Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Outrageous $5000 repair bill after warranty expire!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes I do. That is why you pay a premium. Look at the interior of the car. The knobs, used materials, seats are of much higher quality than a Yugo. Just like you expect it to be. You pay a price you expect a premium product, not only on the outside but on the inside as well. If they put in a part that is inferior to what you expect for such an expensive car than that is on Tesla. Hack, when I bought the car the sales person even said that they expect the car to last 25 years.

In the EU they have legislation on this. There, Tesla would be on the hook for repairing the compressor. Sadly the OP does not live in Europe but it would be a good thing to have these kind of consumer protection laws on this side of the pond as well.
That's not even remotely how it works with premium cars, which is exactly why they depreciate so rapidly, because they're a ticking time bomb once the warranty expires.

The only EU laws I could find along the lines you what you mentioned is a minimum 2 year guarantee. OP was well outside of 2 years.

Who knows, maybe if the i8 powertrain blows up and the FWDs fall of the Model X, I can find somebody to shoehorn the Tesla batteries and motors into the i8 body and have my dream car.

i8 is a dream car. It is so strange that with the i3 and i8 BMW had carbon fiber body construction, electric only and hybrid drive trains, etc. back in 2014. And they just let there technology stagnate. I guess the lure of gas and diesel was too much.

The sign at our local Tesla Service Center announces their shop rate to be $195/hour. I do not know if this is a company-wide rate or not.

The time it took a mobile tech to replace a door handle a couple years ago was close to one hour. The time it took to repair a faulty window motor was over an hour. The 12V battery replacement was about 20 minutes. (These were under warranty.)

We had to have the battery cooling system replaced under warranty three years ago. I recall that the time to do all the work was 4-5 hours. So, the $4,250 extended warranty that I paid will cover 21.8 hours of labor to break even. Put another way, fifteen hours of labor plus $1,325 in parts. We know Tesla parts ain't cheap, either!

I have heard from a number of repair shops, especially body, that Tesla parts are pretty reasonable. The problem is getting them.

FWIW we just had the rear bumper cover replaced on a BMW X3 and the part was $1250, unpainted.This is just the plastic bumper cover that fits over the Styrofoam core.

And $195 is not an extreme rate. I have seen shops charge $200 or more. The liability insurance is really high these days.

Every component in a car has a life expectancy. Some will fail before others. Most manufacturing defects will fail in the warranty period. Yours did not. If we saw a slew of failures you might have an argument, but we do not. It's unfortunate and I feel for you for the extra you had to spend, but understand that this kind of failure can occur with anything mechanical. Mechanical things will fail at some time.

Reactions: jeffro01
That's not even remotely how it works with premium cars, which is exactly why they depreciate so rapidly, because they're a ticking time bomb once the warranty expires.

The only EU laws I could find along the lines you what you mentioned is a minimum 2 year guarantee. OP was well outside of 2 years.

You buy a car for which you have reasonable expectations, not a lottery ticket or a time bomb.

Here is the applicable UK law which is derived from EU regulations.

Consumer Rights Act 2015

Here is some background information. The mentioned law in this article has been replaced by a more stringent Consumer Rights Act of 2015

Faulty goods? You've still got rights when the guarantee runs out

i8 is a dream car. It is so strange that with the i3 and i8 BMW had carbon fiber body construction, electric only and hybrid drive trains, etc. back in 2014. And they just let there technology stagnate. I guess the lure of gas and diesel was too much.
The i8 was a poorly understood vehicle. Most people expected it to have supercar performance, but it was never about pure speed, it was about exotic materials and efficient design. It wasn't the blistering performance people expected from a $150k BMW or a Ludicrous Model S of the same price. People still talk about it like it's a slow car, but it's essentially the same performance as my old V10 M6. Instead of getting 9mpg though, I get 35mpg. I would have loved to see them focus on a pure electric version w/ longer range, but instead people seem more interested in getting a bigger ICE thrown in there.

• Informative
Reactions: Ocelot
You buy a car for which you have reasonable expectations, not a lottery ticket or a time bomb.

Here is the applicable UK law which is derived from EU regulations.

Consumer Rights Act 2015

Here is some background information. The mentioned law in this article has been replaced by a more stringent Consumer Rights Act of 2015

Faulty goods? You've still got rights when the guarantee runs out
What's your solution though? Should Tesla increase the cost of the car by $5k and increase the warranty until 6yr/100k miles? By $10k and go to 8yr/120k? Should they just charge $20k/yr subscription for a car with unlimited warranty?

If they offer a 50k mile warranty, when is it okay for something to break and cost you money? Regardless of where you set the warranty, something is always going to break on the wrong side of it for somebody.

What's your solution though? Should Tesla increase the cost of the car by $5k and increase the warranty until 6yr/100k miles? By $10k and go to 8yr/120k? Should they just charge $20k/yr subscription for a car with unlimited warranty?

If they offer a 50k mile warranty, when is it okay for something to break and cost you money? Regardless of where you set the warranty, something is always going to break on the wrong side of it for somebody.

I don't know. Make a good product I guess. They are already on the hook for things happening in Europe.

I don't know. Make a good product I guess. They are already on the hook for things happening in Europe.

Just watched the latest NextMove video; not looking good at all. It makes Tesla, specifically Tesla US look really bad.
I'm going to hazard a guess and say I have a reasonable idea who must have said "eff them, cancel their deliveries!", merely hours after they reached a mutually-acceptable agreement with Tesla Germany.

The i8 looks like it’s giving birth to a Porsche.

Hard pass.

0AA77C4E-3151-4D2A-95B3-53E467ABD904.jpeg

I love my tesla but I agree there's too much expensive tech that could go wrong so extended warranty for sure if you plan to keep it. Esp since I like everything to work 100%

$5k for A/C is crazy! But even on a honda accord with a similar issue they wanted 2K about 15 yrs ago so I guess it's possible.

I wish they offered one for the 3.

EDIT : Extended warranty on 335i bmw more than paid for itself when the engine seized on the freeway (crankshaft bearing failure!!) and they popped in a remanufactured engine (13K without warranty!) at 5 years and 78K miles (2014 dealer only serviced car) So not just tesla.

Reactions: Guy V and Kenz
I love my tesla but I agree there's too much expensive tech that could go wrong so extended warranty for sure if you plan to keep it. Esp since I like everything to work 100%

I wish they offered one for the 3.

Although Tesla does not have an ESA for Model 3, we do. X-Care was made specifically for the Tesla/EV community. Built by Tesla experts (including former Tesla manager), mirrors Tesla's ESA coverage, half the deductible, claims process works around Tesla's service process so we pay directly to Tesla.

We made this product by partnering up with two of the largest companies in this space (administrator and bank) to guarantee everything. Check us out - this product was made for all of you, help stregthen the Tesla brand, as well as providing products to further mature the EV market.

We have a referral for TMC to get $100 off - "XcelerateTMC"

Whenever buying an extended warranty on a car , ensure it includes the AC, as some do not. My mom had AC fail on a BMW immediately after warranty expired...but BMW did repair it, despite fact did not have to (was 1 month post expiry).

Whenever buying an extended warranty on a car , ensure it includes the AC, as some do not. My mom had AC fail on a BMW immediately after warranty expired...but BMW did repair it, despite fact did not have to (was 1 month post expiry).
When picking an extended warranty, I prefer to look for one with exclusionary coverage, meaning that they cover everything that could go wrong with the vehicle except for a specific list of excluded items. Obvious things like maintenance items are excluded, but they often also exclude things like the entertainment system, rubber seals, internal and external body materials, etc. If you opt for an inclusionary policy, then that relies on you to know the systems of the vehicle that could go wrong and compare that to the list of specific items that they cover.

• Informative
Reactions: Guy V and Ocelot