Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Out of warranty concerns about Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's crazy! It's sad that Tesla can't get their act together and be cohesive. Seems like IT should be something Tesla excels at, so that all parts catalogs are pulled online and updated everywhere at the same time.

I can understand individual opinions from service center personnel differing, but costs and procedures should be fixed.

When the body shop was working up the quote on my car, he had to pull up a PDF that he downloads monthly from a Tesla website that had a massive list of part numbers and then scan for the part number and the listed price. He had June's price list (this was in July), so we compared a few items. Prices did go down, particularly on panels like bumper covers.

Starting to?
It already happend here in The Netherlands December 2014.
A big name insurer (direct writer) terminated our Tesla specific insurance, offering a 'standard' replacement at six times the price.

-"High cost replacements, Sir."

Did you immediately switch coverage to one of his competitors?

Considering his coverage was terminated I'd guess he probably did.

Yes, I did, as of January 1st. Could've switched sooner, but was too lazy for that. Most of us found our way to a competitor with marginally higher rates (~20%).
Btw, the original insurer was the one endorsed by Tesla Motors at the time of delivery...

website says:

Warranty

the linked pdf warranty document says

Capture.JPG

no reference to "whichever comes first" in the warranty document

Maybe it changed?

So I would take it that an annual service is fine (and frankly you should do this as common sense anyway) if you do higher mileages.
This also seem to align with what many Tesla SC people are saying

website says:

Warranty

the linked pdf warranty document says

View attachment 90298

no reference to "whichever comes first" in the warranty document

Maybe it changed?

So I would take it that an annual service is fine (and frankly you should do this as common sense anyway) if you do higher mileages.
This also seem to align with what many Tesla SC people are saying

You're taking an out-of-context exclusion from the Warranty document, not the recommended Service Intervals in the Owner's Manual.

Maintenance Schedule, Page 118:
Service Interv​als
take Model S to Tesla at the regularly scheduled maintenance intervals of every 12 months, or every 12,500 miles (20,000 km), whichever comes first.It is also important to perform the daily and monthly checks described below.
Model S must be serviced by Tesla-certified technicians. Damages or failures caused by maintenance or repairs performed by non- Tesla certified technicians are not covered by the warranty.

Accusing someone of fear mongering is personal.

I disagree.

It would have surprised me had you not. I suspect you're rather in the minority on this one.

it's an observation of behavior, not a judgment of the person. It's like saying something I said was hypocritical. I wouldn't take that personally. But if you were to call me a hypocrite, or I RXLawdude a fear-mongerer, then yes, that could be perceived as personal. :)

Specious argument at its finest. To "merely observe" that someone is engaging in behavior that is unequivocally pejorative is to attribute ill intent to the person performing that behavior. Unless, of course, you were to opine that the pejorative act was inadvertent. (Which you did not.)

But of course, you understand that full well. I've come to believe that you merely enjoy digging at people with words and then stepping back with a "What? Widdle ol' me?" when it's pointed out.

You're taking an out-of-context exclusion from the Warranty document, not the recommended Service Intervals in the Owner's Manual.

No I'm not, there is nothing out of context whatsoever, and I'm surprised given you previous posts that you would make such an inaccurate statement.

The .pdf document referred to is the "Tesla New Vehicle Limited Warranty" which seems to me to be about as close to a contract as Tesla issue and most certainly is more relevant than manuals which are notoriously out of date.
The except I printed is the only point in the Warranty document when mileage is referred to.

What does seem clear is that there are inconsistencies in some of Tesla's media on the subject, however the "Tesla New Vehicle Limited Warranty" would appear to be the authoritative document.

No I'm not, there is nothing out of context whatsoever, and I'm surprised given you previous posts that you would make such an inaccurate statement.

The .pdf document referred to is the "Tesla New Vehicle Limited Warranty" which seems to me to be about as close to a contract as Tesla issue and most certainly is more relevant than manuals which are notoriously out of date.
The except I printed is the only point in the Warranty document when mileage is referred to.

What does seem clear is that there are inconsistencies in some of Tesla's media on the subject, however the "Tesla New Vehicle Limited Warranty" would appear to be the authoritative document.

No, because WARRANTY law is completely different than CONTRACT (i.e., the ESA) law. Thus, the WARRANTY section is irrelevant to the topic, which is OUT OF WARRANTY concerns.

And, the section you quoted was EXCLUSIONS from the warranty. That is, the WARRANTY does not cover the MAINTENANCE SERVICE VISITS. You are correct, however, that failure to follow a maintenance schedule is not grounds for refusing WARRANTY coverage (unless it's conclusively proven the issue was caused by such lack of maintenance). The ESA is a horse of a different color entirely.

It would have surprised me had you not. I suspect you're rather in the minority on this one.

Specious argument at its finest. To "merely observe" that someone is engaging in behavior that is unequivocally pejorative is to attribute ill intent to the person performing that behavior. Unless, of course, you were to opine that the pejorative act was inadvertent. (Which you did not.)

But of course, you understand that full well. I've come to believe that you merely enjoy digging at people with words and then stepping back with a "What? Widdle ol' me?" when it's pointed out.

I appreciate your feedback. I think I must have a thicker skin than most, having faced a lot of discrimination in my life (different topic). No offense was intended. Moving on... :)

Can someone please point me in the owners manual to where it says what must be done in the 12,500 / 12 month service interval? I don't see any requirements listed in the upper left corner of that page. There are requirements in the upper right corner but those don't follow the 12,500 / 12 month intervals.