Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Other Home Battery Options? (PW alternative)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would suggest you see how many people make and have been making for some time, hybrid inverters. ;)
A hybrid inverter means an inverter that can connect to a battery and solar, doesn't seem relevant to this conversation which is about creating a hybrid between different battery systems.

The point being made is that RaodCred already had one Tesla PowerWall and was asking about adding a second battery from a different manufacturer. The point being made was that it would be very hard to combine two different battery systems that were unaware of each other, especially since the Tesla PowerWall has it's own AI learning stuff that can't be easily influenced.

I’m getting a 7kWh battery storage installed. I chose Pylontech batteries paired with a Victron Multiplus charger/inverter. Bought the system on Black Friday for about 4500 pounds.

I really like Victron as they have a ton of technical documentation on their website helping with understanding, planning and installing of an Energy Storage System. They are also easy to integrate with via MQTT (HomeAssistant) and allow for local monitoring via Grafana.

I’m happy to report back on how the installation goes and how it will perform

I’m getting a 7kWh battery storage installed. I chose Pylontech batteries paired with a Victron Multiplus charger/inverter. Bought the system on Black Friday for about 4500 pounds.

I really like Victron as they have a ton of technical documentation on their website helping with understanding, planning and installing of an Energy Storage System. They are also easy to integrate with via MQTT (HomeAssistant) and allow for local monitoring via Grafana.

I’m happy to report back on how the installation goes and how it will perform
Which Pylontech batteries? They seem great value for money at the moment.

I went with the US3000C as those were included in the kit (and I couldn’t find them cheaper elsewhere). You can pair the US2000C and US3000C, but dont think they are compatible with the US5000.
I’d do the calculations based on price/usable capacity but also consider weight and space requirements. The US3000C is over 30kg :D

My initial thoughts were to put them underneath the stairs as well. After a conversation with an electrician I changed plans, though due to fire risk concerns. The stairs classify as emergency exit so would need to take extra fireproofing measurements. Also the space underneath the stairs is quite small already so there were concerns regarding adequate ventilation but also ease of access for maintenance/installation (as mentioned above, that stuff is heavy).

I decided to put everything in a spare bedroom which we only use for storage anyway. I put the battery rack on wheels so I can easier remove it in case of a fire.

Voltacon does some nice looking cases for the US2000C as well. In general Voltacon has cheaper batteries (which look suspiciously similar to pylontech). I didn’t choose them
Due to lack of east accessible documentation and also couldn’t find a forum/community.

Attachments

• DA9C2FD4-CFA7-45BE-8B10-357535D53630.jpeg
    DA9C2FD4-CFA7-45BE-8B10-357535D53630.jpeg
    87.4 KB · Views: 57
Reactions: InventEd
I went with the US3000C as those were included in the kit (and I couldn’t find them cheaper elsewhere). You can pair the US2000C and US3000C, but dont think they are compatible with the US5000.
I’d do the calculations based on price/usable capacity but also consider weight and space requirements. The US3000C is over 30kg :D

My initial thoughts were to put them underneath the stairs as well. After a conversation with an electrician I changed plans, though due to fire risk concerns. The stairs classify as emergency exit so would need to take extra fireproofing measurements. Also the space underneath the stairs is quite small already so there were concerns regarding adequate ventilation but also ease of access for maintenance/installation (as mentioned above, that stuff is heavy).

I decided to put everything in a spare bedroom which we only use for storage anyway. I put the battery rack on wheels so I can easier remove it in case of a fire.

Voltacon does some nice looking cases for the US2000C as well. In general Voltacon has cheaper batteries (which look suspiciously similar to pylontech). I didn’t choose them
Due to lack of east accessible documentation and also couldn’t find a forum/community.
good shout on the fire/understairs scenerio and ventilation, i will design them into the garage.

I was hoping by this time I can report back with some stats on how well the system is performing. Quite the opposite…

The electrician I was working with pulled out last minute. Now I’m stuck with about 5000 pounds worth in equipment and do not have anyone to install it.

Now I’m looking for a new installer but so far I’ve only found installers who are willing to do the job but too far away, installers who are close by and familiar with the equipment but only install material they have procured themselves and installers who are close by but unfamiliar with the equipment.

It has been rather frustrating to say the least. If anyone can recommend an installer in den Kent/London area, please let me know.

Iirc the tech spec says operating temp is between 10-40C
In my garage it unfortunately gets colder than that
My 7 are in a server cabinet in an unheated garage. In the winter I put insulation either side and wrap the outside with multifoil insulation. The batteries climb to about 24c when charging and discharge to about 18c. At an outside temp of -8c.
In the spring I remove the insulation and they sit between 35c on the hottest 28c day, and 24c overnight.

Reactions: ThornOfCamorr