Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OVMS blocked on low-cost AT&T plans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, but only over a data (GPRS) connection. Incoming unrecognised SMS messages will appear as a push notification on your smartphone.

Catch 22.

Arghh!:mad:
Enabling GPRS means it's constantly attempting to make a connection, but can't, almost everywhere I go. So it's always in red error mode. At least SMS works at most locations.

Looking forward to the version that will connect to WiFi when no GPRS connection is available.

Thanks to some tech support from Mark via email, I'm back in business! I had to update the iPhone app settings on my phone. Then I sent an SMS reset command (as Tom suggested in his initial write up), then relaunched the app.

I am officially online with H2O.

Still can't pair the SIM with my online account though. I need to receive that verification code somehow. Guess I'll have to find an unlocked phone for cheap or free.

- - - Updated - - -

Got the SIM paired to my online account! Now that things are setup correctly, I just started getting text messages sent to the SIM/OVMS module as notifications and was able to complete the setup!

I ran through $4 of my initial $10 setting up and troubleshooting via SMS, but I anticipate usage will be much more reasonable from this point forward.

Is anyone still experiencing this. My app stopped working on 11/17 but SMS functionality remains?

Just found this thread because I'm now 14 days without app responsiveness. SMS continues to work. my OVMS GPRS? request comes back with:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]GSM:AT&T[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]GSM/GPRS: not connected (0x0042)

Has anyone seen theirs come back to life, or does it remain out? I'm wondering if this is a permanent problem/block now, and if there's any way around it...
[/FONT]

- - - Updated - - -

Just found this thread because I'm now 14 days without app responsiveness. SMS continues to work. my OVMS GPRS? request comes back with:

GSM:AT&T
GSM/GPRS: not connected (0x0042)

Has anyone seen theirs come back to life, or does it remain out? I'm wondering if this is a permanent problem/block now, and if there's any way around it...

Never mind, I missed a few messages along the way in this thread and think I'll try the H2O solution.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]GSM:AT&T[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]GSM/GPRS: not connected (0x0042)

[/FONT]
Nope. I'm also down 14 days.

Just using SMS until my $ and time are up in January, then I will switch to H2O (already bought the card off Amazon).

I live in Norway and I haven't received push notifications since October 22. The APP works and i get a Live symbol, I get SMS messages if i use SMSIP. I have tried different SIM's from different carriers and installed the APP on different Android devices. I have send't a mail to support (at) ovms, to check if he could see if anything is coming in on the server, but I haven't gotten any answer back yet. If i connect to the com port I can see something coming out of the module when I trigger something that should generate a push notification.
Is there anything else I can try before giving up?

After chatting with an AT&T rep, I was told I can get my money refunded by visiting an AT&T store with my OVMS in hand. They will exam the device and refund my money as the device is no longer supported! Crazy. I have not tried yet as the nearest store is some 60 miles away but plan to soon.

AT&T refunded my full balance today. Took about 1/2 hr as they tried to figure out how to do it.

Just got my h2o chip. Thanks to Tom for the write up, all went well. So with h2o, do we set the OVMS module to GSM only or gprs? Thus far I get the following response from a GPRS? query:

APN:att.mvno
User:
Password:
GSM:AT&T
GSM/GPRS: Not connected (0x0022)

FCC Complaint Regarding AT&T

The more I thought about this situation, the more irritated I became at AT&T's action blocking OVMS content on their PayGo plans.

To me, the essence of the FCC"s recent net neutrality action is that data is neutral and should not be blocked based upon content. While I note that there appears to be an alternative service from H2O, that service if I read correctly is an AT&T reseller so the same content blocking could take place in the future even if I go through the trouble of switching.

I discussed the AT&T actions with the FCC Ombudsperson to affirm that I was not completely off-base with my evaluation of AT&T's actions. After this discussion, I proceeded on December 8, 2015 with filing an FCC complaint, a copy of which I have posted at this link: View attachment FCC_Complaint.pdf.

The FCC immediately forwarded the complaint to AT&T on the same day: View attachment FCC_Complaint_Email.pdf.

AT&T shortly thereafter on that same day sent me what I assume is an automated email even though it appear to be a personal message: View attachment AT&T_Email.pdf. I responded by email stating that I welcomed a telephone call on the matter. I have not yet received a call from AT&T despite what its email to me stated.

AT&T has 30 days (until January 7, 2016) to respond. I have no idea what will be its response.

I am told by the FCC Ombudsperson that it does not hurt if others who are similarly affected by AT&T's actions likewise file complaints with the FCC. A complaint may be filed at FCC Complaints. Click on "Internet-File Complaint" and then click on "Open Internet/Net Neutrality" as the Internet Issue. The FCC complaint web form is self-explanatory and allows for exhibits to be uploaded. I uploaded several months of my AT&T statements from my GoPhone plan showing daily data service until November 17th when AT&T cut off the OVMS data content.

I have no illusions that any relief in restoring the transmission of the OVMS data content is either certain or justified. The FCC's jurisdiction over wireless carriers in the non-blocking of data content under net neutrality is, in particular, uncertain in its scope and is now being appealed. In full disclosure, I have represented broadcast station clients before the FCC for over 30 years. Before that I worked at the FCC.

I also see a larger issue here. I view the issue of wireless providers failing to provide low-data-volume reasonable-cost data plans as stifling to the innovation and development of small business products and services, particularly in the Internet of Things (IoT) area. It appears that large entities like Amazon with its Kindle and car manufacturers can make arrangements for low-volume-data to and from individual devices at a reasonable cost. Such arrangements are largely unavailable to small businesses and consumers, and this unavailability is illustrated by AT&T's action in blocking OVMS data content.

I will let you know what happens next. If you file an FCC complaint on this issue, please let me know by PM or a reply message here. Thank you.

Last edited:
I spent an hour on the phone with AT&T trying to get a refund for my $83 balance I still have on my GoPhone account. At first they refused. I then got to a "supervisor" who said they would submit my request and if approved I could receive a check. Who knows if it will be "approved."

I have been out to lunch on this entire situation. I don't look at my OVMS much--just let it open my gate and garage door when I drive home each day. And that function still works fine. Over last weekend I learned that Tom Saxon was trying to update data on Roadsters--ideal miles after a standard and after a range charge and the CAC, so I looked at the OVMS. Hmmm... no connection for 26 days!

I emailed Smorgasbord and he told me about this thread (thank you!) --exactly what I am going through.

So, I already have an account for my iPhone with Consumer Cellular and it works great. Half the cost of ATT--I switched about 9 months ago. What would be the pros and cons of switching to Consumer Cellular vs. H20?

I have a Consumer Cellular account and have recently added a line for OVMS. The biggest pro for me is everything under one roof so I don't need to check balances etc in more than one place. It will cost a bit more than the H2O plan.

Thanks for the input. I will check with Consumer Cellular and see what the scoop is. I ordered my H2O SIM card today, but I am only out $0.01 if I don't use it!