Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Over the Air Governor - Insurance Savings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TheTalkingMule

Distributed Energy Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Since we're essentially driving by wire here(with radar), why not allow for a voluntary governor program to run in the background in exchange for insurance premium savings? Would a simple speed limiter at 68 mph be enough for significant insurance savings? Would it be considered dangerous?

Other voluntary over the air monitoring that could lead to greater safety and therefore insurance savings?

Never before has there been a vehicle that could report on a driver's activity and relation their environment in such detail. There's gotta be a million things that could be measured or limited.

Dear God, no.

Voluntary can become involuntary very quickly. At first, "voluntary" will get a slight discount, Then, the discount will widen until nobody can afford insurance unless they agree to the insurance company's restrictions, thus making "voluntary" involuntary.

• Informative
Reactions: gabeincal
The capability to do all this has been in many cars for quite some time; the only reason the government hasn't already stepped in to implement this is that it is politically infeasible. There is already the capability, with most cars, to download the last pre-crash computer information about speed, braking, etc., after a crash (usually based on a court order).

No,I think this problem will eventually take care of itself; self-driving cars will be the standard in several years, and they will strictly obey the speed limit...

When I think about solar power and electric vehicles, I think about the reduction or elimination of pollution and utility bills.
When I think about Autopilot, and its implied evolution, I think about the reduction or elimination of injury and liability insurance.
One group of people trying to control the free will of another group of people has historically had less than stellar results.

.... there is no need to govern anything if people could have it both ways...
..like with insurance charges based upon time/location of manual operation of the vehicle.
I'd like to have some track time someday :)
What sort of liability is there if all vehicles are set/required to be autonomous in a given geography?
I think there would be so few (if any) incidents, a manufacturer could easily absorb the costs where no humans are ever involved in navigation. One such company comes to mind as daring enough for such a thing, and not so long from now I would bet.