Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Our cars are invincible but sucks to have to find out

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Joining the crowd too.. 2017 75D here. Swerved to avoid t-boning and hopped a standard curb at 20-30 mph. Missed a fire hydrant. Largely unscathed except for wheels/tires below. Have a service appointment but wondering what the collective thinks of the potential for serious hardware damage. And no, autopilot was not on :D

seriously there ought to be a collisions/repair subforum (or mods can repost me there) :rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_2545.JPG
    IMG_2545.JPG
    425.9 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_2546.JPG
    IMG_2546.JPG
    326.7 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_2547.JPG
    IMG_2547.JPG
    610.2 KB · Views: 106
How is the steering wheel? Is it loose? Still in tact? Did you get any notifications on the car such as "stability control disabled" or "automatic emergency brake disabled" or just any in general? Are you able to drive the car still? Or is it just stuck and not drivable?

How is the steering wheel? Is it loose? Still in tact? Did you get any notifications on the car such as "stability control disabled" or "automatic emergency brake disabled" or just any in general?
didn't notice any difference offhand, no notifications either through the vehicle or according to tesla. Just got off the phone with them and they want to pay for alignment before they can fully road-test the vehicle. A little much i think?

didn't notice any difference offhand, no notifications either through the vehicle or according to tesla. Just got off the phone with them and they want to pay for alignment before they can fully road-test the vehicle. A little much i think?

You may get off by just doing an alignment! How much does Tesla charge for alignment anyway? Normally whenever the dealerships want to do an alignment, they would say, normally our price is $200 but today it is only $125. Really??? What a deal! Yeah right...

That rim looks cracked in the first photo. I'd just go through insurance as it's probably going to add up by the time you've had alignment, at least one rim, and anything else Tesla finds upon inspection.

Well done for avoiding all the obstacles by the way. I bet the adrenaline was a bit raised after that one. :)

That rim looks cracked in the first photo. I'd just go through insurance as it's probably going to add up by the time you've had alignment, at least one rim, and anything else Tesla finds upon inspection.

Well done for avoiding all the obstacles by the way. I bet the adrenaline was a bit raised after that one. :)
that's a shadow i guess of the tire and smudge. Rim intact; i doubt anything is off but of course sourcing the community wisdom

I would be extremely cautious regarding the control arms, as well as your steering rack and power steering module. These are "known" points of failure. At least have them checked for cracks or stress, and the bolts on the steering rack checked for sheering

• Informative
Reactions: Xd85
Note that the weakness for the bolts on the power steering module is a problem with rusting, so probably wouldn't contribute to risks for the OP.

but I certainly agree that a thorough inspection of the control arms, rack, etc are needed after a hit like that. And also agree that alignment would reveal a small bend/crack that is not seen in a visual inspection.

• Informative
Reactions: Xd85
Note that the weakness for the bolts on the power steering module is a problem with rusting, so probably wouldn't contribute to risks for the OP.

but I certainly agree that a thorough inspection of the control arms, rack, etc are needed after a hit like that. And also agree that alignment would reveal a small bend/crack that is not seen in a visual inspection.

It was with rusting for sure (they could be rusted? lol), theres also sheering forces that happen on impacts like that... definitely a lower priority item but a very easy one to check! :)