Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Outrageous $5000 repair bill after warranty expire!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Owning any vehicle without having an Extended Service Agreement is a gamble

It's about risk assessment.

It's always a gamble, but some cars are FAR more risky than others.

I have no idea how in good conscious someone could say not to get the extended warranty on a Model X. Unless of course they felt like the extended warranty itself didn't cover enough. So maybe some detail that I don't know about.

It's about risk assessment.

It's always a gamble, but some cars are FAR more risky than others.

My extended would have only lasted me approx less than 16 months. So far I am down $68 bucks since rolling over manufactures. $200 deductible per visit. 13k till I roll over 100k. For some it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

For my X friends I would still buy it however.

I don't see what the OPs issue here is nor why they would expect Tesla to pay for this... Components fail, they just do and when it happens to you it's almost always bad luck. Sure on occasion it's due to abuse, but this isn't it, it's just bad luck. OP chose not to buy the extended warranty and is now literally paying the price... A\C compressors failing isn't new, and unfortunately Tesla's right that when they do you often need to replace the entire system due to metal shavings.

For all of the great many things Tesla isn't doing well these days, this ain't one of them... :) Also, this is exactly why I lease... Yeah the terms suck with Tesla but at least I know I'll always be under warranty...

Jeff

I can go on here about how the "Weak Law of Large Numbers" means that the company selling extended warranties will win and the buyer thereof will lose which is why they sell these warranties. And I have given that lecture to many a car salesman (and refrigerator salesman and washing machine salesman...) over the years. I explain that the money I don't spend on extended warranties goes into a "self insurance" fund to cover huge auto repair bills which do come up if you drive luxury cars. You can make the same argument for home insurance, of course, but I do have that. And I am considering the extended warranty on the Tesla largely because I keep seeing posts like this one. IOW I feel (and feel is a key word here as opposed to think) that there is a good chance I may regret not having it some day.

Another option is to trade the Tesla away when the warranty expires and I'm thinking of doing that.

I can go on here about how the "Weak Law of Large Numbers" means that the company selling extended warranties will win and the buyer thereof will lose which is why they sell these warranties. And I have given that lecture to many a car salesman (and refrigerator salesman and washing machine salesman...) over the years. I explain that the money I don't spend on extended warranties goes into a "self insurance" fund to cover huge auto repair bills which do come up if you drive luxury cars.
Exactly! My senior citizen neighbor pays the utility company $30 a month for insurance on her appliances. I have told her many times it would be cheaper for her to just set that money aside and self insure her appliances. She was able to make a claim on the insurance once in 24 years for ~$450 but she has paid over $8600 over the years. That's more than enough to replace all of her appliances, some multiple times!

I can go on here about how the "Weak Law of Large Numbers" means that the company selling extended warranties will win and the buyer thereof will lose which is why they sell these warranties. And I have given that lecture to many a car salesman (and refrigerator salesman and washing machine salesman...) over the years. I explain that the money I don't spend on extended warranties goes into a "self insurance" fund to cover huge auto repair bills which do come up if you drive luxury cars. You can make the same argument for home insurance, of course, but I do have that. And I am considering the extended warranty on the Tesla largely because I keep seeing posts like this one. IOW I feel (and feel is a key word here as opposed to think) that there is a good chance I may regret not having it some day.

Another option is to trade the Tesla away when the warranty expires and I'm thinking of doing that.

Well the reason you don’t self insure your home is you don’t have the savings to rebuild it.

With a small sample size, I would say the odds of “profiting” from not buying home insurance is not likely and very risky.

Btw, I’ve managed to “profit” from washing machine and dishwasher warranties. My family usage is much higher than the mean. There’s no calculation method for cycles used unlike miles for a car.

That is asymmetric information and adverse selection.

Tesla’s depreciate massively (by raw number - not strictly percentage) so if you want to average out your depreciation, you get the warranty and keep the car longer.

I plan to do this with my X.

I don't see what the OPs issue here is nor why they would expect Tesla to pay for this... Components fail, they just do and when it happens to you it's almost always bad luck. Sure on occasion it's due to abuse, but this isn't it, it's just bad luck. OP chose not to buy the extended warranty and is now literally paying the price... A\C compressors failing isn't new, and unfortunately Tesla's right that when they do you often need to replace the entire system due to metal shavings.

For all of the great many things Tesla isn't doing well these days, this ain't one of them... :) Also, this is exactly why I lease... Yeah the terms suck with Tesla but at least I know I'll always be under warranty...

Jeff

Components fail, sure but for a $100K car you expect that components don't fail that quickly. Even a compressor you expect to last longer than that on such a car. It is not like the car is twenty years old or something. Like I said, perhaps there is some kind of legal warranty like they have in Europe. This legal warranty is specially for these things, buying an expensive product a consumer has a reasonable expectation of lasting it longer than this.

Before my warranty expire couple of month ago. I did consider to purchase extended warranty. I read peoples opinion on the forum, agreed not to pay the $4000 ahead of the time, can't believe this.

OK here we go again. YOU made a gamble not to get the $4,000 (I paid 5) extended warranty on your >$100k car, so YOU assumed the risk... now that risk bit you and you want the benefit of a bargain retroactively. C'mon people. Yes, it sucks I'm with you there but trying to make it Tesla's fault OR responsibility is unfair.

I paid 5k for one car.... ZERO went wrong to 100k miles.

Didn't pay for 2nd car... Chargers went at $2k.

Murphys law in action.

I agree 100%

Also, this is exactly why I lease... Yeah the terms suck with Tesla but at least I know I'll always be under warranty...

Jeff

But aren't you just paying anyway? Like OP is actually in the hole about 1k all things considered. Not bad in perspective

Reactions: Guy V
When I got my Roadster, I gladly bought the extended warranty as I figured it was a new car, new design, new technology. I came out WAY ahead buying it. I wish I could have extended it, since just replacing my shocks, 1 fan and the annual service recently cost about what the prior extended warranty cost! I bet I'd be way ahead again by the time it runs out. Clearly the Model X is a different beast, but it is still an expensive car with a "maturing" technology.

Well the reason you don’t self insure your home is you don’t have the savings to rebuild it.
I do but I wouldn't want to have to lay them out. It would definitely change my plans for the future.

With a small sample size, I would say the odds of “profiting” from not buying home insurance is not likely and very risky.
The math is the same. The insurance company is not in business for my benefit. My gain from purchasing home owners insurance over these years has been overwhelmingly negative and my expected future gain is negative too. But I don't think I have paid in enough premiums to cover rebuilding my house and the worst case risk is huge. The worst case risk with an X isn't as big as it is with a house but it is certainly bigger than that for a washing machine. In my previous post I mentioned feeling rather than thinking. I feel better knowing that should I be unlucky I'm covered. That's what I am buying - the feeling of security. The higher the replacement or repair cost of the item and the more likely that repair or replacement will be required the more appealing insurance is. With the Tesla the expected loss is higher than that for a washing machine because both parts of the expectation calculation are high i.e. the probability of disaster and the cost of a disaster.

Reactions: MXWing
Even if on the average owners will come out ahead by skipping the extended warranty - out of that group, there will be owners who will end up paying more (and in some cases, much more) in repair costs than the cost of the extended warranty.

Assuming Tesla is selling the extended warranties as "break even" (since that's been Tesla's strategy for service), you have roughly a 50% chance of saving or losing money on purchasing the extended warranty.

While Tesla vehicles have fewer moving parts than ICEs, and even though the most expensive elements (battery pack & motor) have separate warranties, there are some components that are expensive to repair - and while ICEs are mature technologies, EVs are relatively new - and may have a higher risk of repair.

We've purchased the extended warranties for our two Model S and one Model X - to provide protection against spending much more should we need major repairs during the second 50K miles/4 years (since we plan to keep our Tesla vehicles until the extended warranty is close to expiring).