Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Outside Temperature

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

nate704

Apr 20, 2021
Virginia
The main outside temperature displayed on the center top screen is always 5-12F higher then the actual temperature when comparing with phones, actual thermometer, internet sites, etc.
Is it normal or something that needs to be reported for service?

That's a big delta. I would get it checked.

Ours is pretty consistent with my phone, maybe 1-2 degrees off at most. I just wish it calibrated quicker as it takes a few minutes to acclimate to outside air after I leave the garage. The Model S and previous cars didn't take nearly as long to update outside temp.

Does anyone know where the ambient sensor is located? I am seeing two different locations from the service manual and Parts manual.

From the Service Manual:

1665034877302.png

From the Parts Manual

1665035027627.png
1665035061990.png

Car temperature sensors are pretty close to the road. That helps them detect potential icing situations. However, on sunny days heat will radiate from the pavement, showing as a few degrees higher than the ambient AIR temperature is as reported by weather apps.

EDIT: This will appear worse if stopped / stuck in traffic, and will be closer to normal air temp at highway speeds I would think.

Temp reads my garage temp properly. After about 15-30 minutes of driving, the displayed temp drops precipitously to the accurate ambient temp. I’m taking it in in a week about that and a couple other minor issues.