Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Out of warranty concerns about Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
sorka - that is partially what all this discussion is about. There doesn't seem to be any specific maintenance listed. There are threads on what Tesla does at a service visit, but it seems to be pretty minor stuff:
replace brake pads if needed (ya, right)
replace wiper blades if needed
wheel alignment
check torque on a bunch of bolts
ensure latest firmware
top up washer fluid)
(Am I missing anything major?

The manual states the brake fluid should be changed every 24k miles and coolant changed every 48k miles. These seem to be the only real items that could void the ESA.

sorka - that is partially what all this discussion is about. There doesn't seem to be any specific maintenance listed. There are threads on what Tesla does at a service visit, but it seems to be pretty minor stuff:
wheel alignment
ensure latest firmware
top up washer fluid)

The manual states the brake fluid should be changed every 24k miles and coolant changed every 48k miles. These seem to be the only real items that could void the ESA.

That has been my point all along :)

Funny thought is if they denied warranty because you forgot to replace your fob battery. Also be prepared to pay the $200 deductible on it! =)

I suppose if it leaked spent electrolyte into the fob and destroyed the PCB, that would probably actually be possible!

Ooh that's right... and I'll bet a key fob cost more than $200. I guess I'd better check on my spare before I cross 50k.

wheel alignment
ensure latest firmware
top up washer fluid)

Yet, this doesn't change the CONTRACT terms of the ESA. The contract can and does require you to do this maintenance, irrespective of what is done when Tesla performs the maintenance.

I agree, it's a pretty lame situation; one that could be easily remedied if Tesla would officially clarify and change language on the written contracts accordingly.

What maintenance? Please show where it says what needs to be done.
Sigh. The language has been quoted above. You must follow the maintenance schedule of 12,500 miles or one year, whichever occurs first. That's the Owner's Manual documentation. Again, what that entails is irrelevant in a contract situation. You don't comply with this, you may well find yourself with a problem when the ESA kicks in. This has nothing to do with the warranty, which of course remains in effect regardless of your following this recommendation or not.

It's that simple. We've gone around this block enough times in this thread. It's your money. Given the current state of affairs, I would follow the 12,500 mile or 1 year intervals, whichever came first IF I decide to purchase the ESA. Which means, for those driving 25K miles a year, at least $4,800 (at list $600 per) in maintenance visits, on top of the $4,000 ESA.

Geez, this car can get expensive after purchase.

Why hasn't anyone mentioned the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975?

Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It applies to all car warranties. It really puts this issue to rest. The manufacturer must honor the warranty if there is proof that the service was performed appropriately, even if not by the dealer (i.e., oil change in an ICE).

If the recommended service was not done (I never changed the coolant), and let's say the radiator sprung a leak from corrosion and the power window motor stopped working, they could deny the radiator claim because of improper maintenance, but would have to honor the motor repair because it was unrelated to the failure to change coolant. This is how companies manage and even promote aftermarket accessories, etc. just like with other automakers, tesla may decide to comp or partially cover repairs even if the car is out of warranty if a serious problem crops up (Mercedes V-8 camshafts or BMW Nikasol engines). Also, the excluded items list is the same that I've seen on every warranty I've bought (BMW, Ford, Mercedes, Volvo, Subaru), but again goodwill often kicks in if there is evidence that a problem with one of those excluded items is due to a defect and not wear and tear.

That said, a $200 deductible per item and the inability to get a CPO warranty that's at least as long as a used car with an ESC is silly. That single fact dissuades me from considering a CPO car.

Bump on this thread and its original intent. I'm at 45000 miles after 2 years and 3 months. I'm still confused on the extended warranty and whether or not it's worth it. Right now I look at the the $200 per item as a deal killer just on bs principle but maybe I'm being foolish. Any other comments or clarity would be greatly appreciated.

Bump on this thread and its original intent. I'm at 45000 miles after 2 years and 3 months. I'm still confused on the extended warranty and whether or not it's worth it. Right now I look at the the $200 per item as a deal killer just on bs principle but maybe I'm being foolish. Any other comments or clarity would be greatly appreciated.

If you plan on keeping your car for a while do it, if not then don't. It will also help with resale.

Did you do all 12,500 mile services as recommended? If not, you might want to look at the plain language of the ESA that may invalidate any coverage when scheduled maintenance isn't followed.

Currently the extended warranty is not available for purchase.

How does it help with resale? My understanding is the warranty doesn't pass on. Hopefully I'm wrong but since the My Tesla page no longer has a link to the PDFs or to purchase it I can't read the warranty.

I was told that it does but I specifically looked for private parties selling cars 2014 or newer with the additional 4 year warranty making it more attractive to me than a similarly equipped CPO.

Lawdude,
It's a good point and no I didn't. I took it in yearly but I put on 20,000 miles per year. I have an email from Fremont service center manager looking into just this as he's the one that told me yearly was fine for the S but the extended warranty was not part of that conversation. We shall see. I'll let you know.

I was told that it does but I specifically looked for private parties selling cars 2014 or newer with the additional 4 year warranty making it more attractive to me than a similarly equipped CPO.

Yes, you can transfer it to a new owner for a $100 fee.

From https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/blog_attachments/na_tesla_warranty_plan_agreement_sp.pdf

J. Transfer of this Vehicle ESA

Contact Tesla and submit the following:
1. A letter requesting that Tesla transfer this Vehicle ESA to the new owner.
2. $100 transfer fee.
3. This Vehicle ESA.
4. Written evidence verifying all maintenance requirements have been met.
5. A copy of documentation evidencing change of ownership and mileage at date of sale.
6. Documents verifying transference of the Vehicle ESA, if applicable.

Conditions:
1. This Vehicle ESA cannot be transferred to another vehicle. It can only be transferred to a different private owner of the same Vehicle.
2. The Vehicle is subject to inspection.
3. Transfer must take place within 30 days of change of ownership.
4. You may not transfer this Vehicle ESA to a vehicle dealer or to the customer of a vehicle dealer.
5. All remaining underlying warranties also must be transferred to the new owner.