Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oversteer Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a touch of oversteer earlier as I was pulling out of a bend and I’m not sure if I corrected it, the car corrected or it just corrected itself once I gained some traction.

I’ve never had a RWD car before so is this a common likelihood? The road wasn’t wet. I was probably going off after the bend a touch quick but was quite surprised how easy the back slid out.

Is it likely the car corrected this? I recall Elon mentioning the car has this as a safety function.

I noticed a little more twitchy behaviour this evening. I have AWD and suspect a little traction control happened automagically. I think simply cooler damp roads and so much low speed torque makes this more likely than previous ICE cars I've had.

I had a touch of oversteer earlier as I was pulling out of a bend and I’m not sure if I corrected it, the car corrected or it just corrected itself once I gained some traction.

I’ve never had a RWD car before so is this a common likelihood? The road wasn’t wet. I was probably going off after the bend a touch quick but was quite surprised how easy the back slid out.

Is it likely the car corrected this? I recall Elon mentioning the car has this as a safety function.

The car corrected it - that's what it does. It's surprisingly rare that the tail moves. If you have never driven a rear wheel drive car with a fair bit of power before ... this just saved you from requiring a change of underwear!

• Funny
Reactions: Yev000 and -DB-
Get below 7C and a rear wheel drive car gets twitchy, get to around 3C and it will oversteer quite easily on summer tyres. That’s my experience from a BMW anyway and I can’t imagine the throttle or braking nature of a Tesla RWD would be very helpful in this situation

I noticed a little more twitchy behaviour this evening. I have AWD and suspect a little traction control happened automagically. I think simply cooler damp roads and so much low speed torque makes this more likely than previous ICE cars I've had.

Temperatures are now out of range for summer tyres. There's a lot of torque being managed.

Would the car typically be correcting this? On previous cars you get the warning of lost traction. I didn’t see anything appear on the screen.

If you were looking at the screen when it happened then you would have seen it! There's no way anybody looks at the screen when the back steps out ... if you do I'd rather not be your passenger!

I can imagine it is easy to put back end out in an SR especially in the conditions we had this morning and are going to have. you wait till the leaves really drop off the trees in the next few weeks, gritting the roads makes them very slippery too..

Would the car typically be correcting this? On previous cars you get the warning of lost traction. I didn’t see anything appear on the screen.

All modern cars have to have electronic stability control (ESC) & ABS, and most will also have traction control.

These are powerful cars and without electronic assistance they'd happily kick the back end out even on a warm dry day,

Take a look at the various youtube "fail" videos of supercar drivesr tryig to show off.

So are the SR+ Tyres considered summer tyres? I thought they were all rounders with the AWD and performance having summer tyres?

In the UK we have traditionally only considered one tyre choice. These would nowadays be regarded as "summer tyres". The relatively mild climate has meant that we could get away with using them all year round. In more recent years we have specific characteristics of tyre that broadly fall into "summer", "winter" and "all season". I don't think Tesla is any different to any other brand in the UK in choosing to fit summer tyres as standard. (Maybe some SUVs come with a "all season" or have that as an option ... I'm just guessing on that one!)

So why have things moved on with regards to tyres? (you really don't need to read the following .. most people will know this ..)

In days of yore we drove low powered vehicles with skinny tyres and lots of sidewall. We generally had more space around us too ... because of smaller cars and much fewer on the roads.. always useful in winter conditions. Those skinny tyres worked surprisingly well in winter. They cut through snow and slush much better than a modern proportioned tyre and the extra sidewall allowed the tyre to deform to take account of the road surface even if the rubber compound was less than ideal. (In terms of skinny tyres just check out the widths used even on modern rally cars ... depending on the stage surface they are often narrower than the equivalent road car.) In serious winter conditions we had "snow tyres" but unlike the modern winter tyre (which is also great in snow) it got it's performance mostly through big chunky tread. They were very rarely fitted.

The other difference is the power being put down by modern vehicles. Those skinny old tyres I just described would be immediately overwhelmed and just wouldn't work the same. Our heavier powerful cars need a bigger contact patch and this is achieved by a bigger diameter and width of the wheel/tyre combination. The low sidewall gives more control of the tyre contact patch but we now depend even more on how the rubber itself performs. The rubber compound of a summer tyre that is harder at low temperatures becomes more of an issue and great advantage can be had by matching the compound to the temperature. The science of tyres has developed over the years and manufacturers can now offer excellent tyres that can work well in the winter ... but in the UK (for good reason) we have been reluctant to take this on, mainly due to cost but also because of the variability of our winter weather ... it often doesn't seem worth it. Another huge aspect that is often overlooked is that wheels and tyres are now fashion items! Big wide wheels "look cool" ... but in truth, on variable surfaces, and particularly in winter, we could all do with a bit more sidewall and a bit less width... but see what your insurance company thinks of you changing from standard (even though you just made your car safer)!

Plenty of cars fitted as standard with tyres considered as just a tyre - Ie what some may classify as ‘all season’

Though we are used to referring to "just a tyre" in the UK there is a distinction between an "all season" tyre and a "summer" tyre. It's worth knowing which you have. For people buying performance versions of vehicles they clearly want the best performance ... and an "all season" tyre does not give the very best performance in summer or in winter. It gives a very sensible compromise that would be suited to UK conditions 99% of the time so is probably the sensible choice. But then people buying performance vehicles are unlikely to be happy knowing that they don't have the best tyres for their vehicle. Any skilled driver can get through a UK winter with summer tyres with care ... we've been doing it for years ... but the hassle and expense of fitting summers and winters undoubtably gives the best performance and safety.

but see what your insurance company thinks of you changing from standard (even though you just made your car safer)!

I tried having that conversation with my insurer.
Me: I'm a responsible driver and would like to fit a set of aftermarket alloys with winter tyres. The tyres are the correct size for my car. The wheels are TUV approved for my vehicle as winter alloys, correctly sized for my vehicle and worth less than the factory alloys (less desirable too imo).

Insurer: NO MODS!!!! :mad:

In the UK we have traditionally only considered one tyre choice. These would nowadays be regarded as "summer tyres". The relatively mild climate has meant that we could get away with using them all year round. In more recent years we have specific characteristics of tyre that broadly fall into "summer", "winter" and "all season". I don't think Tesla is any different to any other brand in the UK in choosing to fit summer tyres as standard. (Maybe some SUVs come with a "all season" or have that as an option ... I'm just guessing on that one!)

So why have things moved on with regards to tyres? (you really don't need to read the following .. most people will know this ..)

In days of yore we drove low powered vehicles with skinny tyres and lots of sidewall. We generally had more space around us too ... because of smaller cars and much fewer on the roads.. always useful in winter conditions. Those skinny tyres worked surprisingly well in winter. They cut through snow and slush much better than a modern proportioned tyre and the extra sidewall allowed the tyre to deform to take account of the road surface even if the rubber compound was less than ideal. (In terms of skinny tyres just check out the widths used even on modern rally cars ... depending on the stage surface they are often narrower than the equivalent road car.) In serious winter conditions we had "snow tyres" but unlike the modern winter tyre (which is also great in snow) it got it's performance mostly through big chunky tread. They were very rarely fitted.

The other difference is the power being put down by modern vehicles. Those skinny old tyres I just described would be immediately overwhelmed and just wouldn't work the same. Our heavier powerful cars need a bigger contact patch and this is achieved by a bigger diameter and width of the wheel/tyre combination. The low sidewall gives more control of the tyre contact patch but we now depend even more on how the rubber itself performs. The rubber compound of a summer tyre that is harder at low temperatures becomes more of an issue and great advantage can be had by matching the compound to the temperature. The science of tyres has developed over the years and manufacturers can now offer excellent tyres that can work well in the winter ... but in the UK (for good reason) we have been reluctant to take this on, mainly due to cost but also because of the variability of our winter weather ... it often doesn't seem worth it. Another huge aspect that is often overlooked is that wheels and tyres are now fashion items! Big wide wheels "look cool" ... but in truth, on variable surfaces, and particularly in winter, we could all do with a bit more sidewall and a bit less width... but see what your insurance company thinks of you changing from standard (even though you just made your car safer)!
I once ignored a slightly ambiguous road sign at the bottom of a Scottish hill as snow began to fall (I think it was the A7 north out of Galashiels) whilst doing deliveries in a Citroen VISA van back in the early 90s. At the crest of the hill a policeman in a 4x4 looked at me in disbelief, asked me how the hell I managed it and said ’you might as well carry on!’ Then he noticed the skinny tyres that were like pram wheels and said that it was having these that had allowed me to get there where others would be in a ditch.

so yeah. I get all the above and can concur. ;-)

I tried having that conversation with my insurer.
Me: I'm a responsible driver and would like to fit a set of aftermarket alloys with winter tyres. The tyres are the correct size for my car. The wheels are TUV approved for my vehicle as winter alloys, correctly sized for my vehicle and worth less than the factory alloys (less desirable too imo).

Insurer: NO MODS!!!! :mad:

Note, this applies same rims, private/personal policy only. Which is why I went for full Tesla winter set

Please note that this Commitment only applies to cars used for personal use that are insured under a private or personal use car insurance policy.

The commitment of insurers:
The insurers named below do not require the payment of any additional premium if customers decide to fit winter tyres to their cars, provided that the tyres meet, and are fitted in accordance with, the relevant vehicle manufacturers’ specifications and are in a roadworthy condition whilst in use.

Winter tyres | Motor insurance | ABI
links to
https://www.abi.org.uk/globalassets...-driving---the-motor-insurance-commitment.pdf

At the crest of the hill a policeman in a 4x4 looked at me in disbelief, asked me how the hell I managed it and said ’you might as well carry on!’ Then he noticed the skinny tyres that were like pram wheels and said that it was having these that had allowed me to get there where others would be in a ditch.

Back in the early 90s I had a second hand Corsa with skinny "summer" tyres ... it was amazing in the snow! ... I used to purposely choose challenging routes home if it was snowing! I once came to a gradient which had a Nissan 4X4 stuck part way up, I didn't want to lose momentum and I just drove past without drama, stopped at the crest and walked back to ask the two guys if they were having problems with their 4 wheel drive system and if they wanted any help! They were pretty grumpy!

• Funny
Reactions: jimbo_hippo
Note, this applies same rims, private/personal policy only. Which is why I went for full Tesla winter set
I agree - if you're keeping the car for a few years the additional cost of buying original wheels beats the savings + hassle of aftermarket wheels.

Thanks for that ABI info, I remember the fuss a few years back when winter tyres were becoming more common.

Reactions: MrBadger