Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ottawa to Victoria in a M3 SR+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What kind of speed were you seeing with the CCS adapter when it was working? Wow you saved quite a lot avoiding some of the superchargers. I am doing a similar trip in September (Hamilton -> Vancouver and back). I visited the east coast in June doing about 5500km and I spent I believe $467 total on Supercharging over 9 day. I had a couple of nights of free destination charging in a Nova Scotia. I recently got the CCS adapter from Korea as well but havenā€™t had the opportunity to try it yet. Iā€™m driving a M3P but I might have 18s on it before the trip so that may help a bit more with the efficiency.

If anyone is wondering, just completed this trip. Had no issues with charging and made it through. Left Saturday at noon from Ottawa and arrived in Victoria Tuesday evening around 7pm.

Here's the charging stats. Tried to utilize CCS as much as possible because it was cheaper, but 40% of the stations were not functioning... Totaled just under 6000km

View attachment 832607

What kind of speed were you seeing with the CCS adapter when it was working? Wow you saved quite a lot avoiding some of the superchargers. I am doing a similar trip in September (Hamilton -> Vancouver and back). I visited the east coast in June doing about 5500km and I spent I believe $467 total on Supercharging over 9 day. I had a couple of nights of free destination charging in a Nova Scotia. I recently got the CCS adapter from Korea as well but havenā€™t had the opportunity to try it yet. Iā€™m driving a M3P but I might have 18s on it before the trip so that may help a bit more with the efficiency.

Since I'd got my CCS Adaptor in May, I've been using CCS exclusively here in Toronto. As you know, there are so many variants affecting the charging speed but the good thing is you don't have to share power in V2 supercharger.

For the Electrify Canada 350kW charger, on a cold battery with around 15% SOC at around 18C-25C, I usually get between 160kW-190kW and it comes down to 80kW steady until 70%. The highest I'd got is 215kW with battery pre-conditioning and 10% SOC.

For the Electrify Canada 150kW charger with the same conditions, usually starts at 120kW and go down to 70kW steady until 70%, still better than V2 when you are sharing.

Also tried Petro-Can CCS 350kW with similar results but Petro-Can chargers are not as reliable as Electrify Canada.

For the cost, it averages out 33cents/kWh with the Pass+ membership in Electrify Canada. It will be cheaper in Petro-Can for a couple cents per kWh but I prefer EC. As a reference, it costs 55cents or more per kWh in Superchargers.

Unfortunately, there is no Electrify Canada along Trans-Canada Hwy 1. There are only Petro-Can CCS and they are max out at 200kW.

I'm planning to drive to Lake Louise from Toronto in November and have planned my route splitting between V3 supercharger and CCS on Hwy 1. Can't wait to visit the Rockies again :)

p.s. In case you are wondering where I store the adaptor, I just leave it in the glove box without any protective case. So far so good, still like new. It's a little inconvenient because I have to keep the glove box PIN protected.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jaboo
Since I'd got my CCS Adaptor in May, I've been using CCS exclusively here in Toronto. As you know, there are so many variants affecting the charging speed but the good thing is you don't have to share power in V2 supercharger.

For the Electrify Canada 350kW charger, on a cold battery with around 15% SOC at around 18C-25C, I usually gets between 160kW-190kW and comes down to 80kW steady until 70%. The highest I'd got is 215kW with battery pre-conditioning and 10% SOC.

For the Electrify Canada 150kW charger with the same conditions, usually starts at 120kW and go down to 70kW steady until 70%, still better than V2 when you are sharing.

Also tried Petro-Can CCS 350kW with similar results but Petro-Can chargers are not as reliable as Electrify Canada.

For the cost, it averages out 33cents/kWh with the Pass+ membership in Electrify Canada. It will be cheaper in Petro-Can for a couple cents per kWh but I prefer EC. As a reference, it costs 55cents or more per kWh in Superchargers.

Unfortunately, there is no Electrify Canada along Trans-Canada Hwy 1. There are only Petro-Can CCS and they are max out at 200kW.

I'm planning to drive to Lake Louise from Toronto in November and have planned my route splitting between V3 supercharger and CCS on Hwy 1. Can't wait to visit the Rockies again :)

Thank you for the info Kuroneko. I took a look at the EA map and see they are clustered along the 401 from Windsor to QC and then Calgary to Vancouver at the moment. Iā€™ll have to get there app and maybe try one near me just to figure it out. Iā€™ve only used Tesla and a couple of Flo chargers when I was out east.

Impressive. You barely slept and/or you broke some speed records across the prairies :)
Disappointed about CCS reliability. Looks like PrecoCan has a long way to go before they can change to ElectroCan.
Thanks for the update.
Haha not much sleep. I honestly caught a lot of sleep doing supercharges. I slept about 5hrs on average. Only slept 3 nights, and actually didn't drive much during the night and tried to avoid doing so.

Unfortunately, I hit a deer in the prairies so that wasn't so nice. Total cost of repair is $9500. Also takes well over a month to repair. Headlight, bumper, fender and hood as well as two sensors need to be replaced. The problem is I have matrix headlights, and apparently they're not made anymore so they're replacing both headlights with the standard headlights.

Just some expensive parts that need to be replaced:
Hood - $615
Parking Sensor - $155 x2
Fender - $440
Front harness - $420
Headlight Assy - $1210 x2
Running Light (where fog is) - $240
Bumper - $650

The total for OEM parts is: $5500
Labour, material and tax is the rest and parts total around $9500

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: sckor
I was averaging about 200kw, but mostly because I would precondition to the Supercharger that was in that city, and then use my phone to navigate to the PetroCan CCS that was a street or two over. If it was way out of the way, I would just opt for the Tesla charger because I didn't want to risk going there and having it dead.

Honestly the CCS saves quite a bit, almost half. That being said, I was driving an SR+ so maybe the charging peaks weren't 250kw vs what could be on an LR

Thank you for the info Kuroneko. I took a look at the EA map and see they are clustered along the 401 from Windsor to QC and then Calgary to Vancouver at the moment. Iā€™ll have to get there app and maybe try one near me just to figure it out. Iā€™ve only used Tesla and a couple of Flo chargers when I was out east.
Also BC Hydro CCS doesn't often show up on PlugShare. I have no clue why, so I relied on the BC Hydro app.

I was averaging about 200kw, but mostly because I would precondition to the Supercharger that was in that city, and then use my phone to navigate to the PetroCan CCS that was a street or two over. If it was way out of the way, I would just opt for the Tesla charger because I didn't want to risk going there and having it dead.

Honestly the CCS saves quite a bit, almost half. That being said, I was driving an SR+ so maybe the charging peaks weren't 250kw vs what could be on an LR
200 kW? I thought that the Model 3 SR+ or RWD was only able to pull down 170 kW max?

Haha not much sleep. I honestly caught a lot of sleep doing supercharges. I slept about 5hrs on average. Only slept 3 nights, and actually didn't drive much during the night and tried to avoid doing so.

Unfortunately, I hit a deer in the prairies so that wasn't so nice. Total cost of repair is $9500. Also takes well over a month to repair. Headlight, bumper, fender and hood as well as two sensors need to be replaced. The problem is I have matrix headlights, and apparently they're not made anymore so they're replacing both headlights with the standard headlights.

Just some expensive parts that need to be replaced:
Hood - $615
Parking Sensor - $155 x2
Fender - $440
Front harness - $420
Headlight Assy - $1210 x2
Running Light (where fog is) - $240
Bumper - $650

The total for OEM parts is: $5500
Labour, material and tax is the rest and parts total around $9500

Sheet! So this was your friends 3sr+ that you were driving? not sure I would be happy about downgrading the lights. Although Iā€™ve only driven my car with the matrix headlights a couple of times at night and didnā€™t find them that great. I had my Civic 3 years and rarely ever had to use my high beams but the first night with the M3P I thought something might be wrong Iā€™m not sure they were projecting more than 1.5 car lengths in front of me and I was having to use the high beams all the time so maybe it isnā€™t that big a loss. Iā€™m actually planning to try and do zero night driving when I do my trip in September.

Sheet! So this was your friends 3sr+ that you were driving? not sure I would be happy about downgrading the lights. Although Iā€™ve only driven my car with the matrix headlights a couple of times at night and didnā€™t find them that great. I had my Civic 3 years and rarely ever had to use my high beams but the first night with the M3P I thought something might be wrong Iā€™m not sure they were projecting more than 1.5 car lengths in front of me and I was having to use the high beams all the time so maybe it isnā€™t that big a loss. Iā€™m actually planning to try and do zero night driving when I do my trip in September.
Yes it was. But he's selling it as he has a MYLR on the way. I warned him about the drive prior to leaving and he said it was alright. I missed another deer about 6hrs earlier and swerved by it. Also saw a moose in Ontario.

Yeah I have the standard lights on my MYLR and they seem to perform better than the matrix ones for actual driving.

Dang. I wonder if AP would have been able to avoid.
What did you end up doing for entertainment on long stretches?
I doubt it. I almost hit another deer a few hours earlier and AP was on, and it just beeped at me. I swerved it still but went towards the deer's rear end. Not sure why I was aiming at the front his time lol.

I literally just listened to podcasts. It was honestly pretty great.

Thanks for the drive report. I've done the Winnipeg - Ottawa drive a few times (pre-Tesla) and once straight through, but your drive is impressive simply as a feat of endurance (and particularly with a damaged vehicle after the deer strike). It is not one I'd like to try, and particularly not at my age, even with a Tesla and AP. You are a true friend for volunteering to do this, and not getting to really enjoy the scenery.

$290 for charging seems like just a fraction of the cost of driving a typical ICE that distance, right? Iā€™m relatively new to Canada and thinking about liters of gas per mile costs, and I have not owned or driven an ICE since 2014 so canā€™t quickly estimate what the cost of gas would be in a mid-size sedan for that trip. Anyone care to estimate for comparison purposes?

If anyone is wondering, just completed this trip. Had no issues with charging and made it through. Left Saturday at noon from Ottawa and arrived in Victoria Tuesday evening around 7pm.

Here's the charging stats. Tried to utilize CCS as much as possible because it was cheaper, but 40% of the stations were not functioning... Totaled just under 6000km

View attachment 832607