Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OVMS Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question:
How can I enable the OVMS to use its own GPS antenna (I have one attached) rather than try to use the one on the Tesla? My 3G/GPS box is not present (and I prefer to keep it that way) and I'd love to have this feature without it.

If you have two garage doors how do you keep OVMS from opening both when you pull up? Both are programmed into my VDS now. I have two buttons to choose from. auto feature very nice but is there a way to open only one of the doors?

You tell OVMS which one you want opened.

It actually uses the car's home link, so works the same way. The only differences are the ability to automatically activate homelink based on location, and we are more aggressive with the duration of the transmission (so you can press as you get close and it will open when you get in range).

image.jpg

I hooked up my new OVMS and things seemed to go pretty smoothly. SMS messages are answered properly, connected to server, SMS feature answers querys BUT the OVSM is not reading and data from the CAN BUS. ..... No data back from car. It states that SOC is 0% and SMS commands only respond with "xxx requested" but no confirmation or action. It seems that power is all it is getting from the car. Must have something messed up.

Text messaging does not allow any control of features even though feature 15 is set to 1 for writing to CAN BUS.

GPS tells me I'm someplace in the UK!

Please help

Last edited:
We'll new development"...........
SMS requests are now met with "permission denied"
The IPhone app no longer connects to OVMS (gray antenna)
At the website on the Register an Open Vehicle page I get a big red

" NOTICE: undefined property::stdClass::$error in SMS _ simplegateway_send() (line242of/store/database/www/open vehicle/sites/all/modules/sms_simplegateway/SMS_simplegateway.module).

Ideas? I had the IP address set to the new one listed on this thread and parameter set for TR

Maybe I should start over???

Oh the OVMS is blinking green six times and then the red one comes on for about 15 seconds, then green starts a sequence of three episodes of six blinks, then red comes on again

I got my new v2 hardware and followed smorgasbord's import/export instructions but couldn't see it from my phone app. I redid the import/export 3 times double-checking everything. I then tried to SMS the v2 module and it responded just fine. I then had to look at the installation PDF to see if I overlooked something (who reads instructions?) Low and behold there's the GPRS hardware switch and it was set to disabled. Doh! Darn switch!

We'll new development"...........
SMS requests are now met with "permission denied"
The IPhone app no longer connects to OVMS (gray antenna)
At the website on the Register an Open Vehicle page I get a big red

" NOTICE: undefined property::stdClass::$error in SMS _ simplegateway_send() (line242of/store/database/www/open vehicle/sites/all/modules/sms_simplegateway/SMS_simplegateway.module).

Ideas? I had the IP address set to the new one listed on this thread and parameter set for TR

Maybe I should start over???

Oh the OVMS is blinking green six times and then the red one comes on for about 15 seconds, then green starts a sequence of three episodes of six blinks, then red comes on again

Probably best to discuss at support (at) openvehicles (dot) com, so I can help quicker.

The issue is most likely that you are switching between the web site SMS provisioning system, and your own phone SMS. That is messing with the registered phone (particularly if you specified "1.3.5 or earlier" as the firmware version (as changing the registered phone number if the only way to SMS provision from the website with that older version of firmware).

From your phone, I suggest you use the "REGISTER <PASSWORD>" command (with the module password) to re-register you phone. You should then be able to try the other commands without getting "permission denied".

How do I find out what firmware i have. I just got the OVMS last week. It was in the latest batch that started shipping late last month. Thought it might have the latest firmware
Thanks for the suggestions you gave. I will try again tonight. I just was surprised that the device was connected to the cell network for about one day with no problems sending and receiving SMS from the device. It just was not reading the CAN BUS and no information from car getting thru. @DrComputer .... yes I missed the switch at first also.I figured out I had that wrong when SMS was working but no iPhone connection. Flipped the switch and iPhone connected but again no data.

Then catastrophy(sp?)......... OVMS just lost all connection to cell tower and iPhone like something turned off. I thought at first that the aliens had shot down the satellites before Zombie Apocolypse but my wife called me from work to tell me to quit playing with my car . Then I knew it was limited to the device!

How do I find out what firmware i have. I just got the OVMS last week. It was in the latest batch that started shipping late last month. Thought it might have the latest firmware.

When you plug in the module, it will blink the firmware version to you. Probably 2.6.something. If you just got it, it will be the latest generic production firmware.

.......of course.... I read that in the PDF Installation manuel.....Doh!
I really like the functionality and interface the OVMS provides. I have used the Tesla Tattler for the last three years and like to control aspects of charging and battery care. The graphic aspect on the iphone is new and exciting.:cool:

Well, the latest step in my saga to switch to h2o is that I finally got the h2o SIM, got it activated with money on it, installed it into the OVMS module, and when it starts up it gives me 10 green blinks, then 10 green with 2 red (cannot communicate with modem), then it just keeps blinking out 6 green lights three times in a row (COPS Initialization), then goes solid red and green for several seconds (seems to be a reboot or something?), then blinks 6 green again 3 more times, etc. One time I saw it blink 4 lights (GPRS APN is OK), but that's as far as it got. I disconnected the antenna and reconnected it and got 5 green with 7 red (GPRS network initialization, error during GPRS initialization (might be temp related)), but it soon reverted to the 6 blink/reboot pattern so I think that 7 red was just temporary confusion. I will be testing this all again tonight, though, when it cools down, in case it wasn't anomalous (very hot day here).

I have the newest firmware (2.6.5 TR version, updated with pickit) and the GPRS switch inside the module is pushed away from the LEDs. The antenna is connected properly, it seems, as I've tried reconnecting it a few times. My car was previously configured for AT&T and now I'm on H2O, so I would imagine some sort of settings need to be changed, but I'm not sure how to do that without the car having cell service? I logged into my account on the OVMS website and changed my car's phone number to the correct new one, under the "OVMS Vehicle Telephone Number" field in the vehicles -> change vehicle heading. I also filled out all the "SMS provisioning" as best I could, using att.mvno as the APN setting (which I think is right for h2o), but it doesn't seem to be saving the information on the site after I fill it out and click back through to that page.

So, does this just mean my cell service is too poor or something? It should have coverage here, I did make a call with the new SIM on a normal phone when checking to see that it was activated. Or do I need to buy a new antenna, or a new OVMS unit entirely? :-/ Or is there hopefully something very simple I've missed?

Well, the latest step in my saga to switch to h2o is that I finally got the h2o SIM, got it activated with money on it, installed it into the OVMS module, and when it starts up it gives me 10 green blinks, then 10 green with 2 red (cannot communicate with modem), then it just keeps blinking out 6 green lights three times in a row (COPS Initialization), then goes solid red and green for several seconds (seems to be a reboot or something?), then blinks 6 green again 3 more times, etc. One time I saw it blink 4 lights (GPRS APN is OK), but that's as far as it got. I disconnected the antenna and reconnected it and got 5 green with 7 red (GPRS network initialization, error during GPRS initialization (might be temp related)), but it soon reverted to the 6 blink/reboot pattern so I think that 7 red was just temporary confusion. I will be testing this all again tonight, though, when it cools down, in case it wasn't anomalous (very hot day here).

I have the newest firmware (2.6.5 TR version, updated with pickit) and the GPRS switch inside the module is pushed away from the LEDs. The antenna is connected properly, it seems, as I've tried reconnecting it a few times. My car was previously configured for AT&T and now I'm on H2O, so I would imagine some sort of settings need to be changed, but I'm not sure how to do that without the car having cell service? I logged into my account on the OVMS website and changed my car's phone number to the correct new one, under the "OVMS Vehicle Telephone Number" field in the vehicles -> change vehicle heading. I also filled out all the "SMS provisioning" as best I could, using att.mvno as the APN setting (which I think is right for h2o), but it doesn't seem to be saving the information on the site after I fill it out and click back through to that page.

So, does this just mean my cell service is too poor or something? It should have coverage here, I did make a call with the new SIM on a normal phone when checking to see that it was activated. Or do I need to buy a new antenna, or a new OVMS unit entirely? :-/ Or is there hopefully something very simple I've missed?
What have you done so far? What SIM did you use before? I had to disable (flip the switch) GPRS in order for the text messages to change the settings, then re-enabled and everything has been working perfectly.

As tomsax says on page 28 of this thread, the only command necessary to change from AT&T to H2O is:
GPRS att.mvno - -

What have you done so far? What SIM did you use before? I had to disable (flip the switch) GPRS in order for the text messages to change the settings, then re-enabled and everything has been working perfectly.

As tomsax says on page 28 of this thread, the only command necessary to change from AT&T to H2O is:
GPRS att.mvno - -

I disabled the switch as you said, and it eventually gave me 2 green blinks (yay!). I sent that GPRS command and got no response, then tried to send STAT and also got no response. Going to try a couple more times right now.

Had been using AT&T, but only used it for about a month before it ran out of money and I gave up on it because it was of limited usefulness to me (this was before I knew of the TR specific firmware, cooldown functions, charge until X, etc.)

It's also giving me 5green/7red (GPRS network initialization, error during GPRS initialization (might be temp related)), but that seems normal since I have GPRS turned off right?

I switched the switch back and now I'm getting 5green/9red. Which isn't even listed as a possible error code :-/

Last edited: