Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Overheat protection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also keep in mind that sometimes cabin overheat protection fails to kick in even when the temp gets well above the normal set point. Then other times it will kick in when the temp inside the car is nice and comfy. Like many other features on the car it is prone to glitches and malfunctions though I'd say about 90% of the time (in my car) it works as intended.

Also keep in mind that sometimes cabin overheat protection fails to kick in even when the temp gets well above the normal set point. Then other times it will kick in when the temp inside the car is nice and comfy. Like many other features on the car it is prone to glitches and malfunctions though I'd say about 90% of the time (in my car) it works as intended.
Can the overheat protection cause significant battery drain as well?

Can the overheat protection cause significant battery drain as well?
Very rough guessing because I don't park in the sun all day that much. But I would say a ballpark figure is 1-2 mi of range every hour if it's running a fair amount. Less if it's just at the threshold and only running sporadically. So something in the vicininty of having Sentry on. Not a lot, but if parked in the sun all day for 10 hours? It would add up.

I live in MA which is, of course, a lot cooler than AZ most of the time, but I have seen the temp inside my M3 reach 120 degrees when parked in the sun on hot days when the air temperature is in the low 90's. Nevertheless, I never use cabin overheat protection. I've found that the car cools down within a few minutes of getting in it even on those hot days. I'd rather sweat for a few minutes and conserve the battery, the car's range and my hard earned cash. Of course, you can still save if you just turn on the overheat protection a few minutes before getting in the car.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
Very rough guessing because I don't park in the sun all day that much. But I would say a ballpark figure is 1-2 mi of range every hour if it's running a fair amount. Less if it's just at the threshold and only running sporadically. So something in the vicininty of having Sentry on. Not a lot, but if parked in the sun all day for 10 hours? It would add up.
I lose about 1mi/hr. Not a big deal for me most of the time

My fist post! Woohoo!

Reactions: Chisale
Not sure why they have that 12 hour limit. There are days I could use it more.
Do you have a RaspberryPie or a computer running 24h that can run Python? I wrote a Python (actually, I'm currently writing V2 of it) program that monitors the outside temperature and when it gets hot enough, the sky is showing sun and it's 3 hours after sunrise and 3 hours before sunset (otherwise the sun is low enough to not be an issue), it will keep the car awake so COP can do its thing.

Besides having an uncomfortable temperature for the driver and passengers, is there a need to have on overheat protection for the car electronics inside the cabin such as the touch screen? If there will be no harm to that or say the seats and such, then I will leave it off.

Besides having an uncomfortable temperature for the driver and passengers, is there a need to have on overheat protection for the car electronics inside the cabin such as the touch screen? If there will be no harm to that or say the seats and such, then I will leave it off.
No, there's no need. Overheat protection is to protect against a situation where child or pet is forgotten in the car, not to protect the car itself.

Because unlike some of the other posters, I believe it WILL have a positive effect on the longevity of the electronics and interior.

I second this.

Plus it's nice to not get into a hot car after it's parked for 8 hours while it's 100+ degree

Also the back of the touch screen while the car is on is always hot, which make sense because I have AMD and they run hot. Not sure about Intel chipped cars.