to charge daily - podpoint scheduling works only if you schedule every day of the week.

First proper ‘sunny’ day - not warm though - and I noticed some mental swirls in the paint. scary and worrying.

any suggestions for a DIY method to remove swirls from black paint that’s not going to cost the earth?

thanks!
If it is just superficial swirls from poor washing before delivery and you're not confident doing yourself, you could do what I have and book in a professional polish and wash which I've been quoted £60/70 for

thanks!
You will always be fighting an uphill battle keeping non-metallic black swirl free, unless you get it PPF’d or professionally applied ceramic coating such as Gtechniq Crystal Serum (after a full paint correction of course).

thanks!
My blue LR came with loads of swirls. Don't pay silly money to get it fixed. My local detailer quoted £250 for polish and sealant.

I collected on 4/9 and mine updated this morning from the same build as yours to 2021.32.21

Seems like been a push this morning, collected last Friday with 2021.3.107 and received app notification to enable WiFi and download 2021.32.31 .

I don't have WiFi connection while parked, just used my mobile as hotspot. Took around 40 mins to download and install.

Not check yet, but figers crossed it will include the major 2021.24 update. Disney+ , car wash mode and keeping WiFi whist on drive.

Reactions: moodel_tree
Seems like been a push this morning, collected last Friday with 2021.3.107 and received app notification to enable WiFi and download 2021.32.31 .

I don't have WiFi connection while parked, just used my mobile as hotspot. Took around 40 mins to download and install.

Not check yet, but figers crossed it will include the major 2021.24 update. Disney+ , car wash mode and keeping WiFi whist on drive.
Don't believe we get Disney in the UK

thanks!

I noticed similar swirls, scratching and a little 'haziness' in certain light/angles when I collected my red M3 and I suspect a lot of this is how the car is washed or prepared prior to handover. I mean it didn't look BAD but it was noticeable if you have an eye for such things.

I took the car to a local detailer for a proper paint correction + ceramic coating and I can't begin to tell you how much better it looked afterwards, the paint finish was just so smooth and glass-like in addition to the colour looking much better (I'm guessing due to the smoothness and how the light interacts with it). I genuinely wasn't expecting such a dramatic difference.

Especially for a black car, I would highly recommend at a bare minimum a proper polish and sealant or ceramic coating. Yes, it'll cost money but the car will look infinitely better and protected as much as possible from new swirls/scratches as well as chemical resistance to bugs and bird crap.

No Disney+ unfortunately

Reactions: Scottish mod3