Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Overcoming range anxiety.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which superchargers have you found full? I'm just curious. I've done several roadtrips up and down the East coast and don't think I've seen any stations at more than 80% capacity before. Usually we are the only car there.

Have to admit, I was surprised myself. The Lumberton, NC supercharger was full, as well as the Savannah, GA location. My wait was extremely short, but all the stalls were full while I was there.. My trip was during the first 2 weeks of August so that may have accounted for the many users.

Also worth noting that the relevant speed number is the relative wind speed, and not the vehicle ground speed - this has been the primary reason for higher-than-planned/projected energy consumption in my (admitted) limited experience.
Yes, indeed. I-10 between Palm Springs and Los Angeles is famous for high winds (Banning Pass had one of the first large wind farms in the world), and westbound you can be driving at a perfectly reasonable speed and still chew through your electrons really fast. Someone had a post about almost not making it to the next supercharger, but I can't recall who or where.

• Funny
Reactions: Snerruc
Have to admit, I was surprised myself. The Lumberton, NC supercharger was full, as well as the Savannah, GA location. My wait was extremely short, but all the stalls were full while I was there.. My trip was during the first 2 weeks of August so that may have accounted for the many users.

Having hit Lumberton at 1am... I would be very happy to see a full supercharger. Safety in numbers! :p

Reactions: Big-Al
However, the new S 60 has a software-limited 75 kW battery in it. Charging the rated battery to 100% is charging the real battery to 80% and owners are reporting the ability to charge to the full 60 kW without the slowdown.
kW and kWh are very different metrics. It's the same as confusing gallons with horsepower. Think of kW = horsepower, kWh = gallons.

If one charges at 1 kW (or 1000 watts) for 6 hours, 6 kWh came out of the wall. If it's at 6 kW for 1 hour, it's also 6 kWh. If it's 1 watt for 6000 hours, it's also 6 kWh.

One pays for electricity at home in cents per kWh. There are a few utilities w/residential plans where they not only bill per kWh but also have demand charges, but that's rare and complicates calculations. (Demand charges aren't unusual on many commercial plans.)

It gets very confusing to mix up units, esp. when people talk about say 90 kW charging RATE vs. 90 kWh capacity batteries.