Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

overnight weekend trip from Cincinnati to Indianapolis

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Indianapolis has a fair amount of level 2 chargers installed as compared to other major cities within a one charge range of Cincinnati. It also has a great children's museum. We spent the weekend visiting. Here is our saga on trying to get an overnight charge.

Before check-in at the Embassy Suites downtown, we visited the street level chargers near the Omni. Both were blocked and closed by the city for unknown reasons. We then went to the mall garage and tried the Chargepoint chargers. We did not have a fob so we called the number. After taking our info the rep could not get the charger started as they had a router error. (According to the app, all paid Chargepoints were down within the 465 loop.) We then looked for a 110v plug in the Embassy parking garage. It had none. We then tried a paid IPL charger about 1/2 mile from the hotel. Again, calling the number on the charger the rep could not get it to start. Strike four. We parked the car at the hotel with out plugging in that night.

The noise at the Embassy that night was so bad we decided in the morning to switch hotels to the Sheraton in the north which is connected to the Fashion Mall and Tesla store/chargers. That day we visited the Children's Museum and found a free level II charger about 1/2 mile away at the Carson Center office building that worked. This is ~4 miles from downtown. If we had to we could have left the car and walked to the museum.

The stay at the Sheraton was uneventful and was a quick 1 minute walk to the tesla chargers in the mall garage which of course worked fine.

It would be better off if the entities made these level 2 chargers free until there was infrastructure in place to maintain the routers/payment processing.

Yes, there are 6 HPWC in the Fashion Mall Garage which is what we resorted to. We don't have dual chargers in the car. So the output was 208v/40amp. ~25 mph charge. It worked fine for an overnight charge.

We prefer to stay downtown but might have to rethink this plan until the infrastructure of level 2 chargers is more reliable.

Thanks, Rifleman. We are in Covington and have a 14-50 so the same goes for you if you ever need it. It's listed on plugshare.

Sorry to hear about all your drama. I have traveled to the Fashion Mall many times in my S. They have two J1772 chargers also. I am glad to here that you were able to use the HPWC. Do they keep a few open for visiting Teslas or did you call and ask to charge?

The one time I stayed overnight in Indy was before they had a Tesla store. I stayed at the Embassy Suites downtown as well, and used the IPL charger in a garage a few blocks away.

I used Riflemans 14-50 for about half an hour one day on my way back from a day trip. Thanks again Rifleman! I'm still kinda mad that I couldn't make the round trip on one charge, which was the main reason I got an 85. I haven't tried it since sleep mode was introduced, so I may be adventurous and try it again on my next trip.

Also, welcome to the club! I'm excited to know of another owner in Northern KY. Send me a PM if you want to get together and chat Tesla one day!