Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Out of warranty cost of repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a new member on this forum and I am thinking of buying a used 2016 model S. I have never owned an EV before but my driving situation has changed due to a new job and I drive 100 miles a day. Therefore I thought of looking at Tesla for savings on gas and maintenance.
However I will be driving 30k miles a year and am nervous because of the cost of repairs after warranty. The car I am looking at now has 25k miles.
If someone can give me some advise if it is smart to get a car like the model s for a daily commuter car. I appreciate any help.
Thank you.

Don’t buy a model S to save money. You will not save money. End of story.

That said there are lots of good reasons to buy an electric vehicle other than saving money. I commute in mine much like you describe, about 110 miles a day. I’ve put 55k miles on the car in 19 months. Thus far the car has been 100% reliable and I’ve had no out of pocket repair costs, but do a little reading here and familiarize yourself with the cost of routine repairs - they can be eye watering.

Don’t buy a model S to save money. You will not save money. End of story.

That said there are lots of good reasons to buy an electric vehicle other than saving money. I commute in mine much like you describe, about 110 miles a day. I’ve put 55k miles on the car in 19 months. Thus far the car has been 100% reliable and I’ve had no out of pocket repair costs, but do a little reading here and familiarize yourself with the cost of routine repairs - they can be eye watering.
Thank you for your input.
Do you think after 100k it will be a money pit? If that’s the case then it doesn’t make sense for me to spend a lot of money on repairs once warranty runs out. I was thinking of keeping this car for a long time.
I have read some topics in this forum where people had to spend lot of money, but those models were 2012-2015.
I do love the car and loved auto pilot. But the cost of repair and upkeep is keeping me from pulling the trigger.

Agree with @ucmndd that a Tesla is not a cost saver in the long run. For example, even if you have no repairs, and save on fuel costs, routine services, higher tire replacement expense and higher insurance premiums will offset some of those savings.

The reason to choose a Tesla as a commuter is that it is a true pleasure to drive, every single time!
I am ok with tire replacement cost because right now my run flat costs me $400 each, and insurance premium will be close to what I pay now.
I am just worried about the other stuff in the car like the infotainment system, door handles, and the other parts that r similar to a gas car.
If I buy the car it has to be within this coming week and I am having a hard time deciding whether to go for it or not.

I’ll let you know in another year or so. ;) For what it’s worth, my current plan is to keep the car for the duration of the 8 year drive unit / battery warranty. I guess we’ll see how economical that proves to be.

The car I am buying has 25k miles. Therefore I have bumper to bumper warranty for another 25k miles. It’s a 2016 model so I have battery and motor warranty till 2024.
Should I buy the car and keep it till 2024 and then if it’s really expensive to maintain then I sell it?

The car I am buying has 25k miles. Therefore I have bumper to bumper warranty for another 25k miles. It’s a 2016 model so I have battery and motor warranty till 2024.
Should I buy the car and keep it till 2024 and then if it’s really expensive to maintain then I sell it?

Defiantly do your research, as other have said. The big ticket items are covered (Drive-train and Battery). Electric vehicles are much simpler than gas equivalents- there is very little that can go wrong that would prevent you from driving. The Model S, however, has lots of gadgets that _can_ go wrong and annoy you - door handles that won't present, sunroof noise, etc.. Those things do cost a lot to repair - but they (for the most part) don't _need_ to be repaired if they fail. It's up to you.

As others have said, bodywork can be EXPENSIVE, so get good insurance.

I've had my S since 2012, the biggest expense for me has been tires.
And the only out of pocket expense post warranty was was the 12V battery. Your less likely to have failures compared to an ICE - no exhaust, no oil, no Gas, no random leaking fluids etc...

Good luck!

I have 113k miles.
NO GAS, ZERO.
I've had one door handle break. I replaced it mysilf. I now have 3 spares ready if another one breaks. . Its the $1.20 gear.
Mine was built January 2013. When quality was perfect.
In economics, its called ROI. figure it on a 5 yr ROI. HOW MUCH DID YOU SPEND.
In 5 yrs what have you spent? Compared to you gas Bmw or Mercedes? Oil changes. Etc.
Oh, DO NOT buy a CPO. Read the other post why.
Good luck.

Reactions: Hank42
Defiantly do your research, as other have said. The big ticket items are covered (Drive-train and Battery). Electric vehicles are much simpler than gas equivalents- there is very little that can go wrong that would prevent you from driving. The Model S, however, has lots of gadgets that _can_ go wrong and annoy you - door handles that won't present, sunroof noise, etc.. Those things do cost a lot to repair - but they (for the most part) don't _need_ to be repaired if they fail. It's up to you.

As others have said, bodywork can be EXPENSIVE, so get good insurance.

I've had my S since 2012, the biggest expense for me has been tires.
And the only out of pocket expense post warranty was was the 12V battery. Your less likely to have failures compared to an ICE - no exhaust, no oil, no Gas, no random leaking fluids etc...

Good luck!
How many miles do you have on the car?
I appreciate the feedback.

I have 113k miles.
NO GAS, ZERO.
I've had one door handle break. I replaced it mysilf. I now have 3 spares ready if another one breaks. . Its the $1.20 gear.
Mine was built January 2013. When quality was perfect.
In economics, its called ROI. figure it on a 5 yr ROI. HOW MUCH DID YOU SPEND.
In 5 yrs what have you spent? Compared to you gas Bmw or Mercedes? Oil changes. Etc.
Oh, DO NOT buy a CPO. Read the other post why.
Good luck.
I read that the 2016 model s and newer models have fixed the door handle issue. I don’t know how accurate that is. Other than the door handles you didn’t have any out of pocket expense? Since you have driven so many miles do you do the annual check up for $600?
After reading your comment and the other comments I am feeling confident on pulling the trigger and going for it. I am not buying a CPO I got a good deal from a private party. Thank you for the help.

I read that the 2016 model s and newer models have fixed the door handle issue. I don’t know how accurate that is. Other than the door handles you didn’t have any out of pocket expense? Since you have driven so many miles do you do the annual check up for $600?
After reading your comment and the other comments I am feeling confident on pulling the trigger and going for it. I am not buying a CPO I got a good deal from a private party. Thank you for the help.

Consider asking the 3rd party to buy the extended warranty / service agreement (+4 years / +50,000 miles) before he/she sells you the car. As I recall from other posts, if they are the original owner, they can purchase the extended coverage and transfer it to the 2nd buyer. That way you double your warranty coverage, with only a $200 charge (per visit) on warranty services after the initial 4 years or 50,000 miles warranty.

I am a new member on this forum and I am thinking of buying a used 2016 model S. I have never owned an EV before but my driving situation has changed due to a new job and I drive 100 miles a day. Therefore I thought of looking at Tesla for savings on gas and maintenance.
However I will be driving 30k miles a year and am nervous because of the cost of repairs after warranty. The car I am looking at now has 25k miles.
If someone can give me some advise if it is smart to get a car like the model s for a daily commuter car. I appreciate any help.
Thank you.
Just get it!!

We replaced a Newer Beetle Convertible VW because I didn't want to work on it. I spent 2 hrs to change the battery, ordered very special sockets to change oil, top restringing stuff... I saw the warning signs and it was only 6 yrs old with 25K mi. We just can't compare ICE with Tesla where maintenance is concerned. But I wouldn't want to wreck one without coverage.

I've reviewed all the maintenance requirements (for our Model 3 anyway). Let's see, change the oil in the rear, tires, flush brakes. I can totally deal with that. (Maybe a few more things with the S). I'm planning to die before my car does. If I can get 250K mi, I'm making money. This could even be a great Uber car if needed, and possibly fleet service without a driver in five years time. Oh and having a blast driving one.

Do it! The car is just broken in.

Reactions: BOBTHEJOCKEY