Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OVMS Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK... Looks like AT&T disables access to GPRS when the credit balance falls below $5... As a result, I couldn't connect the car to the Internet.

Yes, that is very common. Think of GPRS like a VPN connection. Cellular providers seems to authenticate it (and allow/disallow) when it connects, but have no way of tearing down a connection once established. So, they impose a dollar limit at the GPRS connection authentication time (hoping you can't use up more than that dollar amount on a single connection, given their shoddy cellular coverage will drop the connection at some point anyway).

Value of $5 or $6 are commonly used.

OK... Looks like AT&T disables access to GPRS when the credit balance falls below $5... As a result, I couldn't connect the car to the Internet. I just added the credit, and am waiting for the better half to get home so that I can re-install and test.

Will update later.

That did it... Got the app working just fine. Need to go ahead and tuck everything in nicely and complete the install. Everything is working great now...

That did it... Got the app working just fine. Need to go ahead and tuck everything in nicely and complete the install. Everything is working great now...

Ok... Install complete with lessons learned. Wrote a post on my formerly ActiveE blog, now have to figure out a new name for it as it will soon be outnumbered 2:1 by Teslas and then replaced by a Roadster and Model S...

Thanks for the OVMS community for making such a great solution to bring the Roadster inline with the rest of the EVs out there. (not quite with the Ford Focus Electric from what I'm hearing regarding the iOS 7 incompatibility of their App). By the way, based on what I read on the manual, I would assume that the Speedometer hack only works with Roadster 2.x and not on 1.5?

Thanks,

Yes, that is very common. Think of GPRS like a VPN connection. Cellular providers seems to authenticate it (and allow/disallow) when it connects, but have no way of tearing down a connection once established. So, they impose a dollar limit at the GPRS connection authentication time (hoping you can't use up more than that dollar amount on a single connection, given their shoddy cellular coverage will drop the connection at some point anyway).

Value of $5 or $6 are commonly used.

Ok...

I noticed that the IOS App had a RED Antenna for 9 hours (just now) and the following was the result of the GPRS?

GPRS: APN:WAP.CINGULAR User: Password: GSM:AT&T GSM: OK Server: Not connected

I checked the balance on my account and I have $9.82 and was told when I originally had the problem of connectivity that the threshhold was $5 before they disable GPRS.

So, any ideas? Is the server down? Car has been parked for five days.

Ok...

I noticed that the IOS App had a RED Antenna for 9 hours (just now) and the following was the result of the GPRS?

I checked the balance on my account and I have $9.82 and was told when I originally had the problem of connectivity that the threshhold was $5 before they disable GPRS.

I'm having the same issue and just e-mailed Mark. I imagine it's on the server side. It was working just fine last night and when I woke up this morning I was getting the blinking red antenna.

I'm sure Mark will chime in when he's available.

I'm having the same issue and just e-mailed Mark. I imagine it's on the server side. It was working just fine last night and when I woke up this morning I was getting the blinking red antenna.

I'm sure Mark will chime in when he's available.

That sounds reasonable. I've been playing around with my initial $20 (two $10 recharges) before I commit to $100 recharge to keep it active for a year. Funny enough I was getting ready to do a post on my blog comparing my delightful OVMS experience and My BMW App for my Active E... So, this just helps with further content stuff for me.

Ok...

My connection is down too but, more importantly...FIVE DAYS WITHOUT DRIVING THE ROADSTER? :scared:

My connection is down too but, more importantly...FIVE DAYS WITHOUT DRIVING THE ROADSTER? :scared:

Wife's car... We were in Austin for a wedding Friday to Sunday... There was rain Monday and Tuesday (she doesn't like to get her car wet). Additionally, I've been driving her around (carpooling, still no HOV stickers on her Roadster) to work so she can make it to the office in time for a couple of early morning meetings... The Active E is plenty fun and sometimes I don't feel like being a contortionist to get in the car (and I get to use the carpool lane solo).

Strange. I just checked the server and everything running fine there. Not getting any alerts from pingdom either.

A good way to answer 'car or server problem?' Is to try the demo car (DEMO/DEMO) - if you can access the demo car, then the server is ok.

Is this still down for people, or ok now? If still down, can you let me know your cellular provider?

Strange. I just checked the server and everything running fine there. Not getting any alerts from pingdom either.

A good way to answer 'car or server problem?' Is to try the demo car (DEMO/DEMO) - if you can access the demo car, then the server is ok.

Is this still down for people, or ok now? If still down, can you let me know your cellular provider?

Live now... Just checked.

OVMS? = GPRS: APN:WAP.CINGULAR User: Password: GSM:AT&T GPRS: OK Server: Connected OK

Thanks,

Hello,

I just started installing my OVMS and I'm getting all of the proper SMS responses but I can't seem to get the GPRS to connect.
Since I just bought it, the firmware is pretty much up to date for the roadster: 2.5.5./TR/V2.

I'm in Canada and using a Rogers SIM pay-as-you-go for which I ordered a week data pass of 60MB using my phone to validate that data worked.
When I type GPRS?, I get the following response back from OVMS:
GPRS:
APN:internet.com
User:wapuser1
Password:wap
GSM:ROGERS
GSM/GPRS:Not connected (0x0042)

The APN/user/password is as described on page 1 of this thread. I've also tried an all uppercase version of the entries with no success.
Any idea what 0x0042 means?
I'm also getting 5 greens and 8 red LED flashes...which points to GPRS Init...but that I'm kind of already aware through this error code.

Also, when I re-enter all the parameter with the GPRS command, the error codes reads as follows instead: (0x0042AT+CIPSHUT)

Thx

Last edited:
Hello,

I just started installing my OVMS and I'm getting all of the proper SMS responses but I can't seem to get the GPRS to connect.
Since I just bought it, the firmware is pretty much up to date for the roadster: 2.5.5./TR/V2.

I'm in Canada and using a Rogers SIM pay-as-you-go for which I ordered a week data pass of 60MB using my phone to validate that data worked.
When I type GPRS?, I get the following response back from OVMS:
GPRS:
APN:internet.com
User:wapuser1
Password:wap
GSM:ROGERS
GSM/GPRS:Not connected (0x0042)

The APN/user/password is as described on page 1 of this thread. I've also tried an all uppercase version of the entries with no success.
Any idea what 0x0042 means?
I'm also getting 5 greens and 8 red LED flashes...which points to GPRS Init...but that I'm kind of already aware through this error code.

Also, when I re-enter all the parameter with the GPRS command, the error codes reads as follows instead: (0x0042AT+CIPSHUT)

Thx

Hi Roadrunner,

I have had my OVMS model installed for over 2 years and running on the Rogers network. I really had no issues setting it up by using the supplied user manual and following all the steps. I have looked at my parameters that are set and they all seem to be identical to what you have listed above (APN, Network user, pw etc). The only difference is mine come back as all uppercase but I doubt that makes a difference and you say you tried it with uppercase anyway. Maybe someone will know what that error code means.

On another point, what is a week data pass for 60MB? I do not know this plan with Rogers but from the title it sounds like something that is good for a week and then auto-renews. If so, there is really no need for that much data every week. I am using a Rogers sim for tablets that scales up as you need it and basically has 10MB for 7.83$ every month including all taxes. I have never exceeded the limit and use the app regularly. You might want to look into that. contact me if you need more info.

I just started installing my OVMS and I'm getting all of the proper SMS responses but I can't seem to get the GPRS to connect
Do you have the GPRS switch on the board in the right position? If the switch is in the position nearest the edge of the board, it disables GPRS, so make sure it's slid away from the edge.

Also, do a MODULE? command to make sure your notification mode is SMSIP.

Last edited:

Best to contact support (at) openvehicles (dot) com, and give us the output of the following SMS messages:

MODULE?
SERVER?
GPRS?
DIAG
STAT

I would also suggest triple-checking all usernames and passwords.

Regards, Mark.