Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Overspray" spots on 2020 M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Just about a week ago, I took delivery of a 2020 M3, and in addition to numerous small scratches and abrasions in the clear, there are these weird small "cloudy" areas on the hood, two of them. They look sort of like areas where it's been scuffed, but it feels totally smooth. The car wash/detail guy I hire to come wash cars thinks they are clear coat overspray, and that Tesla will be able to solve them with relative ease when they do a full paint correction/detail in three weeks, providing they do a full clay and polish.

I'm really sorry for the quality of these images, it seems to be the best I can get from my phone. The areas I'm talking about are a couple of inches across, and relatively in the center of each image.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone here has experienced this, and also if they think it is correctable. I'm feeling a sinking feeling in my stomach that I made a mistake accepting the car, but frankly I didn't notice these spots until I got the car home that day.

Thanks in advance for any advice or perspective!
IMG_1426.jpg
IMG_1427.jpg

Yes, those cloudy areas and any swirl/scuff marks can easily be removed, IF (and this is a big if) your local Tesla service center has people with the know-how and tools to get the job done. Usually, a light non-aggressive polishing should be enough to correct the finish on new vehicles that are sitting on a dealer's lot.

When I took delivery of my vehicle, I specifically told my Tesla adviser to NOT perform any type of cleaning/detailing work on the paint other than a light wash with soap & water. I was going to have my vehicle fully wrapped with PPF and ceramic coated... so, I knew the detail shop I chose was doing to do a much better job on paint correction than any car dealer.

Most professional detail shops will say that dealers often cause more harm than good when they try to detail a vehicle.
So, the pros always prefer to work on vehicles that have not been "detailed" by the car dealer.

Good luck and don't sweat it. The paint/finish on your car can easily be made to look pristine!!

Reactions: politemusic
Yes, those cloudy areas and any swirl/scuff marks can easily be removed, IF (and this is a big if) your local Tesla service center has people with the know-how and tools to get the job done. Usually, a light non-aggressive polishing should be enough to correct the finish on new vehicles that are sitting on a dealer's lot.

When I took delivery of my vehicle, I specifically told my Tesla adviser to NOT perform any type of cleaning/detailing work on the paint other than a light wash with soap & water. I was going to have my vehicle fully wrapped with PPF and ceramic coated... so, I knew the detail shop I chose was doing to do a much better job on paint correction than any car dealer.

Most professional detail shops will say that dealers often cause more harm than good when they try to detail a vehicle.
So, the pros always prefer to work on vehicles that have not been "detailed" by the car dealer.

Good luck and don't sweat it. The paint/finish on your car can easily be made to look pristine!!

Hugely appreciated! This is very reassuring, and makes a lot of sense. Thank you!